So I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought about introducing band members on stage. My band has been playing at least once a week, more sometimes, and we decided it might be kinda fun to introduce each member sometime during the set and then that member play a little short riff or something. We think it's kinda fun and it doesn't seem to affect any crowds negatively.
Just curious what you guys think about it
Well, I guess you can answer that question yourself - if you were watching a random gig (I mean, a band that you hear for the first time), would you enjoy it if they introduced their members like that or would it feel unnecessary?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but some people may think it's kind of unnecessary and nobody cares.

If you can make it interesting, I think it's cool.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Wait til you have won over the crowd and they are digging everything you play. Then introduce the members in a fun way and it will work well. We usually do this following a series of very hot tunes at the end of our 2nd or 3rd set. Earn their respect first and then introduce. If you play one of those shows where the crowd is edgy and you never feel like you broke down the barriers, skip it and just play on. Introductions here will be wasted breath.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
it depends on the band, how long your average set is, etc.

if you think it'll work, try it. worst that can happen is you'll know not to do it next time.

a lot of groups do this when they have enough music to overfill a setlist. it's just trial and error, and as long as you don't overstretch or let the ship completely sink, you can take anything that went wrong as a learning experience

just don't do a ton of new tricks and ideas at once or you'll have trouble isolating what worked and didn't
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Oct 20, 2015,
I think Sting did this just about as well as it could be done on his "... All This Time" live album.

He does it on a high-energy song, during a jammy session, and it's not about stopping what they're doing to have every player mentioned (and there are a TON of them) have a little moment.

IIRC it's on "Every Breath You Take" from that album, and I'd encourage you to check it out.