Page 1 of 2
The fender strat would be the most perfect electric guitar, but the volume knob is way to close to the bridge pickup. If you play near the bridge you will hit the volume knob and accidentally turn the volume down. I replaced the knobs with tele knobs and punched it flush to the pick guard and lock it to prevent the volume dropping, but it is still in the way. I wish fender would pull their head out of their ass and move the volume knob further away from the bridge pickup.

Oh yeah I have vintage 6 screw whammy bridge, vintage tuners, 2 string tees and medium gauge strings. With this set up I can pull up and push down without pitch and tuning instability.
Okay... and?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You could always cut your own custom pickguard, move the volume pot knob to where one of the tone pot knobs is and use a stacked pot for your tone adjustment in the other tone pot location.

You could also just stick a little felt washer under the cover of the knob which would make it turn less easily, thus reducing bumping complications.

If you're just complaining - well, send an email to Fender. It will be just about as helpful as posting a complaint on ultimate-guitar about a 50+ year old design.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by attilathehun
The fender strat would be the most perfect electric guitar, but the volume knob is way to close to the bridge pickup.

Not an issue for me.

Most of my Carvins have the master volume knob near there, as do a number of my other guitars. In fact, I've moved the master volume knob on a couple of my LPs to a spot near the bridge/bridge pickup (note: routing required).

Fact is, it's in a perfect place for pinky swells.

It's a technique thing.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Or - just a suggestion - you could control your picking hand and not hit it at all.

htis is one opton for sure. you can also not pick so closeto the bridge. i often strum between the middle and neck pickups with o issues. when i need to play near the bridge i just control my right hand again withno issues. being able to control volume on the fly is an advantage if you ask me.
It's not a design flaw, the volume knob positioning was designed for easy access, and in that respect it is a huge success, but you can't please everyone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by attilathehun
The fender strat would be the most perfect electric guitar, but the volume knob is way to close to the bridge pickup. If you play near the bridge you will hit the volume knob and accidentally turn the volume down. I replaced the knobs with tele knobs and punched it flush to the pick guard and lock it to prevent the volume dropping, but it is still in the way. I wish fender would pull their head out of their ass and move the volume knob further away from the bridge pickup.

Oh yeah I have vintage 6 screw whammy bridge, vintage tuners, 2 string tees and medium gauge strings. With this set up I can pull up and push down without pitch and tuning instability.

I had a similar issue with my strat. My solution was putting fibre washers underneath the pot.Now it doesnt turn without a bit of effort on my part.

In my opinion the strat shape\design is the best.I love everything about them.
It's put there deliberately to allow Guitarists to quickly adjust voluem on the fly without moving their hands too far. Violining and such would be much harder for example.
Try to remember guitarists with good technique do not flail their strumming hands wildly around during playing.
Moving on.....
Quote by dspellman

Fact is, it's in a perfect place for pinky swells.

Alphonse "Pinky" Swells is the best psychedelic polka-djent blues fusion guitarist I have ever seen.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I just put a rubber ring underneath the volume knob. problem solved. I dont see the major design flaw
Quote by Blompcube
It's not a design flaw, the volume knob positioning was designed for easy access, and in that respect it is a huge success, but you can't please everyone.

+1

I like it there.

Not saying that I have a problem with people who don't like it there, they're obviously entitled to their opinion, but don't go telling fender to move it either.

though i suspect they probably wouldn't.

you wouldn't catch a heritage guitar brand messing with tradition that works.

well one whose brand name doesn't start with a "G", anyway
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ThunderPunk
You could always cut your own custom pickguard, move the volume pot knob to where one of the tone pot knobs is and use a stacked pot for your tone adjustment in the other tone pot location.

You could also just stick a little felt washer under the cover of the knob which would make it turn less easily, thus reducing bumping complications.

If you're just complaining - well, send an email to Fender. It will be just about as helpful as posting a complaint on ultimate-guitar about a 50+ year old design.
I'm having a problem logging into the fender forums, and no I did not put this thread up just for bitching and whining.
^ I don't think it's bitching and whining at all. I just don't agree.

(Not using hyperbolic phrases like "Major design flaw in Fender Strat", or "Fender should pull its head out of its ass" might be an idea, though )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hopefully Fender will recall every Strat ever made for a fix.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Know what’s even worse than Leo Fender’s design flaws? Your picking hand technique.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Alphonse "Pinky" Swells is the best psychedelic polka-djent blues fusion guitarist I have ever seen.

Gotta love psychedelic polka-djent blues fusion music...
I need to figure out a fix for always knocking the position swich off the neck.
Hitting the volume control is the most common complaint I hear towards Strats, together with hitting the middle pickup with the pick. The funny thing? It's all from people with non-existent technique who wave their whole arm around.

Personally, it's possibly my favourite feature in the design. It's a pain to play a Les Paul or SG and have to adjust volume mid-song... (Let's hope I have 3 seconds between chord changes.... Nope! *stops playing*) With a Strat, I can basically adjust volume while strumming.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I think it is user error on behalf of the OP.

I have no problems with mine, nor my teles, lp's sg's, v, superstrats, semi, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The volume knob location is a feature not a bug, and I rather like it there. I use it all the time for emotive phrasing. I also like the separate tone control so I can roll off highs on the bridge PU to taste. A rather ingenious guitar design if you ask me. Certainly a Strat is not for everyone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah TS I think it's just you. I like where it is on the Strat. I'm in agreeance with you about it being the perfect design though, the only guitars I really gravitate towards these days are Strats or slikely contorted versions (such as my Musicman Silhouette and the Musicman Luke guitars)
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Or - just a suggestion - you could control your picking hand and not hit it at all.

