Hello everyone!
I'm new in here and happy to be a member
I have both a silicon- and a germaniumtransistor based fuzz pedal, and I was wondering if I could get that "Hendrix fuzzy octave-up" sound if I combine one of them with a normal octave pedal like the Boss OC-3. I considered buying a Whammy pedal too, but I read that it wouldn't work so well for these purposes.

I also read that the sound that comes out of the Roger Mayer Octavia is produced by focusing on specific overtones of the fuzz itself, that it does not work like an octave effect before or after a fuzz unit because it is one and the same effect...

Does anybody have any pedal recommendation to get that Hendrix tone in combination with my fuzz pedal(s)? It would be nice to get that effect being able to use "the octave part of it" separately too, or to add it after adding the fuzz for example.

Any thoughts or information about this are very welcome and appreciated!

Cheers, J.
Last edited by bluesjules at Oct 19, 2015,
I've done that sort of thing with a Way Huge Swollen Pickle going into a Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter.
It may not sound exactly the same, but it does sound pretty damn awesome.

There are plenty of octave fuzz pedals out there.
Look into some Basic Audio stuff ( http://www.basicaudio.net/index.php ).
The guy that builds them knows his stuff, but I dunno if he has an octave fuzz.

The tycobrahe Octavia is basically a "bastarization" of the Roger Mayer Octavia (reputedly that word was straight from Roger Mayer himself)
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 19, 2015,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The octave fuzz sound is a bit different than using an octave and a fuzz, it's a bit more glitchy, at times subtle (for lack of a better word) and changes with where you play on the nick/pickups. But it can still sound cool, look at Jack White!
Also John Mayer gets a great octafuzz sound using an EHX microsynth (i think) which he uses on 'Belief' live

But one option is Earthquaker's tentacle pedalwhich does what you want; adds that octave effect to any dirt/fuzz you want!
http://earthquakerdevices.com/cart_product.cfm/prod_id/82060/

Otherwise i built a tycobrahe octavia, which does sound pretty awesome, and works nice in conjuncton with other pedals. Even if it is a 'bastardization' haha
Keep in mind that most octave fuzzes are octave up, while the Boss OC -3 is an octave (or two) down. So it's not a good candidate for this use.

Otherwise, yes. A clean octave up and a fuzz pedal will be close enough to do the job in most cases.
Many thanks for your ideas and advise!!

@CodeMonk: I was looking for a "clean" octave pedal as I already have fuzzes, to get exactly that effect that the tycobrahe puts out.

@dannyalcatraz: As you said the Catalinbread Perseus is a sub-octave pedal... it was no good idea to write putting the Boss OC-3 for example, but I would need a +1 octave.

@jaybals: I had a look at the Tentacle and the EHX Microsynth, didn't know that one, but I was already wondering how JM gets the effect he gets when live-soloing in "Belief". Something like the Tentacle would be what I was looking for - looks nice too .

As @Roc8995 proposes, I will try to combine my fuzzes with a clean octave pedal, and I think I will go for the Whammy, as it is much more versatile than most others. As I want pretty exactly that Hendrix sound and can combine with 2 fuzzes it could work somehow... I will see if afterwards I (need to) get a Tycobrahe Kit or something like the Tentacle just for that one damn sound...

Thanks again everyone, have a nice one!
J.
Forgot you were looking to go up. Sorry!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Forgot you were looking to go up. Sorry!

No worries, thanks for caring! My fault with the Boss OC-3 in the beggining.
As I recall, the EHX POG pedals can all do an octave up.

Thinking outside the (stomp)box, the Earthquaker Devices Arpanoid and Rainbow Machine both add some rising tones, albeit not in the same way as a true octaver. The Arpanoid uses arpeggios (hence the name), while the Rainbow Machine is much more chaotic.

The TWA Great Divide is not an octave-fuzz, but it is a fairly fuzzy octave synth...and powerful one at that.

http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/hand-built/great-divide-2-analog-synth-octaver

Ain't cheap, though...if you can even find one.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 20, 2015,
Thanks again! I think Ill go for the Whammy because of the pedal thing too and try it out... the POGs would maybe do the job and I think I will test the Pog2 of a friend of mine.

I did not know that TWA (didn't even know the brand/manufacturer!), thanks for the tip - sounds "interesting" the least
Voodoo lab proctavia. I think I paid around $60 a few years back. Great pedal and reasonably priced on the used market.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Keep your eyes open- there are all kinds of inventive pedal builders out there. You'll see some HUGE pedals with all kinds of dials, etc., and there might be that little extra jack on the side for an expression pedal. Others have internal trim pots.

IOW, do your research, and enjoy the hunt!

