I do not know what is a reasonable price for some budget studio headphones. Of course I am not asking for magic sound quality from cheap headphones. Just something fairly flat to give me a good idea of the mix. I am just starting out so nothing too ridiculous. Budget is > $100 USD. My local music shop has some Yamaha headphones for around $40 but I do not think that is where I need to go.

If you need to know, interface is a Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Often using an SM57 and a PG48. Been using Audacity as my DAW and it has been working fine.

When I asked about interfaces a while back, I was told that it really would not be worth getting anything between a guitar link and the Blackjack, so I just waited until I could get my hands on the latter. So if that is the case with these headphones, that is fine too.

I recently did some work on a pair of Vic Firth SIH1 (I think) and I thought the sound quality was pretty good, and the loudspeaker system at my Church building responded well to the track. So that is what I am mostly looking at. But I hated how they suction-cup to your ears, it was very uncomfortable. Sound-Isolation is not too big a deal for me. (Oof, checking reviews and often one of the drivers goes out.)

Thanks for any recommendation. C:
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 20, 2015,
Sony MDR-7506
Find a set in good condition used. Quincy Jones, Rob Hoffman and many other top producers and engineers trust these every day. $60-$100

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&zmap=MDR7506&zmac=7&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=1
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 20, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
AKG K240 MKII - pretty much the industry standard. Beyer DT770 if you can afford them.

I second this, although I would suggest you maybe look into getting a good pair of studio monitors for this kind of thing. Will do wonders on trying to mix, you will get a very honest representation of the sound with no horrible ear suction cups Oops nevermind didn't see your sub $100 dollar budget. If you could make it upt to $150-200 then my monitor idea is sound.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Last edited by troyofyort at Oct 21, 2015,
Unless you have some reason not to get open back cans, I'd go for a pair of AKG k240 mkII or k240 studio.
Then for closed back, ATH-M50 or M50x or MDR7506.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would also add that you should stay away from anything like Beats or other headphones listed as "DJ" headphones. These types of headphones are not designed for mixing and will give you a really false impression of the highs and especially the lows. You need a good "flat" set of headphones like the ones mentioned above.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Sony MDR-7506
Find a set in good condition used. Quincy Jones, Rob Hoffman and many other top producers and engineers trust these every day. $60-$100

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&zmap=MDR7506&zmac=7&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=1

I have these. They are really clear so you can hear every little thing in the mix which is pretty cool. But the clarity comes from the fact that these headphones have very little detail in the low end. Its like impossible to mix your lows on these, and sometimes you may think your mix is brighter and crisper than it actually is. I need to use a backup pair of headphones to reinforce these because they dont really give the whole picture unfortunately
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Spambot_2
Unless you have some reason not to get open back cans, I'd go for a pair of AKG k240 mkII or k240 studio.
Then for closed back, ATH-M50 or M50x or MDR7506.
What difference is there between these two besides price point? Also they come with a mini-stereo 3-pin plug that connects to the headphones, with 1/8 ends?
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 23, 2015,
For closed back I really like Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (which someone else suggested too, yay!)...for open back I personally use a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 (aaaaaaand paid 1400 USD for them), but on a budget I'd suggest Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro which run about 200 USD the last time I checked. If you can manage to bump your budget up just a touch those would be my suggestions.
Now I'm on Zoloft because you told me I was crazy,
and I won't jump 'cause now I know you'd never catch me.
Last edited by SeetherSalad at Oct 23, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
What difference is there between these two besides price point? Also they come with a mini-stereo 3-pin plug that connects to the headphones, with 1/8 ends?
Something I can't remember about the plugs on the headphones side.

The headphones are the same tho.
Or maybe the k240mkii have different ear pads, but if you want to save money the k240 studio are what I'd go for.
Not the k240mki tho, these have an input impedance so high it's difficult to drive them properly with most equipment.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Sony MDR-7506

The Sony MDR-V6 are essentially identical to the MDR 7506 and are just as renown for decades worlwide, in the studio, on stage, and at home. The MDR-V6 are frequently seen on sale for around $50. At this price they're an outstanding deal!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Amazon had these on Lightning Deal yesterday for $59!
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
hi will lane, can you just rate my new video ?
youtube.com/watch?v=Lxsh5HcxePs
Sorry for the bump.

I got the AKG K240 Studio over the BF Friday deals from Amazon for $59. Really digging them, especially for how much I paid. It does seem like the bass is a little lacking, and they are not as loud as I thought they might be. But they are very clear and feel fairly flat in frequency response to my ears aside from bass. Or maybe I am just used to cranking the bass.

I would do a vidya review but I do not know how I would make sound samples! XD
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 30, 2015,