Hello all!

I've been using a pedal board for the last few years, but I have been thinking of switching it up. It takes a lot longer than I'd like to set it all up before a gig, and I'm not really able to switch between effects consistently. So here's the question...

Would it be "better" to try out a multi effects pedal with a 4 cable method or to set up a small rack system, with just a preamp for effects?

I mainly play various forms of metal, along with some atmospheric stuff. I'm using a Peavey 6505+ head with a Mesa cab. I live in the southeast US and have a budget of maybe $900 max? No problems going used.

So yeah, any advice or insight would be great.

Thanks.
a multi-fx unit could be the ticket. you could also look into a midi system using your existing pedals. another though of course is to consider simplifying your pedal setup as well.
Quote by monwobobbo
another though of course is to consider simplifying your pedal setup as well.

Definitely an option- there are several pedals that combine 2-3 effects in a single housing, which helps. And there are a number of companies making compact pedals, too...

What is your current effects chain? What to you feel is absolutely indispensable?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What is your current effects chain? What to you feel is absolutely indispensable?

I use a tuner and tube screamer in my chain, while I use a noise gate, EQ, delay, and reverb in my loop. It's not really overly complicated I guess, switching effects is just impossible.

On another note, I used a RP500 a long time ago, but wasn't that impressed. I was also fairly new to effects, so maybe that was it.
Why are you having issues switching?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Why are you having issues switching?

I only use the EQ for soloing, along with the reverb and delay. I have to activate three pedals at once to get it to where I want. I also can't switch between lead and clean channels because of having to tap dance between everything.
Well, if it delivers the tones you seek, a MFX unit would be the ideal solution for that.

If you can't find one that does, you might- I'm sorry to say- want to add something like a Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher or the (larger) Carl Martin Octa Switch.

http://www.voodoolab.com/switcher.htm
https://carlmartin.com/octa_switch_mk2/

Devices like these will let you switch between the pedal combos you need with a single foot tap while using the pedals you love to use.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 20, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, if it delivers the tones you seek, a MFX unit would be the ideal solution for that.

If you can't find one that does, you might- I'm sorry to say- want to add something like a Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher or the (larger) Carl Martin Octa Switch.

http://www.voodoolab.com/switcher.htm
https://carlmartin.com/octa_switch_mk2/

Devices like these will let you switch between the pedal combos you need with a single foot tap while using the pedals you love to use.

Thanks for your help man, I'll keep that in mind. Any insight on multi-effects units?
The only MFX units I've used are out of the mainstream- a variety of portable digital modelers (essentially Korg, Tascam & Boss versions of the Line 6 POD) and the DigiTech iPB-10, which- while powerful- requires the use of an iPad or iPad2.

Quote by Drovanguard
I only use the EQ for soloing, along with the reverb and delay. I have to activate three pedals at once to get it to where I want. I also can't switch between lead and clean channels because of having to tap dance between everything.

I understand the inconvenience, but you can easily click eq then reverb then delay in the three beats before you start and finish your solo. I get that you want it to sound as great as possible, but you can do it easily if you have the individual pedals that sound really good.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Get a loop switcher. Easy to build too, just jacks, a switch, and an optional led. Then you could have all three on in that loop on, then click the switcher and that's all you need to do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I would suggest a programmable switching pedal. This would allow you to switch multiple pedals with one foot stomp. Also, it would allow you to use your available pedals so you can get the tone you are already used to.