Haha. Seriously, this. It's worked for literally millions of guitarists, for like 3 to 4 times longer than you've been alive, op (I'm guessing. Probably right). And as has been said already, it's deliberately placed there, for easy access, which many players use for volume swells. If you don't have any use for a volume knob, or just feel like flailing your arm like a rock star is more important than developing good pick hand technique, maybe get a different guitar. Or just lock the knob in place. Or take it off. Whatever. Any of these options will fix your problem much faster than complaining about a design FEATURE (not a flaw), that most players love, or just don't care about either way.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by imgooley
I need to figure out a fix for always knocking the position swich off the neck.

high tech stuff. i've used it to fix many a design flaw left by engineers with their heads up their asses.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Yeah TS I think it's just you.

I don't think it's just him. I hear a lot of complaints about the volume knob position, and also the middle pickup as HomerSGR said. Personally I don't agree (I don't have either problem), but I'm not going to tell other people they're wrong for having a problem, either- they're entitled to their opinion.

However I do agree that acting like it's a major design flaw (it's not; it's a feature, as cajundaddy said, which some players appreciate and which others hate), or that Fender has its head up its ass for not changing it, as the TS contended, isn't really fair either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is there any way of inverse interlocking the volume knob with the amp volume, so if you accidentally knock it the amp changes volume to compensate?
I'm not a fan of the volume placement on strats, very similar placement on my PRS. But I can deal with that because I like the feel of it. I'm not a big fan of strats though, never have been. I have never owned one strat guitar in 20+ years and I get along just fine

if it is that big of a deal, tape it up, make a custom pick-guard or get another style guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by jpnyc
Know what’s even worse than Leo Fender’s design flaws? Your picking hand technique.

+1
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

There really is no reason to complain about a Fender Stratocaster, aside from perhaps not liking how they look. I'm sure there are some strange folks out there who think Strats are ugly. But, even if a person doesn't like the stock layout - they are one of the easiest guitars to modify in existence. You can literally change anything and everything on a Stratocaster with relative ease (aside from the color - which requires a bit more effort and skill).
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't think it's just him. I hear a lot of complaints about the volume knob position, and also the middle pickup as HomerSGR said. Personally I don't agree (I don't have either problem), but I'm not going to tell other people they're wrong for having a problem, either- they're entitled to their opinion.

However I do agree that acting like it's a major design flaw (it's not; it's a feature, as cajundaddy said, which some players appreciate and which others hate), or that Fender has its head up its ass for not changing it, as the TS contended, isn't really fair either.

I didn't realize that it was such a big deal for people

I mean fair enough, I guess I've just always played Strats and naturally my playing has been affected by that. I can see if you are not used to it where it could annoying. The middle pickup thing I can see a bit more, but I keep mine adjusted far enough below the strings that I've never had an issue.

I guess I'm just too adjusted to Strats and don't have much perspective. That's me then not everyone else.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'm having this problem too that's why i'm getting a custom pickguard with just a bridge humbucker and the volume out of the way.I'm also having a tough time adjusting to the body after playing a Dean ML for a long time, seems like i have to put my arm around the guitar instead of resting it on top.With the Dean there's nothing in the way hitting my forearm, i can get my arm in a more comfortable position and it seems i can play it better and faster.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I didn't realize that it was such a big deal for people

I mean fair enough, I guess I've just always played Strats and naturally my playing has been affected by that. I can see if you are not used to it where it could annoying. The middle pickup thing I can see a bit more, but I keep mine adjusted far enough below the strings that I've never had an issue.

I guess I'm just too adjusted to Strats and don't have much perspective. That's me then not everyone else.

yeah. i started on strats/superstrats as well so they seem pretty normal to me, too. but i guess as you said, if you're not used to them, they could seem weird.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The vintage strat style is what it is and it is basically a bad habit you can work on by watching your movements of your picking hand especially the little finger.

You have to sort of lift your picking hand in a certain way and get used to it.

It was part of the journey for me and my vintage style strat now 20 years in learning how to get the desired sounds out of it. I do play with the volume a lot and it is the perfect place once you are used to it.

The middle pickup?

If you pick to deep and not with the edge of the pick you got a problem. I rest my hand on the bridge so I am behind the middle and I do after using a metronome only play on the edge of the pick.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Oct 23, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'm not a fan of the volume placement on strats, very similar placement on my PRS. But I can deal with that because I like the feel of it. I'm not a big fan of strats though, never have been. I have never owned one strat guitar in 20+ years and I get along just fine

if it is that big of a deal, tape it up, make a custom pick-guard or get another style guitar

"never owned a strat" and "just fine" in the same sentence sorry that's just crazy talk
Quote by gregs1020

high tech stuff. i've used it to fix many a design flaw left by engineers with their heads up their asses.

I sweat like a hooker in church when I'm on stage. I should just weld it in place.
Quote by imgooley
I sweat like a hooker in church when I'm on stage. I should just weld it in place.

or spin the switch in the pg.

be bold.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Breaking news, people notice the volume knob is too close to the bridge of their Fender Strats. Riots break out worldwide. WHY FENDER, WHY???!!!
Page 1 of 2