I want to hardtail my Floyd Rose guitar, I rarely even use the bar anymore so it makes tuning a bitch. How can I quickly block it off?
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Yup. Wood blocks. I taped a bunch of spare picks together and used that for awhile, too.
Or sell it, but that's a little extreme.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Actually, I am in the process of selling it. I'm not too fond of the guitar and I want to try out a 7 so until I can sell it I'd like to at least be able to change tunings quickly. Thanks for the suggestions
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL

These things are fairly cheap and let you make the Floyd dive-only, which solves the most common Floyd tuning issues (i.e. knife edges, and the general chore of tuning up after a restring).
This is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUTXO8G?keywords=tremolo%20stopper&qid=1445373916&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Disadvantage is you need to drill a couple holes, but the advantage is it's easy to adjust, still lets you dive and it's a lot cheaper than a Tremol-no.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

These things are fairly cheap and let you make the Floyd dive-only, which solves the most common Floyd tuning issues (i.e. knife edges, and the general chore of tuning up after a restring).
This is the one I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUTXO8G?keywords=tremolo%20stopper&qid=1445373916&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Disadvantage is you need to drill a couple holes, but the advantage is it's easy to adjust, still lets you dive and it's a lot cheaper than a Tremol-no.

I have one of these on my Jackson. They're easy to install and they do indeed work, but they're a pain to adjust because there is such little working room to adjust the bolt with the wrench. You can only turn the wrench 1/4 of a turn before you hit a spring, so you have to take it out, put it back in and get another 1/4 turn and repeat until you have grandchildren.

I wish they replaced that stupid tiny little hex wrench with a thumb screw.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 20, 2015,
I recently acquired a Jackson DNKY with a floyd and base plate has been flattened where it meets pivot posts (obviously, the previous owner didn't relieve string tension when adjusting action). Can the base plate be filed back to a sharp edge or should I just block it off as noted in this this thread?
Quote by gmon6string
I recently acquired a Jackson DNKY with a floyd and base plate has been flattened where it meets pivot posts (obviously, the previous owner didn't relieve string tension when adjusting action). Can the base plate be filed back to a sharp edge or should I just block it off as noted in this this thread?

You mean the knife edges are worn and it can't hold tune anymore if you use the whammy bar?

If that's what you are talking about, putting chapstick on the knife edges and pivot posts will solve your problem, at least parcially or temporarily. To do this, you have to take off the floyd off your guitar. Do it every time you change your strings.

If you don't need to use the whammy bar, then just block it and be happy.

I don't have the knife edges worn down on my Jackson LFR and I still put chapstick on it. May be just some kind of placebo effect, but it seems that it improved the overall performance of the tremolo. And it may improve its lifetime, but don't quote me on this, I'm not 100% sure.

I also only apply chapstick every 2 or 3 string changes. But since you have your knife edges worn down, it may be necessary to apply it every string change. Again, not 100% sure. But this also depends on how often you change your strings.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by gmon6string

I'd just block it off. Lubing the posts can work, but it's only a temporary solution.

Either that or buy a new bridge.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thank you both for the quick reply! Very helpful. The knife edges are worn, and yes it will go immediately out of tune if the whammy is used. I will just block it off.