I wanna get a 5 watt tube amp, a DSL 5c Marshall how loud is this
Do u guys know a 5 watt tube amp that's not loud lol
Not loud enough to keep with most drummers and still produce cleans.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They can get loud, and they can be quiet, it depends on where you set that trusty volume knob.

I personally wouldn't buy a 5 watter unless I specifically wanted a little simple blues amp (I'm quite enamored with the Class 5). They don't stay clean long enough on the dial, I've yet to play one any good for higher gain applications, and they're normally as bare bones as it gets. I don't need THAT many features, but having some options is nice.

Short of blues or classic rock sounds, I don't think I'd want one for anything else, and even then the low wattage isn't necessarily the biggest part of why they sound good for those types of things.

Even at 20 watts you have a ton more options at a size that isn't much bigger than your average 5 watter. I just don't see much point in them beyond honestly preferring the way they sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee

+3.1415 that is a good read.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tazz3

not that loud as in it won't piss off neighbors in a paper thin walled apartment or not that loud as in it won't be heard over a drummer?

what does "not that loud" mean to you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Tazz3

It is loud enough for bedroom player... not enough for a gig in a relatively wide space.

However, I believe that DSL5 specifically lacks FX Loop which is an important feature, at least for me !
Last edited by mockbel at Oct 22, 2015,
I have the dsl 5 watt amp. I only use it at home - and I have to press the button at the back to take it down to 1 watt as 5 watts is too loud to get good crunch overdrive at low volumes
Quote by gregs1020
not that loud as in it won't piss off neighbors in a paper thin walled apartment or not that loud as in it won't be heard over a drummer?

what does "not that loud" mean to you?

+1

it's easily loud enough to piss off neighbours if you share walls. heck it's easily loud enough to be too loud for your own ears in a small enclosed space like a normal-sized room in a house. you're talking well over 100dB with an efficient speaker. Probably 105dB+.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

it's easily loud enough to piss off neighbours if you share walls. heck it's easily loud enough to be too loud for your own ears in a small enclosed space like a normal-sized room in a house. you're talking well over 100dB with an efficient speaker. Probably 105dB+.

Yep, 106 and change with a v30.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Tazz3

It's mostly too loud for an apartment and not loud enough for gigging (without some sound reinforcement).

The issue is that the sound you want out of a tube amp generally isn't achievable without cranking it, and sometimes even at 1 watt, that's too loud.
Quote by dspellman
It's mostly too loud for an apartment and not loud enough for gigging (without some sound reinforcement).

The issue is that the sound you want out of a tube amp generally isn't achievable without cranking it, and sometimes even at 1 watt, that's too loud.

Unless you want power tube distortion that's simply untrue and you know it.
Charles Darwin
My five-watt amp tops out a little over 120db. I could probably push it to 125db with a Muff, but why bother?
Quote by jpnyc
My five-watt amp tops out a little over 120db. I could probably push it to 125db with a Muff, but why bother?

Ummmm....through what speakers? Because those numbers are stretching the bounds of credibility.

Edit: Let's do the math. The highest sensitivity guitar speaker that I'm aware of is rated for 103dB/1w/1m.

Tube amps can push a good bit more than their clean rating, so let's allow your 5w amp an 8w maximum.

You get a 3dB bump every time you double the speakers, so let's assume you're running a full stack.

At 1w you would see 112dB

2w, 115dB.
4w, 118dB
8w, 121dB.

So yes, if you're running a full stack of Eminence Wizards and pushing your amp to it's absolute extreme limits, you can in theory get 121dB. Putting a muff in front of it is immaterial.

Is that how you arrived at your numbers? Is that your kit?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by jpnyc

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I use my 5watter to gig all the time with no problem. The difference here is we always have a sound system and I run IEM. Hell I've gone direct with no monitor but in my head. Makes things easier and quieter, but no stage volume is definitely a new sensation.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Arby911
Ummmm....through what speakers? Because those numbers are stretching the bounds of credibility…that how you arrived at your numbers? Is that your kit?

