I have been talking about getting clarity in things like extended voicings and people have suggested, as well as in completely unrelated posts, putting a TS in front of it to hit the amp harder but it would give more clarity? Why would you want to hit the amp harder if you wanted more clarity? They might say "oh then you can turn down the gain on your amp" but really does it matter? The gain is being put on the signal one way or another, wouldn't it be better to let the amp do its thing as opposed to hitting the input with more than it could handle causing it to OD and sound like shit?

Also I use a Savage 120 and ENGL's are known to be super tight and people were saying using a TS would tighten things up and take out some bass/boost some mids, but why wouldn't I just use my amp EQ for that and not spend money on a pedal that can cause hum?
Engls are tight amps indeed and they have more than enough gain to warrant a boost from a TS. However, I own a Powerball and regardless of these characteristics, Ive found even Engls benefit from the tubescreamer boost. First off, like you said the boost cuts some bass; Engls dont really boom from excessive bass, but the low end can still be a little muddy or smeary once you start bumping up the gain. Ive found that the TS gets rid of that smear and lets you run the gain lower at the amp (you can almost get an extra channel out of the deal doing this; a sort of hard rock channel and then a really tight metalcore channel). The other way that the TS grants you some clarity is by giving you that upper mid/presence boost. You can use your tone knobs on your amp, but you arent always boosting that cutting upper mid frequency by turning the treble or presence knob.

Ive found that with 7 strings or downtuned guitars, the benefit of the TS is even greater than your plain jane tuning. But Ive never been able to replicate the TS sound by using the amp controls alone, even with an Engl
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. I guess I can try using one. My other question is this: if I use my EGO Compressor pedal before the amp on a gain setting would I get the same effect? I'm planning on using that before a noise gate to keep sustain, but should I still get the Tubescreamer anyway?

Also I do use 7's :P
I would just go to your local GC, pick up a tubescreamer and give that a shot. Find how much gain you usually use on your amp, and then turn the gain down about 2notches. Set your TS gain to 0 and level to just over 5/10 (a lot of people do 10 out of 10 but I really find it overkill idk). Play with it. If you dont think its adding anything good to your sound then return it. I dont think a compressor is the answer personally. Compressor can be okay for cleans imo but i dont usually use it for distortion (sometimes in post just to bring the palm mutes more level).
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

All the compressor can do is alter the boost - so no. An EQ can do the job but not a compressor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what watterboy said. i find it still benefits from a tubescreamer or boss sd1-style boost too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
About the only amps I've played which I felt couldn't benefit from a Tubescreamer were the Diezel Lil Fokker and one other Diezel, I can't remember which though as it was a GC Hollywood and I played every amp they had in the Platinum room.

Engls are pretty tight but for lead playing Tubescreamers are pretty much mandatory for most modern metal sounds.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I use a bad monkey in front of my 6505 combo with gain on zero and volume on full. I honestly don't hear that much difference, especially with the gain high but also with lower settings. I mean, I hear a difference when I switch it on but it's a small change and I think if I turned the amp on blindly without knowing if the boost is there I'd probably not be able to tell the difference.

Maybe my bad ears I dunno.
^^I think it's your ears. I can't stand to play unboosted unless the amp is CRANKED. Boosted, it sounds good at any volume. Very big difference in terms of clarity, punch, and definition. At least to my ears...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Well tbh I only play my 6505 combo at band practise so it's normally on 5 which is extremely loud.
^^That explains it then, lol. Running it that loud takes the "muffle" away and it tightens up. I still like it better with an OD up front though...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yeah I think that volume makes all the difference. Even my Rectoverb tightens up considerably at band volumes.
I considered an EQ but I wouldn't know exactly what to do with it. I looked up the TS and it's actually got like 100 effects and changes it does in that little box and so I might as well get that to see if I like the unique sound it gives. An EQ can't completely replicate it. Also would the Mini be just as good? I could barely tell the diff in a comparison video and if we're using it on high gain the differences are probably impossible to tell
Three quarters of all overdrive pedals are using either the TS808/9 circuit or a modification of it. The mini is the same circuit but built using SMD and no battery so it's small. SMD doesn't sound different, they're the same thing in a different box.
But there are SO many tubescreamers out there that are made by others and most are cheaper. I quite like my Green Rhino.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Three quarters of all overdrive pedals are using either the TS808/9 circuit or a modification of it. The mini is the same circuit but built using SMD and no battery so it's small. SMD doesn't sound different, they're the same thing in a different box.
But there are SO many tubescreamers out there that are made by others and most are cheaper. I quite like my Green Rhino.

Oh okay, thank you, that's good to know. I don't need a battery, I just want it to be small so my pedalboard has enough room. And the TS mini really is pretty cheap compared to a lot of the other pedals. Like $79 isn't too bad, my ego comp was $200 and my ISP G string was like $230
The Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive has a 3 band active EQ. If you are after clarity, you can always boost the highs, which is one thing you can't do on most TS-type pedals.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Knight Elijah
Oh okay, thank you, that's good to know. I don't need a battery, I just want it to be small so my pedalboard has enough room. And the TS mini really is pretty cheap compared to a lot of the other pedals. Like $79 isn't too bad, my ego comp was $200 and my ISP G string was like $230

If size is a big deal, fair enough, but we are talking you can get a TS circuit for like, 20-30 dollars, and it they work just as well. the Joyo version (Tube Overdrive or Vintage Overdrive, something like that) is silly cheap, and a used TS7 (Ibanez ToneLok series of pedals, same circuit as a TS9 with a "Hot" switch which gives you a bit more distortion) will probably run around 30-40.

But as you said, $79 for a pedal isn't too bad.
The "Hot" switch on a TS 7 is a volume boost and slight distortion boost. The TS7 is one of my favorite Ibanez pedals after the TS10. It's better than my original TS9. (I never had an 808) You are right about the TS7 being about $50 on EBay. I have purchased three of them in the past few years. I think they are going be the one people will be looking for in the near future after all the TS10's are gone. The TS 10 could be had on EBay for about $50 just a few years ago and are now somewhere between $125-150. The TS9 and 808 are already off the charts price wise.
Get a Bad Monkey. It's a very good TS9 clone under $50.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 23, 2015,
one of the biggest reasons to get a TS that really hasn't mentioned is tht it provides some extra versatilty. i use a Peavey Ultra as my main amp which has tons of gain on tap so i could get away without the boost in theory. as others have mentioned it tightens things up and that amp doesn't have to work as hard which does help with clarity. keep in mind that to much gain kills note clarity no matter how good the amp. my amp has 3 channels (shared tone controls on the 2 gain channels) so i can set a clean channel, rhythm and lead channel OR i can set clean and use the 2 dirty channels for rhythm tones and then kick on the TS for my lead tones. now i have what amounts to 6 channels for a wider vaiety of tones with minimal effort.
Get a TS copy.

They're cheap and do the same thing (joyo?bad monkey?)

Or try an artec 8 band eq. Gives you the option of controlling the frequencies better, but isn't at all in the same category as a TS.