@trashedlostfdup I had a look at that one too, seems to sound good, but I did not know that the price was so reasonable. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!
Last edited by bluesjules at Oct 21, 2015,
Quote by bluesjules
Many thanks for your ideas and advise!!

@CodeMonk: I was looking for a "clean" octave pedal as I already have fuzzes, to get exactly that effect that the tycobrahe puts out.

@dannyalcatraz: As you said the Catalinbread Perseus is a sub-octave pedal... it was no good idea to write putting the Boss OC-3 for example, but I would need a +1 octave.

@jaybals: I had a look at the Tentacle and the EHX Microsynth, didn't know that one, but I was already wondering how JM gets the effect he gets when live-soloing in "Belief". Something like the Tentacle would be what I was looking for - looks nice too .

As @Roc8995 proposes, I will try to combine my fuzzes with a clean octave pedal, and I think I will go for the Whammy, as it is much more versatile than most others. As I want pretty exactly that Hendrix sound and can combine with 2 fuzzes it could work somehow... I will see if afterwards I (need to) get a Tycobrahe Kit or something like the Tentacle just for that one damn sound...

Thanks again everyone, have a nice one!
J.

The Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter is a clean octave pedal.
But it does a whole lot more than just octave up, it does octave down as well, although two octaves down its tracking gets kinda crappy.
And a ton of other features, like any interval, not just octaves,
You want to harmonize with a 4th or 5th? you got it. How about a 2nd? you got it.
Emulates a whammy bar, detunes, and other cool stuff.
IMO, its a really fun pedal
Boss now has the PS-6 Harmonizer which is basically the PS-5 with some new features.
One of the regulars here has one and seems to like it, last I heard.

The thing about the tycobrahe and most octave fuzz pedals is they are "glitchy" in a nice way.

The Whammy is a great choice IMO though.
Probably the best choice for what you need and usable for a shit load of other stuff as well.

I still regret not getting one when I had the money though.
I tried it once at Guitar Center but wasn't impressed with it, but I didn't really give it much of a chance.
Some day though, I will get one.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 21, 2015,
A bit late to the discussion, but I just came across the Movall Audio Octopuzz in a few gear demos. Low-budget octave fuzz ( > $70 USD), cheaper than some of the standalone octave effects like the Tentacle. I think I might pick up the Octopuzz eventually just to try it out, I haven't actually had a fuzz before though so...
Another nice one I forgot- Visual Sound's Angry Fuzz. Currently out of production, but TrueTone (VS's new name) has been bringing back some older pedals, and the Angry Fuzz can still be found for @$45-90 on the used market.

http://truetone.com/archive-pedals/v2-angry-fuzz/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFO_GrwxIiM&sns=em

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 21, 2015,
Just to put things together in case anybody finds this thread later with the same question I had:
It is not possible to get the Roger Mayer Octavia/Tycobrahe effect with two separate pedals (fuzz and octaver), but you may come close to it with a different or less selfrecreating, glitchy approach to the effect.

In case anybody is looking for more octafuzzes, I played this one once for a few hours and it was very, very fun and nice sounding to my ears - very expensive though:
http://drno-effects.com/products/octofuzz/

@Codemonk: Whammy +1 to have a pedal itself on the same stompbox is a big plus...
Quote by bluesjules
Just to put things together in case anybody finds this thread later with the same question I had:
It is not possible to get the Roger Mayer Octavia/Tycobrahe effect with two separate pedals (fuzz and octaver), but you may come close to it with a different or less selfrecreating, glitchy approach to the effect.

In case anybody is looking for more octafuzzes, I played this one once for a few hours and it was very, very fun and nice sounding to my ears - very expensive though:
http://drno-effects.com/products/octofuzz/

@Codemonk: Whammy +1 to have a pedal itself on the same stompbox is a big plus...

Hmm..interesting.
Why do I get the feeling its a clone of this pedal? : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1765020668/hcfx-behold-the-octophant
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 22, 2015,
Another one to consider.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/sf01-slash-octave-fuzz

II think you can approximate the Octavia effects by combining other effects, but you probably won't nail it without one.

I've never been satisfied with this personally. Octavia style fuzzes get their signature sound from that unstable "pseudo-ring mod" effect that happens, which is a lot more than just "mix in a higher octave".
Was just reminded of another octave-up octafuzz, the Catalinbread Octopussy.

There's just a plain old octave up pedal in the EQD Tentacle, which I believe is the circuit in their Hoof Reaper.

Similarly, there's the Bigfoot Engineering Octo Puss; there's also the Octo Puss Prime which has the fuzz in it too.
It is. And it's pretty good, too.