I have two guitars - a classical nylon and a steel string acoustic...

I am trying to find a set of strings that sound something in-between the two types - sort of bright & metallic like steel, but also mellow & soft like nylon - kind of a 'middle-ground' string half-way between the two styles - any advice?

ps. I don't want to just mix up strings, (i.e. treble steel and bass nylon).. I actually was hoping to find on set that is specifically designed to sound half-way between the two styles

Thanks!
I don't know of any. You can definitely find more mellow steel strings - flatwounds - try those.
Quote by danonearth
I have two guitars - a classical nylon and a steel string acoustic...

I am trying to find a set of strings that sound something in-between the two types - sort of bright & metallic like steel, but also mellow & soft like nylon - kind of a 'middle-ground' string half-way between the two styles - any advice?

ps. I don't want to just mix up strings, (i.e. treble steel and bass nylon).. I actually was hoping to find on set that is specifically designed to sound half-way between the two styles

Thanks!

Hi, I strongly recommend D'Addario EJ46TT Hard Tension Dynacore strings. These have
Titanium trebles which are very bright and sound much like steel strings. A lot of pro
flamenco players use them for this same reason. Regards
Norman2
Or.... You might try the old standard "Silk and steel" strings that were very common with folk players years ago.
Quote by Norman2
Hi, I strongly recommend D'Addario EJ46TT Hard Tension Dynacore strings. These have
Titanium trebles which are very bright and sound much like steel strings. A lot of pro
flamenco players use them for this same reason. Regards
Norman2

Thanks, Norman

Does this mean that I can put them on my classical guitar? Are they safe for normal nylon-string guitars like Flamenco guitars?
Quote by danonearth

Thanks!

The strings I think come closest to what you want are Thomasik-Infield "John Pearce Folk".

These are quite innovative: the basses are standard silverplated copper wound on nylon multifilament but the trebles are nylon tape wound on flexible steel rope. They are similar tension to ordinary nylon strings but sound more like steel. Quite pricey but worth a try.
Quote by danonearth
Thanks, Norman

Does this mean that I can put them on my classical guitar? Are they safe for normal nylon-string guitars like Flamenco guitars?

Hi, Yes they are made for classical guitar. Total Tension for the set is 90.78 lbs which
any classical guitar can handle safely. The D'addario EJ46TT are the only strings which
I use on my Cordoba C7 and my Cordoba Flamenco Blanca F7. I have tried almost
every brand like Hannabach, Savarez, Oasis, Royal Classics, La Bella, Agustine, and
this is the perfect string for me. It is also very long lasting. Regards
Norman
Last edited by Norman2 at Oct 21, 2015,
Quote by Norman2
Hi, Yes they are made for classical guitar. Total Tension for the set is 90.78 lbs which
any classical guitar can handle safely. The D'addario EJ46TT are the only strings which
I use on my Cordoba C7 and my Cordoba Flamenco Blanca F7. I have tried almost
every brand like Hannabach, Savarez, Oasis, Royal Classics, La Bella, Agustine, and
this is the perfect string for me. It is also very long lasting. Regards
Norman

Great! I read some reviews and they look wonderful... Thanks! cheers, Dan
Quote by Garthman
The strings I think come closest to what you want are Thomasik-Infield "John Pearce Folk".

These are quite innovative: the basses are standard silverplated copper wound on nylon multifilament but the trebles are nylon tape wound on flexible steel rope. They are similar tension to ordinary nylon strings but sound more like steel. Quite pricey but worth a try.

Thanks, Garthman... I found them - yes, quite expensive (especially for us here in Australia but I will try and give them a go... Thanks again! cheers, Dan
Quote by danonearth
Thanks, Garthman... I found them - yes, quite expensive (especially for us here in Australia but I will try and give them a go... Thanks again! cheers, Dan

Danonearwth, I forgot to mention that you should never put steel strings on a
Classical Guitar. The spanish bracing that luthiers use to build them is not designed
to take on the heavy tension of steel strings. You are sure to unglue the bridge from
the top and you will probably cause damage that may be hard and expensive to
repair. Just ask any classical guitar player about this issue. There are a lot of articles
on this topic in the classic guitar forums and all manufacturers of Classical guitars
have the same recommendation because it will void the warranty. Take care and
learn as much as you can on the effects of higher than normal tensions on Classical
guitar. Regards
Norman
Quote by Norman2
Danonearwth, I forgot to mention that you should never put steel strings on a
Classical Guitar. The spanish bracing that luthiers use to build them is not designed
to take on the heavy tension of steel strings. You are sure to unglue the bridge from
the top and you will probably cause damage that may be hard and expensive to
repair. Just ask any classical guitar player about this issue. There are a lot of articles
on this topic in the classic guitar forums and all manufacturers of Classical guitars
have the same recommendation because it will void the warranty. Take care and
learn as much as you can on the effects of higher than normal tensions on Classical
guitar. Regards
Norman

Thanks, Norman Yes, that is why I was checking if it was ok to use the D'addario EJ46TT strings on my classical guitar, as I assumed it would have a similar build to a flamenco guitar... Thanks again! cheers, Dan
The silk & steel are are for steel string guitars. Do not put them on a classical. They sound great, a little mellow and less projection and have a shorter life span than unsilked strings. Frequent cleaning helps. I'm fond of the LaBella silk and silvered steel.
When strings lose their sound they're just dirty. I put a plastic bag under the strings/over the frets and scrub the strings with an Ajax type cleanser with a toothbrush and a little water, then clean water then blowdryer on cool setting. Strings sound brand new.
Last edited by skido13 at Nov 1, 2015,