I like to learn as much as possible about my gear so I'm completely covered during gigs or other mishaps. so today I ask this question

can the peavey 5150 run on one pair of power tubes? to my understanding it is a push pull amp. so like my old crate blue voodoo I should be able to pull either the inner set or outer set of power tubes. correct? I know that cutting the power down will only drop the overall loudness by +/- 3db and will also cause less headroom. and I have to cut my ohms in half

so I'm running an 8ohm load into an 8 ohm cab I have to cut the head to 4 ohms to make up for the difference.

what do you say? can this be done without blowing up my amp?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Yep, will work just fine.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
sweet!
what are the pros/cons of doing this. when I did it to my crate I liked the tone change. it was subtle but a nice change.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
sweet!
what are the pros/cons of doing this. when I did it to my crate I liked the tone change. it was subtle but a nice change.

Pros: ReTube costs

Cons: Less Volume/headroom

Other than that, no real difference.
Charles Darwin
You can also cut the volume 3 db by...ya know...turning the volume knob down.

In all seriousness, I think on a 5150, pulling the power tubes is a waste of time. They don't rely on a lot of power tube coloration (hardly any) to get their signature tone. Plus, it'll still be louder than hell with two power tubes if you turn it up past 2.5. The only thing you're really gaining is that it will make your ears bleed at 2.5 instead of 2.2.

Personally, I'd rather have that headroom and wattage to insure that my low-end stays clean, powerful, and tight. Then just use the EQ to account for lower volume playing. When I play at low volumes, I set my EQ much differently than I do for gig/recording volumes. Bass gets turned down, mids get turned up, and I set my treble a little higher than normal. An OD boosting it also greatly helps for low-volume tone.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Don't forget to switch the impedance down one notch if you do do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think the TS is just saying he wants to be prepared in a gig scenario; if he loses a tube he wants to be sure he can pull the other one and play off of two without harm
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

gun- give it a shot and see if you like it. It would just take a minute. I like my splawns on two power tubes, but I wasn't as crazy about that on my blue voodoo (modded).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Watterboy
I think the TS is just saying he wants to be prepared in a gig scenario; if he loses a tube he wants to be sure he can pull the other one and play off of two without harm

That's it !!!!!

That was the TS inquiry and the answer is "Yes, you can"... However, he has to try it himself before gig to avoid any tone surprises !
Quote by Watterboy

sorry for the delay.. yeah that's exactly what I'm aiming for. I tried it and it works. I might try it at practice on sunday to see if I like the tone at that volume. thanks for all the replies and help
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by diabolical
Are you guys sure he has to go down the 4ohms on the cab?

I am thinking that it might be the other way around - 16ohms...might be wrong but just wanted to verify so he won't blow anything.

Nobody said that.

If you use half the tubes in the amp, use half the ohms on the amp.

Or you can use double the head ohm setting on the cab - same same.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 22, 2015,