Hello!

I'm before the buying some new guitar. I'm currently interesting in Epiphonei Flying V and Epiphone Explorers.

Explorers: Is there build quality differences between explorer Goth '58 Explorer, 1958 Korina Explorer and 1984 Explorer EX? I see the 1984 EX have EMG pickups... but the rest is equal right? I just ask, becouse I'll buy a used guitar, and there is huge price difference betwwen the goth' 58 and the 1958 Korina Explorer, but for me the only diffent is just the colour, but I found the gothic for 150 euro, and the 1958 is for 300 euro, therefore I ask.

Flying V's: Currently there is just a Machine Head signature Flying V guitar what I found used, is this build good, as just the Flyng V korina?

Do you think it's a bit degrading beside of EC1000 and 5150 in quality?

Also, what would be your chioce?
Last edited by venndi88 at Oct 19, 2015,
Quote by venndi88
Hello!

I'm before the buying some new guitar. I'm currently interesting in Epiphonei Flying V and Epiphone Explorers.

Explorers: Is there build quality differences between explorer Goth '58 Explorer, 1958 Korina Explorer and 1984 Explorer EX?

Nobody here can answer that question concretely, but I would assume no.

The main difference between the 3 guitars that isn't plain to see is that the Korina has Korina veneers, but that's about it. There's been a lot of conjecture about what the body of the Korinas are actually made from underneath the veneers. In some years, some claim its poplar, some claim its alder, some claim its mahogany and some claim it is actually real Korina (doesn't make sense to me if this is true). Epiphone claims its mahogany. Not that any of this really matters very much.

Out of the 3 guitars, I'd have the '84 just because it has better pickups and white explorers look cool.

The Gothic guitars might cost more than the Korinas just because most kids prefer the look of them, so they're willing to spend more. It also very much depends on their condition. The Korinas have gold hardware, which tends to flake off very quickly which devalues the guitar for example.
Flying V's: Currently there is just a Machine Head signature Flying V guitar what I found used, is this build good, as just the Flyng V korina?

Also, what would be your chioce?

That sig V is very different to the others because it's a baritone. I have played one, and the particular example I played claimed it was made in Korea, not China. It also has an ebony fretboard, locking Grovers and emo inlays. And if you associate a product with a particular artist, people are going to be willing to pay more for it, which allows Epiphone to ramp up the cost.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thanks!

Oh, I didn't know, that the new Robb Flynn signature is 27 inch, the old Robb Flynn MH signature is 24.75.
Maybe the 27" would be better, becouse I'll tune into standard B, but also, for the 24.75" guitar work on standard C also, which is my LTD EC-1000. bands like In Flames, Amon Amarth, At The Gates play also in 24.75. MH is not my biggest lovely band, but if I can get it for a decent price, I'll buy it. The older has better look for me, http://www.black-legion-shop.de/mailorder/bilder/produkte/gross/MACHINE-HEAD-Bloodstone-Diamonds-CD-Epiphone-Flying-V-Gitarre_b2.jpg
I know this is totally out of your criteria, but you should check out the Matt Heafy LP custom. Ebony fretboard, ultra access neck joint, emg 81/85's. Overall badassery.
Quote by venndi88
I think the older, what have I put in my previous post, has 24.75" scale, Official link: http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2014/Ltd-Ed-Machine-Head-Bloodstone-Diamonds-Guitar.aspx , but nevermind.

Just for curiosity, what would be your choice, explorer or flying V.

Which Explorer and which Flying V?

Otherwise, my answer is get a used Gibson.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 19, 2015,
Epiphone explorers (whichever) or Epiphone Flying V (whichever).
Yeah, I would choose Gibson Flying V, but it's out of my budget. I have an LP shaped guitar(EC-1000), I would go something else, with flying V or with explorer shaped guitar. The LTD EXP's are also on my list, but I didn't find, I think it's a rare guitar on the market.
Would you rather have an Explorer or a V? Please define this.

If you have no other possible alternative and you cannot afford a Gibson, then for a Flying V, I'd get a Korina and mod it, but this is far from ideal. The 27" scale Rob Flynn V has cool specs but they graphics look god awful. Is the Jeff Waters V a possibility? Does it have to be an Epiphone? What's available to you in terms of Jacksons and LTDs?

Regarding explorers, I'd get the '84 hands down since it's essentially the same as the Gothic, but has better specs. But again, this isn't ideal. I'd get a used Gibson.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Build quality should be equal as they’re all made at the same factory.
I picked up an early 2000's Gothic gibson v for $400 off of CL, brilliant fucking guitar. I realize that it would probably be hard to find one that cheap, but gibsons can be found in range. There a lot of options out there non epi/gibson to check out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would rather buy a flying V. I like the Gibson flying V the most (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/2/7/0/5/27051/pics/_c302608_image_0.jpg), for example this Epi V (http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/lot0037.jpg) I would't buy. I know it's not a big difference, but really don't like this, I would buy only with an original look, like Gibson V have.
I don't like the LTD and Jackson explorers and V's, except LTD EXP 200, 300.
What do you think about Tokai flying V? It's between the Gibson and Epi meaning in quality?