What the he'll does this even mean? Is it this generation's "on the down low"? Suddenly everyone I know is saying it.

Also: Loki, is low key, the lowest key villian in Marvel's movies.
Am I doing it right?
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
I'm lowkey laughing at your ignorance of contemporary urban slang.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
? My parents used this when I was a toddler (20 odd years ago), how is it 'this generation'...
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
? My parents used this when I was a toddler (20 odd years ago), how is it 'this generation'...

I've never heard it until recently (last month or so), I've heard "off the record", "down low", "between you and me", etc. My roommates use "low key" every other sentence, and I've known them since I was 5, and they have only begun to say jt
An A0 is a pretty low key, at least on a Piano...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by OED
B. adj. Chiefly in form low-key.

2. fig. Not elaborate, showy, or intense; muted, restrained; modest.
1941 Frederick (Maryland) Post 15 Nov. 4/2 Welles likes strong histrionics and has no patience with the prevailing style of underplaying everything in movies. In fact, he believes that low-key acting is used mostly because it's the only way Hollywood knows of avoiding clashes in emotional continuity.
1951 Life 19 Mar. 132/1 There is a minor, low-key rivalry between 58 and 26 but it isn't an important one.
1965 Listener 2 Dec. 934/3 Pleasant, low-key entertainment.
1980 Time 16 June 49 Smokey is remarkably low key for a soul master.
2011 Independent 26 May 23/1 The night was low-key, and ultimately disappointing for paparazzi.

That's a nice reference guide up there^

Some examples of how people I know use it:
"This place, low key, sucks"
"Dark knight is, low key, overrated"
"This job is, low key, easy"
"This class is, low key, boring"
"This pasta is, low key, delicious"
Is this even that new? I feel like people have been saying this for a while now.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
They probably watched a movie or show or something. My bro and I watched one episode of Regular Show where they kept saying "Can you do me a solid?" and we started saying that to each other for a good month or two. It was really annoying
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored
They probably watched a movie or show or something. My bro and I watched one episode of Regular Show where they kept saying "Can you do me a solid?" and we started saying that to each other for a good month or two. It was really annoying

That episode is great haha
Quote by Cardbored

I love regular show
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Ablast

Hipsters in a nutshell.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by WCPhils
Is this even that new? I feel like people have been saying this for a while now.

Yeah, but it's been low key until recently.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola
Yeah, but it's been low key until recently.

Nicely done
Quote by Ablast

Unknow them immediately.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

i keep my weed smoking low key
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I don't mind if it's used sparingly, like when my boss was telling us about the process we are supposed to follow, she said "Low key, this step isn't necessary because the information is outdated"
Quote by Arby911
An A0 is a pretty low key, at least on a Piano...

>piano
>low

lol come back when your low note is 9 octaves below what your speakers can reproduce

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
lol come back when your low note is 9 octaves below what your speakers can reproduce

What would be the point of that?
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by Ablast
What the he'll does this even mean? Is it this generation's "on the down low"? Suddenly everyone I know is saying it.

Also: Loki, is low key, the lowest key villian in Marvel's movies.
Am I doing it right?

You're baiting me right?

Because I'm replying....low key is piss old, it's been recycled if it's being used more than "keep it on the D-L", but I don't hear it.

Quote by Ablast

That's ******ed. It's been repurposed for useless words to say while you gather the last half of your sentence.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 21, 2015,
Im not 'bating, you're 'bating
low key, seems to have been co-opted to indicate your mood relative to something

high key, not really a fan of it, wasn't a shortcoming in the english language to begin so why
Quote by Ablast

what the fuck is this
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Never even heard about this, low key
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Where you from? Because thats kind of important.
Quote by Ablast
Okay wow, i was pretty sure i knew what "low key" meant, but now i have no idea
Is it just a replacement for the word "umm"? So just a filler while you think of what to say next?
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm lowkey laughing at your ignorance of contemporary urban slang.

it's fairly universal (neidnarb 2015) but it's interesting how it's wildly more popular among young black people. i use it pretty often when i'm typing, less so when i'm speaking.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
what the fuck is this

Low key, delicious
Quote by Ablast
Im not 'bating, you're 'bating

You're both master baiters.

I always thought the low key was called a space bar
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at Oct 21, 2015,
Low key has been around forever. It's a descriptive phrase meaning chill, relaxed, not over the top.

Quote by Ablast

Your friends are idiots and using the phrase wrong.

Quote by Ablast
I don't mind if it's used sparingly, like when my boss was telling us about the process we are supposed to follow, she said "Low key, this step isn't necessary because the information is outdated"

Sounds like your boss is using it wrong as well.

You might describe a quieter bar where everyone is chill as being "low key", but just randomly inserting it into a sentence like that robs it of all meaning. This looks like another case of idiots not understanding a word or phrase and just using it as filler to try to sound cool.