It’s an Ampeg GVT-5 with the stock Celestion tube ten. I got the numbers by cranking it up and putting a decibel meter in front of it.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s an Ampeg GVT-5 with the stock Celestion tube ten. I got the numbers by cranking it up and putting a decibel meter in front of it.

Either your meter is out of cal or you measured it too close. If you measured it at ~18", subtract 3dB, at ~9" subtract 6dB, ~4.5" subtract 9dB.

Standard measurement distance is 1m.
Charles Darwin
Speaker choice matters a lot.

I have measured 5w tube amps @ 6w RMS And 10w fully clipped peak power. With a JBL 12" rated at 103db 1w/1m that would be 113db wide open full peak power at 1w/1m. Pretty loud but not quite run-with-a drummer-loud.

A 5w Champ with stock 6" speaker that is rated at 94db 1w/1m will give you 104db @1w/1m. Great tone, not enough to gig without a mic.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Speaker choice matters a lot.

I have measured 5w tube amps @ 6w RMS And 10w fully clipped peak power. With a JBL 12" rated at 103db 1w/1m that would be 113db wide open full peak power at 1w/1m. Pretty loud but not quite run-with-a drummer-loud.

A 5w Champ with stock 6" speaker that is rated at 94db 1w/1m will give you 104db @1w/1m. Great tone, not enough to gig without a mic.

6v6's or EL84's in 5w amps pushing 10w would be cooking hard and I suspect not long for this world.

An EL34 version, like the Marshall Slash 5w could do it easy enough of course if the rest of the unit would support it.

I completely agree on the speakers, they are perhaps the single biggest contributor to how "loud" a given amp is perceived as.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
6v6's or EL84's in 5w amps pushing 10w would be cooking hard and I suspect not long for this world.

It's pretty common actually to measure peak (dirty) power at 2x RMS rated (clean) power. A 6V6 is capable of pushing 14w at clipping when driven to the extreme and this will surely shorten its life. The Champ in question was a particularly sweet sounding one so we put it on a scope and took some measurements.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
It's pretty common actually to measure peak power at 2x RMS rated (clean) power. A 6V6 is capable of pushing 14w at clipping when driven to the extreme and this will surely shorten its life. The Champ in question was a particularly sweet sounding one so we put it on a scope and took some measurements.

I'm not questioning what you saw, but it's hard for me to conceive of a 6v6 pushing 14w, especially as that's the design spec for a pair of them in push-pull.

The given conversion for PP-RMS is .707, which shows about 8.5w PP clean out of an amp that measures 6w rms clean. I could see 10w dirty for (very) short periods, but I just can't quite get my head to 14...the power supply would have to be WAY out of spec.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd run the numbers against the Champ's schematic to see what the voltages had to be. If...

I love to talk to people who have actually taken measurements!!
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 22, 2015,
My Epi Vj isn't loud when I have the volume at 8 o'clock. I use clean plus pedals, and it is about as loud as I have the TV- - not very!

If I ran the Epi flat tack it would be loud enough for the neighbours to hear, and I live in a well-detached house. It would be waaay too loud in a thin-walled apartment, at least if it was me listening to it though the walls. Even with a 12dB L-pad attenuator (attenuation to less than 0.5w), I find it uncomfortably loud in my small man cave at full volume.

The problem, as noted, is clean headroom.
Quote by Arby911
Yep, 106 and change with a v30.

yeah i think i measured mine at around 106 IIRC with an eminence copperhead. though it wasn't exactly a scientific test (i basically had the dB meter in my hand, i didn't have it exactly 1m from the speaker) and I dunno how accurate my (fairly cheap) dB meter is. I don't think that was even full up, though I think that was my old faulty one where the volume taper was way off- it was way too distorted even with the volume at maybe a quarter of the way up, so maybe it more or less was the same as a non-faulty one cranked up.

haven't got round to taking any readings since
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I have a 2W tube amp which I run through my Marshall quad for practice.
I rarely crank at home as:
1) I have quite a small room for practice and I would get ear buzz.
2) The neighbours would complain even though it is a detatched house (I am in Australia though and insulation is not a thing that most house throw uppers (can't call them builders) want to pay for
I did try it at practice once and it would just keep up with the drummer, in a small room, if he's on the quiet side and it was a distorted/over driven song.
Hopefully that will give you some idea of the volumes and, I would assume the 5W would be slightly louder.
Quote by Arby911
Standard measurement distance is 1m.

