Looking for a little knowledge on the outputs on an audio interface (UR22 specifically). Just picked up an interface and grabbed a DAW and some VSTs to jam around with on my guitar. While waiting for the interface to arrive I figure I should sort of a speaker/ headphone situation.

I plan to eventually get a decent set of monitors; however, I'd like to be able to spend a couple hundred bucks on them and that's not possible in the very near future. So, looking into possible alternatives ( Cheap alternatives).

Is it possible to connect the audio out on the interface to an amp of any kind? (keyboard, bass, guitar, etc) and if so what type would be best for this type of use? If connected to an amp do you connect to the input, or would you need an amp with an auxiliary input?

I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to use a speaker cabinet without a power amp? Not too knowledgeable about these things, but would make sense.

Is a cheap set or single monitor the best route to go and just build from there? Even though there is a L and R output I'm also assuming they are both mono and one or the other could be used alone.

Like i said above I plan on grabbing a decent set of monitors within the next 6 months of so, really just looking for something to hear myself play. Not concerned with perfect sound quality, not using to mix or record seriously.

Quick headphone question also: I already own over ear headphones I wanted to use for headphone practice, but they are a 1/8 in jack. will a 1/4 to 1/8 converter and those headphones work fine or do i need headphones with a 1/4 cable.

TLR : Can you connect an amp to the audio output on an interface? Do you connect to amp input or need aux input?

Is a single cheap monitor a decent option?

Cheers
Quote by enalsisiht
I'd like to be able to spend a couple hundred bucks on them and that's not possible in the very near future.
That's still very little money for good monitors.
Quote by enalsisiht
Is it possible to connect the audio out on the interface to an amp of any kind? (keyboard, bass, guitar, etc) and if so what type would be best for this type of use? If connected to an amp do you connect to the input, or would you need an amp with an auxiliary input?
Respectively yes, keybord but even that would be far from ideal, and yes.

If you're considering using a guitar amp for that tho why would you need to pass through a computer?
Quote by enalsisiht
I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to use a speaker cabinet without a power amp?
You're assuming right.
Quote by enalsisiht
Is a cheap set or single monitor the best route to go and just build from there?
Not at all.
I'd get a pair of headphones.
If you're really on the cheap get some superlux HD681 or similar.
Quote by enalsisiht
Not concerned with perfect sound quality
Then whatever pair of very cheap speaker will do fine.
Quote by enalsisiht
Quick headphone question also: I already own over ear headphones I wanted to use for headphone practice, but they are a 1/8 in jack. will a 1/4 to 1/8 converter and those headphones work fine or do i need headphones with a 1/4 cable.
It will work.
Just remember to get a stereo converter.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by enalsisiht
Looking for a little knowledge on the outputs on an audio interface (UR22 specifically). Just picked up an interface and grabbed a DAW and some VSTs to jam around with on my guitar. While waiting for the interface to arrive I figure I should sort of a speaker/ headphone situation.

I plan to eventually get a decent set of monitors; however, I'd like to be able to spend a couple hundred bucks on them and that's not possible in the very near future. So, looking into possible alternatives ( Cheap alternatives).

I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to use a speaker cabinet without a power amp? Not too knowledgeable about these things, but would make sense.

Is a cheap set or single monitor the best route to go and just build from there? Even though there is a L and R output I'm also assuming they are both mono and one or the other could be used alone.

Like i said above I plan on grabbing a decent set of monitors within the next 6 months of so, really just looking for something to hear myself play. Not concerned with perfect sound quality, not using to mix or record seriously.

TLR : Can you connect an amp to the audio output on an interface? Do you connect to amp input or need aux input?

Is a single cheap monitor a decent option?

Cheers

Yes, you can use the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter for headphones. Many decent quality closedback headphones include the adapter. For the time being, head phones will probably sound the best quality.
Cheap computer monitors wont sound very good at all (at least they dont whenever ive tried). They cant cover any of the essential low end frequencies that make the guitar sound good and full.
If you have an amplifier and a cab, you can plug your 1/4 out of your interface into the fx loop return on your amp to use it like a poweramp, and then to your cab. This will sound pretty good depending on what you have. The outs on my interface are xlr and ive needed to use an adapter to 1/4 from xlr and that resulted in buzzing which was really dissappointing. Not sure if you will have that problem. Idk how to fix it
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Thanks for the response. I know I'm not going to get the best sound out of any of these options, but that isn't what I need. Just looking for some volume that's better than laptop speakers;

edit: similar to above question, will a PA monitor or PA speaker work as well?
Last edited by enalsisiht at Oct 21, 2015,
Quote by enalsisiht

edit: similar to above question, will a PA monitor or PA speaker work as well?

Yes.

Also, if your guitar amp has an aux input then it should have a full range speaker and you should use it because it will automatically sum the stereo into mono (instead of you just getting the left channel--unless you use a mono cable) and because it won't color the tone coming from the interface at all like it would if you played it thru an instrument input or FX loop.
Quote by SpeedSterHR
Yes.

Also, if your guitar amp has an aux input then it should have a full range speaker and you should use it because it will automatically sum the stereo into mono (instead of you just getting the left channel--unless you use a mono cable) and because it won't color the tone coming from the interface at all like it would if you played it thru an instrument input or FX loop.

So the guitar amp does have aux input. It is 1/8 in jack so would a 1/4 to 1/8 work in this case as well? Also looking on speaker / back of amp it says 4 ohm; could the interface output have a higher impedance and cause damage to the speaker ?
Quote by SpeedSterHR
Yes.

That's how it should work.

That's unluckily how this doesn't work most of the time, and one shouldn't really count on it working as it should IMO.

I mean TS, definitely try, but it'll probably not work as good as it's been described.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
That's how it should work.

That's unluckily how this doesn't work most of the time, and one shouldn't really count on it working as it should IMO.

I mean TS, definitely try, but it'll probably not work as good as it's been described.

Thanks for the help guys, gonna just give it a try and see if I get a passable sound for the time being. I was more worried about blowing the speaker in the amp more than anything.
Have some Ath headphones on the way so I'll have a better sounding option when I don't mind the headphones.
Quote by enalsisiht
So the guitar amp does have aux input. It is 1/8 in jack so would a 1/4 to 1/8 work in this case as well? Also looking on speaker / back of amp it says 4 ohm; could the interface output have a higher impedance and cause damage to the speaker ?

Yes. Use a stereo cable and adapter; let the amp sum the channels.

You won't cause damage because you'll be going line-level from the interface to the amp aux and the amp will power the speaker appropriately.
having already made his mark at continental level. His performance in Russia’s UEFA European U 17 Championship semi final defeat by Germany prompted opposition coach Christian Wuck to proclaim him a “top quality international striker”.