Hey guys and gals, been a long while since I've posted. Way back in college I think... Anyway, I'm on the verge of finally returning to the acoustic world after having gone electric only for several years. I used to play a Takamine back in the day that had very low action and played similar to my electrics, too bad I let it go for another electric.

After playing a few at the store I think I'm down to the Breedlove Pursuit Dreadnought Ebony, or the Breedlove Pursuit Dreadnought Mahogany. I've played the Ebony and it was very, very nice. I have heard clips of the Mahogany online as well and it sounds delicious, unfortunately I haven't been able to track one down at a local store to try out. Does anyone have experience with the two or can someone shed a little light on what I might gain/lose between these two models? Thanks in advance everyone.
2007 Deluxe Lone Star Strat
2004 Standard HSS Strat
1993 American Standard Strat

Peavey Classic 30 (The practice)
Mesa Lonestar Special (The gigger)
the ebony has a cutaway. do you need one? they both have laminate backs and sides, so probably not an enormous difference in tone.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
As near as I can determine, there is no such thing as, "Java Ebony". In fact, we even had a, (rather rambling) thread on the topic here at UG: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1530324 (OK, a lot of the rambling can be attributed/blamed directly on me).

In any event, "Macassar ebony" is a well thought of tone wood. As Patti says, a laminated instrument wouldn't retain the full tonality of the wood as if it were solid. But, it would retain a bit of the character.

Off the top of my head, koa is the only frequently used material which elicits a truly love / hate response in its defenders and detractors.

There might be as much sonic difference in the two guitars from the cutaway, as from the woods. I actually like the slightly brighter sound of the cutaway acoustic. But a traditionalist might not agree with me.
but since he hasn't played either of them, the main difference is the cutaway. breedlove solid tops sound pretty decent, although you can get an all solid recording king, blueridge or epi masterbilt for the same price, and possibly a guild... er, what's the new name for the GADs? westerley?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The (solid) mahogany-topped one should have a mellower sound than the spruce-topped one, the b&s, especially when laminated, won't contribute as much to any differences.

FWIW, I'm prejudiced against pinless bridges - they look like an accident waiting to happen to me. In that price range and style, I personally would be looking at Blueridge and Recording King.
Quote by patticake
but since he hasn't played either of them, the main difference is the cutaway. breedlove solid tops sound pretty decent, although you can get an all solid recording king, blueridge or epi masterbilt for the same price, and possibly a guild... er, what's the new name for the GADs? westerley?

In any case, Recording King (AFAIK from their website), offers a grand total of one (1) dreadnought with cutaway. M'sF doesn't stock it.

The TS' first post claims he has played the cutaway Breedlove, just not the mahogany topped version.

At this point, I'm always reluctant to "sell off" of the posters choice.

The sticking point here is, the ebony Breedlove has an adi top, the other model mahogany.

IMHO, I tend to think the top material would have more effect on the sound than cutaway or full body. So, I'm going to suggest Cobra at least try a mahogany top guitar versus a similar spruce guitar, to at least get a vague idea of what a hog top sounds like.

I hear so much blather about the Taylor GS Mini, and AFAIK, it comes in a mahogany top model. At least that guitar is likely more widely available in both tops, and would offer a reasonable comparison.

Then there's that Tim guy's "Hellcat" which is hog topped and commonly in stock.
oh, i missed that. i LOVE the sound of a good adi top over just about any wood, although mahogany is nice, too. i wish the OP had asked this last week, as we were at sam ash but ran out of time to try everything - they and the GC across the street had lots of breedloves.

love the hellcat, but it won't put out the fullness of a dread.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
oh, i missed that. i LOVE the sound of a good adi top over just about any wood, although mahogany is nice, too.
I'm under the impression that mahogany as a top wood, is more of a niche instrument. As in you buy a good spruce top acoustic first, and then a mahogany top later for variety, perhaps for different material. So, I'm going to hazard the opinion if our TS has heard the adi top, and liked it, why not be safe and buy that to start off with.

I read his post when I first got up and the coffee was still percolating. I didn't quite absorb it correctly on the first pass either..

Quote by patticake
love the hellcat, but it won't put out the fullness of a dread.

I wouldn't expect it to either. I'm just thinking you might be able to get a fix on the harmonic structure of mahogany playing it. My other suggestion, trying a GS Mini wouldn't give you anywhere near the overall output of a dread either. But, at least you might be able to compare two guitars with the exact same dimensions, and focus on just the sound of the different top woods. Ostensibly, the Breedlove should easily sound a lot fuller overall.
i notice a lot of people talk about mahogany tops and all mahogany guitars as niche, but i find them very versatile. i like all sorts of top woods, but there's a sweetness to adirondack, not to mention you can play it louder without breaking up and it has a sort of presence to it i don't hear in other top woods.
Quote by Skeet UK
Well I tried another store today to find the Mahogany and left with a Martin DRS2 so... what'dya know. Thanks everyone!
2007 Deluxe Lone Star Strat
2004 Standard HSS Strat
1993 American Standard Strat

Peavey Classic 30 (The practice)
Mesa Lonestar Special (The gigger)
Not trolling here just gonna let you know that I just bought a Pursuit and took it right back due to terribly unlevel frets and the bow being in the wrong place on the neck which, by the way, is the first time I have ever seen such a thing in 24 years of playing and 16 years of Luthier work. I then tried again and bought a Solo and low and behold it has saddle issues and fret issues so its going right back as well and when I return it, I will never even pick another one of these guitars up. Epiphone Masterbilt series guitars are real guitars that you can actually play and you can get a solid body guitar with even a cedar top, binding everywhere, and their two pickup system for $800.00 If you dont want Cedar you can get a solid spruce top for $650. The negatives of a guitar being built overseas has to be let go of because there are some awesome guitars coming from China and other areas. Just go play one and see for yourself. I am ordering mine tomorrow
Just wanted to let you know to read my Thread. I figured out the problem and it is going to be a huge issue for Breedlove,....IF, they man up and do whats right.
I have a breedlove pursuit concert size, cedar top and it's a fine guitar. It came set up perfectly with no fret buzz or flaws anywhere. I've had it a year and no problems. It took a little while to warm up to the sound of the cedar top instead of spruce but it's grown on me over time. Every time I look at the headstock I'm tempted to saw off that long point and even it out LOL, but other than that I really like this guitar. Good buy @ $499 IMO.