My current rig consists of an ENGL Savage 120 but that's at our drummers house where we practice most of the time so I usually am playing on a line 6 DT50 with a Schecter 7 string with EMG 81's or an ibanez with 81X. Drop tuned barre chords with extended voicings aren't the most clear, they are audible but sometimes only barely. (The extended voicings) I went to guitar center the other day to try out some 8 strings and saw a Schecter demon 7 I think it was that had HB-105 pickups in it. At first I thought it was passive, I really liked the response and were clear with everything but found out they were active and my research found me that they were like a cheaper version of the Blackouts? Now I tried the blackouts and they were just too boomy and muddy to let extended voicings be clear. So what's up? The other factors are, I was playing on a peavy 6505 for the first time and also the string gauge on the demon was like a gauge at least thinner than im used to. I hear the HB-105's are thin and trebly but I was able to get clarity out of them. I'm assuming it's not just the 6505 since my ENGL should be able to get all the clarity possible right? It's very tight. I also hear string guages that are thinner can help take out some boomyness. Anyway, does anyone have an experience with the HB-105 to compare them to either EMG81s or Blackouts? I did play some LTD 7 with EMG 81s on that amp with the same settings and it was once again not super clear on the extended voicings.

Or alternatively/additionally is the string guage really that prominent of a sound change?
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 20, 2015,
Most of the time if certain chord voicings are flubby and mushy it's because the guitar needs to be intonated correctly. Double check that and try some stuff out, see if that doesn't help. That said, I've never been a big fan of Actives for anything beyond that wall-of-sound effect. If you want more string separation for those chuggy chords, the Seymour Duncan Pegasus is absolutely fantastic.
Okay, that makes sense although when I play each individual string/fret they sound good to me although then the tension maybe diff with other things pressed. But then there's not too many ways you can deal with that because it's not like you can program your tension for each chord.

Yeah I've been looking into passives. I play them sometimes I love them and sometimes they don't have enough output, it just feels like I turned the volume knob down on my actives. My 81x's are supposed to be more dynamic, and I think they're a little better but still it's not the best for those chords. I'm in a tough descision making place lol
Have you tried just turning the amp gain down? Lowering the gain, then sticking a Tube Screamer type pedal with the drive off and gain and tone centred massively helps to tighten up a flubby amp and accentuate individual strings.
The HB-105s are Duncan Designed, which is to say, they are cheaper alternatives to the much more expensive and lively Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Comparing EMGs to the Duncan Designed isn't really a fair fight, and the battery in the guitar at GC might not be the freshest. If you want tight bottom end for drop tunings, and expanded high end, check out the Mick Thompson Blackouts, which are beasts!
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Have you tried just turning the amp gain down? Lowering the gain, then sticking a Tube Screamer type pedal with the drive off and gain and tone centred massively helps to tighten up a flubby amp and accentuate individual strings.

Maybe for a Dual Rectumfire xD but ENGL's are super tight, would I really benefit from that? And would it change my tone to something more generic if I did?

I guess I'll try that, hopefully I'll hear a difference, I've heard from most people it helps a lot
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 21, 2015,
^ yes possibly, and maybe a bit but i dunno if i'd worry about that overly. if it does what you want it's worth it. there's not much point in sounding unique if the reason you do is because everyone else thinks you sound bad
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Knight Elijah
Maybe for a Dual Rectumfire xD but ENGL's are super tight, would I really benefit from that? And would it change my tone to something more generic if I did?

I guess I'll try that, hopefully I'll hear a difference, I've heard from most people it helps a lot

IDK my Dual Rec is pretty tight with or without my TS-9, so is my 6505+ I get good note clarity with various passives as well as EMG's with the MESA even more than the Peavey
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 22, 2015,