Hi Guys!
I just bought an IRT Studio, my first head amp and my second valve one, but I don't own a cab. I checked some forums and took a decition: a 212 cab loaded with v30's speakers. Now my options are Laney GS212PE or a carbin cab customisized with V30's (the carvin being cheaper).

But I found about this new Laney IRT-X a 200w rms expansion and wondered if it would be a better options because after asking on Paul Glovers channel from YT, he answered me it would be and sound better than a 212 cab!

But I'm trying to understandwhy is that because as far as I know, more speakers means better sound so how can this 8" expansion cab sound better than a 212?

I suppose it's because it will reproduce 200w of rms raw power against the 212 cab just proyecting the 15w from the IRT studio right?

So Is it safe to buy an IRT-X instead of a cab to play? (mostly focused on metal for now)
Can I run the Studio directly on the X or do I need to run it through a cab?
how or why is this IRT-X going to soudn better tan a 212 cab?

What else should I know or ask about this?
and BTW, as it is 200w rms, is this a good option for bedroom players?

Thanks guys! looking forward to read your opinions!
I believe you still need a cab with the IRT-X, as it allegedly "mimics" the response of your existing speaker (which of course it can't do if there isn't one...).
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I believe you still need a cab with the IRT-X, as it allegedly "mimics" the response of your existing speaker (which of course it can't do if there isn't one...).

Yeah! that's right but I just downloaded the manual and it shows the IRT Studio can be conected directly trough it with no cab...
Somewhere I read it's like a PA with a speaker to there's no need of a cab and you'd get full range tone!

So... who knows?
Personally, I'd take the Cab with V30's.

The IRT-x is nothing more than a 200watt powered monitor/wedge. and you can get a powered monitor/wedge for way cheaper than the IRT-X.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 21, 2015,
Cab with V30's gets my vote.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
I am a home player too and here is my story...

When I was upgrading my gear around a month ago, I was comparing between buying a new amp (Head + Cabinet) or buying an active monitor only and rely on my GT8 amp simulator. I went to Laney dealer and tried both options.

First I tried the IRT-X, I plugged my guitar to the IRT-X directly and it sounded like an amp for me. Actually sounded better than my Marshal valvestate amp. Then I plugged it through the GT8 and the sound was even better.

My second test was for the Laney IRT head (I tried both IRT15H and IRT Studio) over IRT-112 cabinet and of course overall sound was better then the IRT-X. It never came to my mind to test the amp head with the IRT-X.

So my suggestion is to stick to basics which is for me, amp head + cabinet. I don't think there is a need to run your amp head through an active speaker. Plus, the IRT-X was much more expensive than the IRT-112 or even the IRT-212 cabinets (at least in my country, Egypt).
Quote by carpercen
Yeah! that's right but I just downloaded the manual and it shows the IRT Studio can be conected directly trough it with no cab...
Somewhere I read it's like a PA with a speaker to there's no need of a cab and you'd get full range tone!

So... who knows?

You say this like it's desirable when it may not be. Often a significant portion of a guitarist's "tone" comes from their choice of speaker/cab, which is why modelers spend a good percentage of their capacity modeling said devices.

I can get full range tone out of any decent stereo system ever made, but that hardly makes them great guitar amplifiers.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I used my IRT studio the other day direct through the PA, and found it no where near as good a sound as through a cabinet.

Speaker cabs add a large amount of tone to your overall sound. And I needed to completely refigure my EQ to get it to where I was feeling I liked it.

I would recommend a cabinet.

Then if you are ever gigging you can have best of both worlds.

I have no idea on the IRT-X. Concept of it sounds odd. your sticking an amp into an amp..