Good day,

i've fixed up an old cheap bass guitar.
All good except the neck (wich wass the last thing on my list offcourse)
The is bowed so i needed to relax the truss rod but i think ive rund out of thread.
cause it wont turn anymore.
This is probably due to it being a cheap bass.
But is there any way to fix it?

the bass is playable now but it has really high action to avoid string buzz.
Also what is a good string height to start with?

Thanks ahaed
Always be careful with truss rods, shouldn't really need much adjusting. You can snap them and then you're stuffed! Cheap basses (even some of the more expensive ones) rarely come out of the box with a decent set up, so it could be partly that.

Also, put the bass on something flat, table for example, and look down the neck to see if it's bowed. Could be a reason. If so you can usually sort that by putting it in a vice and bend it the other way and leave for 24 hrs. Research if thats the road you need to go down!

This is pretty handy also http://www2.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/
It is rare to see excessive back bow in a bass when it is fully tuned. That is the only condition where relaxing the truss rod would be required.

If your bass has forward bow; that is, if the string clearance is waaay more at the 7th fret than at either the 1st or 15th fret, then you need to tighten the truss rod. Tightening the truss rod removes forward bow and makes the neck straighter, not the other way around.

On the other hand, if you actually have too much back bow with the bass fully tuned then you do have a problem. The simplest thing to try first is to install a set of heavy gauge strings and see if the additional tension will pull the neck back into alignment. If need be, you can also tune the bass a couple of steps higher (F#, B, E, & A) and leave it that way for a couple of weeks to see if the neck will return to proper alignment when it is de-tuned.

Anything more than that is probably cause for bringing a luthier on board. Good luck.
Quote by Vincesax
Good day,

i've fixed up an old cheap bass guitar.
All good except the neck (wich wass the last thing on my list offcourse)
The is bowed so i needed to relax the truss rod but i think ive rund out of thread.
cause it wont turn anymore.
This is probably due to it being a cheap bass.
But is there any way to fix it?

the bass is playable now but it has really high action to avoid string buzz.
Also what is a good string height to start with?

Thanks ahaed

-what brand of bass?

-bowed which way? front or back?

-what is the neck relief measurement?

-under string tension "relaxing" the t-rod makes an upward bow worse.

-need more info
Last edited by ad_works at Nov 3, 2015,
The neck is front bowed, so the trussrod needs to be tightend
don't know the brand of the bass.
I know how to setup a guitar.
My question was if there can be something done if the trussrod is out of thread(because i cant turn it anymore)

Thanks in advance.