Thanks, I was not aware of that. With the meter one meter from the amp I get 105.5 without a boost and 107.7 with a boost.
Last edited by jpnyc at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by jpnyc
Thanks, I was not aware of that. With the meter one meter from the amp I get 105.5 without a boost and 107.7 with a boost.

Sounds about right.
Charles Darwin
Quote by jpnyc
With the meter one meter from the amp

This is why you Americans shouldn't mess with the English language
I love my 5 watters. I currently have 4 and don't think I've had one of them above half way on the volume knob in home use. They are certainly too lound to be comfortable/enjoyable for an average home if you want to crank them up. This is a bit of a shame in some respects as I love a bit of amp distortion and I don't get there with my baby Fenders. The Bugera V5 is a bit more accommodating as it has a separate gain control.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
OT, but sims, what 5 watters do you have? If you like low wattage amps, they have a few kits here if you are adventurous. http://tubeamplifierparts.com/guitar-amplifier-diy-kits.html i did an 18W'er and a 5F1 with stellar results.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
OT? Not for me. I bought my first 5 Watt (Fender Champion 600) a couple of years ago and I think it has improved my playing dramatically. There ain't nowhere to hide when you just have a guitar, a simple tube amp and your fingers. I mainly play for my own enjoyment these days, (lounge/study etc.) and these are great plug in and play amps at any time of the day or night.

The four amps are:-

Bugera V5 Infinium - Revalved and Jensen speaker

Fender Champion 600 - Bog standard

Fender Champion 600 - Standby switch, Triode-Pentode switching, Tone stack switching, additional mains power filter, cap change, Jensen 8" speaker.

Marmac Classic 5 (Princeton clone)

It would be difficult to pick a favourite as they all have their strengths.

I like the flexibility of the Bugera and the tiny proportions of the Fenders. The modified 600 is a great late night lounge amp. The Marmac is really nice but I want to swap the rectifier as it has a nasty Chinese tube and I get a lot of switching and pot noise from my guitar and pedals. The socket is wired differently to the original rectifier tubes so I need to attack it with the soldering iron.

Both 600s really allow you to explore the wealth of tone available from your guitar and fingers but aren't very receptive to pedals.

One of my 600s lives on the side table in the lounge, is small and innocuous and is just there when I want to play. It's almost like having an acoustic but without the effort to play an acoustic.

The Marmac was bought on ebay, mainly for the box and chassis as it was cheaper than getting a kit. The rectifier tube aside it was better than I expected and hasn't been stripped.

The unmodified 600 was bought initially as a reference for the modified one. Now the modified one is finished I have a hankering to throw out the PCB of the standard and build a proper 50's clone. The soldering components directly to the chassis might be a step too far though (seems too close to Russian Roulette) and I may chicken out and use a turret board.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
The only thing you need a board for is the filter caps - and that's only to hold them in place. The rest is easy to P2P.
Your biggest barrier would be the rectifier. You won't have a 5V tap for its heater. You'd have to replace the PT or add an auxillary one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Great for bedroom practice but not for gigging. A 15watt blues junior would be fine in a blues/jazz band but 22watt should compete with the drummer, although this will break up pretty early. 40watts and you're covered with loud clean tones.
Fender Deluxe Ash Strat
Epiphone LP Custom Pro
Gretsch G5420T
Tokai Goldstar 1998
Fender GB Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson
Wampler, Red Witch, Mad Professor, TC Electronic