So on Sevenstring.com Misha and others had been discussing how he uses/used 3 noise gates:

Compressor>Noise Gate>Tubescreamer>Noise Gate + the amps built in noise gate in the loop.

Now i understand the first and last, I actually use the ISP G string to get the first gate and the one in the loop at the end so all hum is gone. I don't have a Tubescreamer, but if I were to get one, why would I get another gate? Why does he have the middle one if there's another one at the end? The G string tracks directly from the guitar and is used for both out and in the loop, so it has the advantage of having one knob and you don't have to match multiple gate thresholds.

But srs why the middle one of he has one in front and one at the end already
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 21, 2015,
it lets you cut noise in different places.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it lets you cut noise in different places.

I was assuming that but I was wondering why specifically it makes a difference. The ISP would be open by the time the NS-2 opens. Can someone tell me exactly what the effect is?

The only thing I can think of is that instead of reading the signal as rising rising rising until the threshold is met, once the first gate opens it goes straight full into the Tubescreamer and then hits the next gate, or in other words the second gate just gets slammed. But still I don't see how this would make a difference, the gate is technically either on or off.

I see now that running the comp before the ISP isn't good enough, the ISP is too transparent and doesn't shut fast enough cause unlike the NS2 it has no decay rate knob
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 23, 2015,
He is probably running the od hard and wants it to stay choppy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The trick with the noise gates (in terms of Periphery) is the combination with the compressors (an actual compressor, and the mild signal compression happening in the overdrive pedal). Compressors are NOISY pedals, because they bring up the noise floor a lot closer to the volume of your signal.

Misha ran a compressor at the start of his chain, followed immediately by the first noise gate. That way, a highly compressed but very QUIET signal hits the overdrive pedal, which also adds noise to the signal, hence the second noise gate after od. The compressor is set very aggressively so that chords can be sustained for a long time, and fights against the two noise gates that are cutting the noise from the aggressive compressor setting and the od.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Ahhh okay that makes sense, it's so the signal going into the overdrive is quiet, but would that really matter because when you play anything all the gates open and the signal going into the OD is no longer quiet.... Maybe it was a problem because the compressor and the OD pedal together would sometimes be so loud it left the gate open when he didn't want it to be? So then he had one in front just after the compressor so that it can track the guitars cleaner signal before the OD gets to it so it can shut off the feedback chain and not self reciprocate? Haha it's ending up to be much more complex than I thought.

Thanks! I guess my last question is, once he plays wouldn't it be fairly noisy and have a weird tone because all the noise gates are open at once and then all the hum can get through...? Or would the guitar tone still be so loud compared to it that the noise isn't really heard?
Quote by Knight Elijah
I was assuming that but I was wondering why specifically it makes a difference. The ISP would be open by the time the NS-2 opens. Can someone tell me exactly what the effect is?

The only thing I can think of is that instead of reading the signal as rising rising rising until the threshold is met, once the first gate opens it goes straight full into the Tubescreamer and then hits the next gate, or in other words the second gate just gets slammed. But still I don't see how this would make a difference, the gate is technically either on or off.

I see now that running the comp before the ISP isn't good enough, the ISP is too transparent and doesn't shut fast enough cause unlike the NS2 it has no decay rate knob

it lets you set them for the exact amount of gating you want in the exact place the noise is generated. it just gives you more control.

i assume. i don't really have much to do with djent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?