Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new electric guitar for me to play whilst in uni and as the only good ones I have have floyd rose systems on them, I'm looking for one where I can change the tuning quick and easily so no tremolo is essential. The only other guitar I have is an EX-50 (Do you think I should just start using this again?)

I play mostly metal such as metallica and iron maiden but play other stuff such as guns n roses, muse, foo fighters etc.

Budget is around £300-£400 but the less the better. I also dont really mind buying used, but new is better

Thanks!
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Be more specific on what your preferences actually are.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Be more specific on what your preferences actually are.

On the guitar itself or the music I play?
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
What you want in a guitar like scale length, pickups, fretboard, frets, etc.

There are hundreds of guitars that meet "fixed bridge between 300 and 400."
Scale: 25.5"
Pickups: Pref EMG's (81s/60s) but I know thats a push in cheap guitars
Fretboard: Ebony or rosewood
Neck: Pref Thin U neck (pref neck through but doesnt really matter)
XJ frets
Would prefer fret inlays but obviously not essential at all

let me know if there's anything else I can add
What kind of body style do you want? What kind of neck joint do you want?

Given those preferences, what on the used market do you like the look of? There are a sea of guitars available with those specs on the used market.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 19, 2015,
To be honest all the popular body styles (Explorer's, V's, Strats, Les pauls) appeal to me and I dont really have any preference (Although I dont own a les paul shape guitar yet, so that would be a bonus). A through neck would be nice but I have played different neck joints and I dont really mind which joint it has.

That's the point, I dont really know where to start looking. I have been looking at Les pauls only because I have always wanted one, but I know they are not what I'm looking for. Other than that, I have seen a couple of Jackson rr3's but I need more suggestions
Quote by monwobobbo
look at used BC Rich probably Warlock

I did have a quick look at those a while back but I don't like the body shape and the one I played in a store wasn't very nice to play
Quote by Tony Done
You could always block the FR on one of them.

Ye I've thought about doing this. What's the best way of doing it and also how hard is it to do? I assume it's pretty simple
Quote by UKMaster
To be honest all the popular body styles (Explorer's, V's, Strats, Les pauls) appeal to me and I dont really have any preference (Although I dont own a les paul shape guitar yet, so that would be a bonus). A through neck would be nice but I have played different neck joints and I dont really mind which joint it has.

That's the point, I dont really know where to start looking. I have been looking at Les pauls only because I have always wanted one, but I know they are not what I'm looking for. Other than that, I have seen a couple of Jackson rr3's but I need more suggestions

Well if you're not really sure where to start looking, I'd suggest going to a guitar store and finding out what you want this guitar to be like. By having no preference over something as basic as the body shape, then you're not defining your search enough for an obvious answer to come out of it.
Quote by UKMaster
Ye I've thought about doing this. What's the best way of doing it and also how hard is it to do? I assume it's pretty simple

Think for yourself about how it would be done.

If the block in the back of the guitar is moving back and forth, which provides impetus for the Floyd to move back and forth, how does one stop the floyd from moving back and forth?

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I've never done an FR, but I routinely block fender trems simply by jamming a piece of wood between the back of the trem block and the wall of the trem block cavity. I also remove the claw and springs.

IIC, you can buy a gadget for locking FRs, but I don't know what it is called.
Quote by Tony Done
I've never done an FR, but I routinely block fender trems simply by jamming a piece of wood between the back of the trem block and the wall of the trem block cavity. I also remove the claw and springs.

IIC, you can buy a gadget for locking FRs, but I don't know what it is called.

Ah I see, thanks! In that case, I'm guessing you'd just need another block of wood to stop it going the other way, which sounds easy enough.

But everyone likes a good excuse to buy a new guitar :P
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well if you're not really sure where to start looking, I'd suggest going to a guitar store and finding out what you want this guitar to be like. By having no preference over something as basic as the body shape, then you're not defining your search enough for an obvious answer to come out of it.

Think for yourself about how it would be done.

If the block in the back of the guitar is moving back and forth, which provides impetus for the Floyd to move back and forth, how does one stop the floyd from moving back and forth?

Hahaha thanks :P

OK, let's say, for example, I wanted these specific specs (or as close as possible):

Les Paul shape,
Ebony fretboard,
25.5" scale with XJ frets
EMG pickups
Thin U neck through
fixed bridge

what would you suggest?
For a guitar with such specs, going used is your only option if you only have £400.

Maybe a Charvel Desolation DS1 ST. Though I'm not a fan of them. They have a Rosewood board and Blackouts instead of EMG's though. But they do have a 25.5" scale and it is a neck-through; two features that are very uncommon on singlecut guitars.

How important is neck through construction and a 25.5" scale to you?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
For a guitar with such specs, going used is your only option if you only have £400.

Maybe a Charvel Desolation DS1 ST. Though I'm not a fan of them. They have a Rosewood board and Blackouts instead of EMG's though. But they do have a 25.5" scale and it is a neck-through; two features that are very uncommon on singlecut guitars.

Thanks I'll check it out now. The 25.5" scale is quite important, but the neck through is not really important as I've played with bold on necks as well and they are fine to play
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Just checked and none of the Charvel's are available in the UK
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Just checked and none of the Charvel's are available in the UK
LTD EC___ have emgs, are in budget, neck like you are describing, lp shaped.

Only downside is that I think they are 24.75" scale.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have a n epi les paul traditional pro. Its a good guitar and its pretty versatile
Not many 25.5" scale LP bodied guitars. I know Godin makes a couple, but none sport EMGs. Probably few available in that price range used, either.

Set neck in that scale is rare, top.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 20, 2015,
Asides from the scale length an LTD EC(not sure which model is in the price range) would be an almost perfect fit.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
LTD EC___ have emgs, are in budget, neck like you are describing, lp shaped.

Only downside is that I think they are 24.75" scale.

Thanks! I just checked and I can get an ec-401 for just under £400 or the ec-1000 for just under £500, do you think spending the extra £100 is worth it?
Quote by UKMaster
Thanks! I just checked and I can get an ec-401 for just under £400 or the ec-1000 for just under £500, do you think spending the extra £100 is worth it?

Yes. The fact that the 1000's are made in Korea means that they're made in a better factory.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yes. The fact that the 1000's are made in Korea means that they're made in a better factory.

Alright I'll probably go for the EC-1000 if I can bring myself to spend the money :P thanks for the help!
I had a 400 then a 401 and then a 1000.the 400 was better than the 401, the 400 wasn't far off of the 1000. The 400's were Korean and better than the 401's

I think you will be quite happy with an EC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/