1 7%
Song 10
0 0%
Voters: 15.
Page 1 of 2
Hoi

So much fresh blood. Welcome guys!

And hi there regulars

Btw, the poll is open for a bit longer because there are a lot of songs. Five days are enough, right?

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Wanderlust" (wardyh)

2 - "Eyes So Fine" (TheMattGusta)

3 - "Descent To Madness" (DisarmGoliath)

4 - "Keep From Drowning" (xTURTLENECKx)

5 - "Along This Venous River's Tide" (seventh_angel)

6 - "Inferior One" (SirZep)

7 - "Agatha" (chev311e, FoOltz)

8 - "Are You" (nico_9550, whywefight)

9 - "Perpetual Motion Machine" (Papersparrow)

10 - "Drive" (mind_meld)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's last time's most voted FREE WEEK song,
from whywefight, it's "lexapro"!

AND

Here are last week's most voted COVERS,
from K'Nuckles, the song "Brave (Katatonia cover)",
and from ultimate-slash, the song "Always (Erasure cover)"!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Sunday (post your song for next week meanwhile). The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group.

------------------
Go forth and make them swoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usj04lGrmAo

Check out last week's COVERS thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33633488
OR
Check out the previous FREE WEEK thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1682978
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Lol "Agatha" more like "Ágata" amirite seventh_angel and sickman? heheheheheheheh....he...

Haha yeah, totally get it. Funny stuff!

hehe 'Ágata'... get a load of this guy!

This thread is treading the line between funny and cringey, and I like that very much.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 20, 2015,
Voted for Decent To Madness because METAL.
I also really liked Papersparrow's song, the guitar kind of reminded me of Wish You Were Here at the start for some reason.
hm i was trying to make it sound like deftones lol

i voted for turtleneck btw but all the songs were good
I made that comparison too
Quote by SirZep
Good choice. Give this man a can of coke.

disagree entirely, pepsi is far more fitting
Last edited by whywefight at Oct 20, 2015,
Quote by FoOltz
I also really liked Papersparrow's song, the guitar kind of reminded me of Wish You Were Here at the start for some reason.

Thats cool that you hear that. I've heard "Fade into You" from Mazzy Star
Gonna write a detailed critique of each one (except my own, obviously ) because Facebook and a load of other sites appear to be down in the UK at the moment haha. Will vote afterwards, but had a quick listen through a few posted before mine on the group page the other day and was impressed.

Edit: Change of plan, Soundcloud is not working for me either Right now I can get on UG, google and random sites I don't normally use.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by whywefight
Hey chev your song reminds me of just a friend by biz markie

So I had to look this song up to know what it was and whoa one of his friends is Agatha
Quote by FoOltz

Thank you!

This has a nice chilled out feel, starts stripped back with the instrumentation then builds up from first chorus on. I could see this working well as mood-influencing music in a tv show as something dramatic has taken place and it cuts to various scenes of the characters shell-shocked by some major event (e.g. in a crime drama, officers/detectives have arrived to a scene and found a colleague dead). Not to say the song sounds dark, just has a powerful sense of standing still as things pass you by.

Not gonna lie, I'm not the best person to talk about this kind of thing - it's quite far from the music I usually make or listen to - so I'll try and be reasonable with this It has a hypnotic feel with the pulsing sawtooth-synth kinda sound panning around and emphasising a natural rhythm the clicks punctuate nicely. I found the little trills on the spanish guitar (I think?) a little distracting, no offence, but the other lead lines were cool. I'm afraid I don't think I can say too much more as I'm not sure I 'got' the real idea of the piece. Still a decent effort though!

I didn't wanna go too much into mix critique because I don't imagine most of you are after that, but I have to say you've done a good job getting the strummed guitars sounding big and wide without any phasing/chorus-y effects, nice one. I think this would benefit from less synth in places and more in others, or something lower down the register perhaps. Has a nice, upbeat feel though it sounds as though you've recorded the vocals quite quietly (particularly the first few lines), if volume isn't an issue with neighbours, you might find it easier to nail sang with a little more power/gusto thrown in

Very nice tone to the guitar here, and a pleasant intro - vocals suit well, though I'm not 100% sold on the phrasing of the chorus (just the last word), though it works well enough. Nice change of feeling when you jump up the next octave after first chorus. When everything came in after second chorus I had a big shock haha, wasn't expecting that burst of instrumentation, but nice that you've consciously built up for each time through to choruses.

As a side note, it really reminds me of this when the song starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAP9AF6DCu4

Again a cool chilled out feel, was expecting the vocals to start at 0:17 but I get that you wanted that instrumentation to develop before dropping back for start of the verse. Interesting effect on the vocals, sounds like you're in another dimension speaking through a rift between parallel universes Think I'd have toned it back after first verse, but it does work well with your voice. Shorter than I was expecting, as seemed to end quite abruptly, but overall I liked it

Can definitely hear what the others are saying about 'Everlong' but your song is original enough elsewhere in my opinion. Cool dynamic with the verses and heavier sections, it is equally apparent you wanted that Deftones-esque song structure and I think you nailed it. I think the vocal effects added to that, though in a couple of places you got quite loud and it may have been overpowering the rest of the instrumentation. Solid effort though, with a tighter production (obviously they had a huge budget on their stuff) it wouldn't feel out of place on a Deftones album if you could clone Chino's voice

Almost a jazzy lounge feel as this one starts, though the voice is more soulful (nice vocals by the way, really tasteful!)... really feels like being transported back in time to the 1920s/early '30s, albeit the production is much clearer/mixed with modern separation techniques. The harmonics towards the end add a nice touch, though perhaps sit a little high in the mix becoming more dominant than I think you wanted. Otherwise though, not really got anything suggestive for improvements, very impressive in both sound and performance!

