I'm looking to get an amplifier for small to medium gigs, and rehearsal. I mainly play metalcore/ hardcore punk, but with a decent amount of clean passages. I also play progressive metal/djent type stuff on my own. I'm going for a tone similar to say Architects, Hands Like Houses, or Silverstein. I have a budget of around $1000 AUD. I mainly play a guitar equipped with Dimarzio Titans if that helps. We also have 3 guitarists ( I usually play lead), so I'd need something that cuts quite well. Whats out there?
Can you get a 5150 III for that much money down under?
If you can good, get that, if you can't then it's a used 6505 or 6505+ of ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think I'll keep a look out for 5150s. Are there any cabs in particular I should look at?
Quote by auzzietaco
I think I'll keep a look out for 5150s. Are there any cabs in particular I should look at?

Avoid peavey cabs. Shit sp6eakers. Edit: look at Orange, mesa, Marshall etc. Speakers are more important than the cab in 99 times out of 100.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Avoid peavey cabs. Shit sp6eakers. Edit: look at Orange, mesa, Marshall etc. Speakers are more important than the cab in 99 times out of 100.

Ideal would be an Orange with Celestion Vintage 30s, but I don't have that kind of money
I'm not really sure what your used prices are like down there (CATH may be better help), but I don't think that's a horrible deal; But I was able to get a 5150iii here for about the same price (without a cab), but again you're in a different market. I'm not really sure about the mods tho... there maybe someone here with better knowledge on that.

Those cabs arn't the greatest, but will get you by. You could eventually upgrade to a mesa or orange cab down the line. Personally I prefer Mesa, but my orange cab is pretty nice.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by auzzietaco
I have found this, but wan't to double check I'm not being ripped off. The seller is letting me pay half now, and half upon delivery. There are also modifications I'm not too sure about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Peavey-5150-Amplifier-Head-Marshall-Mode-four-cab-/272023502457?hash=item3f55dd3e79:g:tb4AAOSwpDdVcCH2

Here in the states that's an utterly ridiculous rip-off and no one would even consider it.

There it seems about par.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Here in the states that's an utterly ridiculous rip-off and no one would even consider it.

There it seems about par.

Yea, I wasen't sure about their market. I've seen the stock heads going for $800-1000 here

Exhibit "A"
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I live in NZ, similar pricing to Australia. For $1000 AUD any Marshall's would have to be used, and if you get a Marshall get a JCM800 (preferably a Kerry King.) I second looking for a 5150 or 6150. A cheap Dual Rec or Mini Rec might be good as well. Peavey Windsor's are also amazing.
I have a Laney Tf300 as my current amp. I was thinking it might be better just to upgrade that (new tubes, and a good speaker) and then get a pedalboard going. Would that be better than spending all my money on one amp?
That Randall I showed you is so much better than a TF300 that it isn't funny.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification