Hello,

My ax40 has recently stopped dead, it slowly started to lose sound temporarily when I tweaked the volume knob. I could tap it lightly and the sound would come back. Now I can get no sound out of my guitar at all.

Any ideas how I can fault find and fix this myself? I gather its just a loose connection, or something simple?

What equipment would I need?

Thanks
Yep sounds like your pot just got it's wire knocked a bit. You'll just need the screwdriver to get the guitar open, a sautering gun to re-sauter the connection, and maybe a piece of wire, in case the wire needs to be replaced, or if youd' just like to. Easiest way to see which connection is bad is a voltmeter, but since it was a temporary issue to start, I'd just look for a loose wire. Open the guitar up, find the volume pot from the other side, and check the 3 connections, and any grounds that might be connected to the bottom of it. If you've never sautered before, I'd get someone else to help you out, as you can make a mess, and you especially don't want to sauter two connections together that shouldn't be. You should at very least be able to troubleshoot it yourself, though.
check the wires , it could be something easy like a ground wire coming loose or something. if not worst case scenario get a new pot. I'd take advantage of this and get a push pull pot
Thanks for the replies.

I can't see any loose wires, the wires from the pot seem firmly in place, connections seem pretty solid too. Would a voltmeter be the next best option? How would I test each connection?
If the connections to it look intact, then from the description I would look at the pot itself possibly having debris in it and needing cleaning. Spray come contact cleaner into it liberally and rotate the knob back and forth to clean it out.
Thanks for the reply.

Stupid question but do I need to take the pot out to do this?
Thanks.

Think I might of found the problem...

Gather if I solder this wire back on properly my guitar will work.

Can I solder the wire back on while its in the guitar?
Last edited by gravyYelp at Nov 14, 2015,
check the connection in the jack too, maybe loose solder.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
shielding is often an issue with guitars if wires touch it they get no signal. In fact that was todays repair for me. Either we get that clearer sound through our amp or potentially have a shorting issue (no sound) every now and then if we're not careful wiring , so it's a necessary "evil".

make sure no contacts are touching the guitar control cavity
cold or loose solder joints are another issue
besides that just make sure you can give a light tug on each wire a minute or so after soldering, all goes well move onto the next wire

if it is a shielding issue and you dont want to solder any more use electric tape over the exposed wire or whatever you believe to be the problem
Thanks for all the help.

Can I use lead free solder? It contains flux and is 99.3 tin .3 copper, It came free with my Solder kit
Last edited by gravyYelp at Nov 15, 2015,
Had a few goes at this, tried using lead free, and 60/40. However, cant get the solder to melt directly from the join.

I put the solder tip on the lug where the loose wire is, heat the lug, then touch the solder to the lug (not the tip of the iron) the solder doesn't melt. Am i right in thinking this should melt this way?

I've managed to get the solder on there by touching it to the tip of the iron first, my guitar now works, and the join looks ok, is this ok?

Do you think my iron is hot enough? Do I need to leave the iron on there longer? I left it on the lug for about 30 seconds.
Last edited by gravyYelp at Nov 22, 2015,
wait for the iron to heat up first before you add solder to the loose wire and lug, and don't touch the tip to test if its hot.. that would be painful and really dumb thing to do. you do not need too much solder, just enough to hold it in place. good luck.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Thanks for the reply.

It's deffo hot enough, I can melt the solder if I touch it with just the iron tip. I'll try keeping the iron on the join for longer.
Just put enough solder on the tip, once the solder is on the wire and lug, immediately remove iron.. If you put the iron on it too long it will not help solder it on, in fact you're going to remove it.