First thing I noticed was the artwork, very cool - did you make that yourself? Really suits the music. Don't take this the wrong way but I think I prefer your voice as it's close to breaking into a soft falsetto, and feel this song would work better shifted up a semitone or two in key (would probably find the first section didn't drop too low into your bass range as well), but obviously that's your creative decision and nothing to do with me haha. Almost reminds me of a stripped back The Verve, or even Coldplay before they went a bit shit, dunno if that is what you were going for but it definitely has that sort of vibe to me (not a bad thing).

Before I forget to say it, I saw you followed me on Soundcloud and followed back to be polite but don't be surprised if you don't see almost anything from me on there - I have the account but haven't used it in years until the other day, just followed the format others were doing

I like this song, and feel the guitars and bass tie together really well. The vocal vibe is cool, especially the harmonisation with thick vibrato. Only real thing I'd say is vocals could use a bit of compression/automation to really pop as they're a bit quiet in places (early on in song mainly). Upbeat and cheery though, not thought of a lot to say which means I didn't think of much I'd change.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Almost a jazzy lounge feel as this one starts, though the voice is more soulful (nice vocals by the way, really tasteful!)... really feels like being transported back in time to the 1920s/early '30s, albeit the production is much clearer/mixed with modern separation techniques. The harmonics towards the end add a nice touch, though perhaps sit a little high in the mix becoming more dominant than I think you wanted. Otherwise though, not really got anything suggestive for improvements, very impressive in both sound and performance!

Hey thanks for the nice words

wwf's singing was great and the sax was a wonderful addition
Quote by DisarmGoliath at #33645825

Very nice tone to the guitar here, and a pleasant intro - vocals suit well, though I'm not 100% sold on the phrasing of the chorus (just the last word), though it works well enough. Nice change of feeling when you jump up the next octave after first chorus. When everything came in after second chorus I had a big shock haha, wasn't expecting that burst of instrumentation, but nice that you've consciously built up for each time through to choruses.

As a side note, it really reminds me of this when the song starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAP9AF6DCu4
Thank you so much for this comment.

I will without shame admit that I like that song.

Anyway, remember when I said two days ago "I will probably check this tomorrow ?"

Well, I will definitely check this tomorrow.
wardyh - It has a very lush and clean production. The song itself is pleasant and nice to have on the background, ahtough not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid. It's one of those songs that doesn't strike me anything negative, though.

TheMattGusta - I really liked the weird sounds in the background. The guitar that mostly solos throughout the song sometimes hits and misses, some notes were kind of odd choices, but the song itself sounds odd, so it kind of fits most of the time. I think it deserved a more open sound, but I have the same issues with getting my sound more open, so, with time I think.

DisarmGoliath - The production is great. I'm not really into metal anymore, and the song has a bit of run-of-the-mill sound and structure, but the whole thing comes across pretty tightly woven, and that's pretty great.

xTURTLENECKx - I'd mix the voice a bit lower, in my opinion; it's too in your face and I think it would sound better more blended with the instrumentation. Really like the arrangement. Really like the song. I'd add more layers to it in the background, to make it more noisy as it reached the end. I'm saying all these things and I'm afraid I'm sounding harsh, but I really liked the song and I feel it has great potential.

SirZep - It's really pretty. I don't have a lot to say; it's just a really great song.

chev311e, FoOltz - Not sure if I like the work on the vocals in the context of the song. They feel a bit out of place with the song, and way too loud in the mix. Despite that, it's a song that has a very good grungy feeling to it, and I like the climax.

nico_9550, whywefight - Has a very exotic melody to it. I think I'd just ditch the drum altogether. The rest of the intrumentation fills the song nicely enough. Very well written song.

Papersparrow - A nice, mellow feel to it. Reminds me of some of the less proggy Steven Wilson stuff. I wish it kind of "progressed more". The atmospheric sounds at the end were a nice touch.

mind_meld - It has this old-school feel-good vibe to it that I find quite enjoyable. I think the vocals needed a more thorough work, in the sense that sometimes they're not very audible; basically, just to make them more concise.

Went for SirZep.
I have to say, since that front page boost we've been getting quite a few great newcomers. TheMattGusta takes my vote this time

And yeah, Mini and seventh, I've had that Ágata song stuck in my head for 2 days, you cocks.
Quote by sickman411 at #33648378
I have to say, since that front page boost we've been getting quite a few great newcomers. TheMattGusta takes my vote this time

And yeah, Mini and seventh, I've had that Ágata song stuck in my head for 2 days, you cocks.
I can try to change that
Keep from Drowning got my vote.

The vocals are awful, dude you (or your singer) needs a lot more practice or to try a different approach. I would have preferred it just be belted out with passion than what was going on there. Try to get away from that breathy tone.

But this vote has nothing to do with performance or production values (of which there were some stellar jobs in this weeks entries). The guitars were good by the way

I'm trying to look at the song. There were some really good songs here but the opening few lines of lyric in this song were great. earned my vote.
Si
Quote by seventh_angel
I can try to change that

Yeah I don't know whether to accept or decline... But you know, like I said, we've had a thread that devolved into Chama o António and É o Bicho being posted so I think I'm ready for whatever might come.
Quote by sickman411 at #33648451
Yeah I don't know whether to accept or decline... But you know, like I said, we've had a thread that devolved into Chama o António and É o Bicho being posted so I think I'm ready for whatever might come.
May your left ear enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In2V5XVpSZ8

( I like how I basically screwed myself with this one )
Page 1 of 2