Am I right in thinking that both types of distortion are great, however pedal distortion allows you to tailor your sound to your own 'signature'.

Also some aficionados rate amp distortion over pedal, however if you look at various artist rigs they've all got some sort of an overdrive or distortion pedal in there.
When I got my first tube amp, I was in the direction of using amp gain channel only which sounds very good but one time I tried using one of the distorions of my GT8 over the amp clean channel and it was very good as well...

So I believe there is no absolute answer regarding which is better, it is a matter of the desired sound you want... for me, I use the amp distortion most of the time
Quote by Chargrill3d
Am I right in thinking that both types of distortion are great, however pedal distortion allows you to tailor your sound to your own 'signature'.

And the amp can't?
Also some aficionados rate amp distortion over pedal, however if you look at various artist rigs they've all got some sort of an overdrive or distortion pedal in there.

They're much more likely overdrive pedals. Most distortion pedals on the market are rubbish.

What is the point of this thread again?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
And the amp can't?

What is the point to your life?
Quote by Chargrill3d
What is the point to your life?

I refuse to answer that question.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
If you want the sound of a jcm800, you will only be satisfied with a jcm800. If you want afuzz factory, you will only be satisfied with a fuzz factory.

Figure out what sound you want first and then the rest of your path will already be written out for you.
You use both. Generally for higher-gain stuff you want the amp doing most the work and it is boosted by an overdrive. If you want overdrive tones, you set your amp to break up lightly and push it hard with an overdrive. Like it was said, most standalone "distortion" boxes aren't too great. Some are neat, but even then it is often good to have your amp on break up and have the distortion box boost the amp, although the distortion box is doing most the work.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I refuse to answer that question.

Interesting that Distortion pedals aren't particularly rated, what about stuff like the Suhr Riot everyone always goes on about that
I have never heard/tried a distortion pedal that sounds even close to as good as the natural overdrive from a 5150, Mesa, Engl, Marshall, or many other high-gain tube amps. Most distortion pedals sound tinny, fizzy, boxy, and harsh. There are some high-dollar ones that do an alright job, but there again, if you're going to spend more than $200 on a distortion pedal, you might as well spend a few hundred more and get a used amp head that will still beat the pedal.

There are cases in which a distortion pedal can be blended with a tube amp's overdrive for some interesting tones, however.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Chargrill3d

both amps and pedals have knobs. adjust those knobs to create your signature sound. if one set of knobs doesn't do it for you replace those knobs with something that will.

Quote by Chargrill3d

for me i've been through my stomp box phase and i prefer amp distortion. since i have a decent modeling amp it gives me a bunch of choices that i'm happy with and i no longer have to deal with pedals, wires, batteries, or power supplies etc... that being said though, the catalogs show a lot of boxes out there that are probably pretty cool. there's a choice for everybody and comes down to what you like to hear.
if you want to talk about signature tone, you can relate it to style. even if you consider the 6505+, for example, to be a "business casual, standard" amp, you can still add pedals to "accessorize" your tone and make it your own. not every pedal works with every amp, and you need to experiment. This is just like how not every pair of socks works with your outfit, but you can wear funky or interesting socks instead of a solid color.

I'm a firm believer that you don't need to just use your amp, and you can get by most shows if not all on a SOLID clean amp and a solid array of pedals. Now you might not want to do that, but I believe you can. My current goal is to get my pedal board to the point where I can plug it into any Fender Deluxe at a bar or club and be ready to go for 3 hours. it's basically there anyway.

That being said, I ultimately prefer my Splawn amp over anything I use. I can get buy and be happy using something else, but the Splawn just represents exactly how I want my music to sound. It sure is easier setting up teh 5water or going direct 13 shows a week, but the Splawn satisfies.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Big difference between a dirt pedal being used for dirt and a dirt pedal being used as a boost.

Amp is much bigger part of the sound. None 9f those artists are using a dirt pedal as their main dirt. Unless it's a fuzz or a very specific sounding dirt they're trying to get.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Katsock

I'm a firm believer that you don't need to just use your amp, and you can get by most shows if not all on a SOLID clean amp and a solid array of pedals. Now you might not want to do that, but I believe you can.

No distortion pedal on the market is going to make a Fender Deluxe sound like a 6505. It depends on how much you're willing to compromise the quality of your guitar's tone for the sake of practicality.
Quote by TheSennaj
Do whatever sounds good. I find that a mixture of both usually does it for me.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I dont think you are wrong because every artist is different. For most of the music I listen the majority use their amp to get their desired tone and will use pedals to add a layer or more drive to a certain part of the song.

I think it is important to have a good base tone that you are happy with and you can always build on it. Some people have said that most pedals are crap, could not disagree more. There are some great 'amp in a box' pedals. For me a great example is the Box of Rock by Zvex which is a JTM45 pedal I have . I have a JTM45 and run them back to back in the same room at the same time and it nails that tone. Paul C Timmy is another great pedal, better versed

I personally like to use Overdrive/Boost pedals instead of distortion and will stack them to get to different gain stages of my amp.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I prefer amp distortion, but usually I am not able to play loud enough to get the level I have want. So I usually use pedals
I used to read about a good amp always being better than a distortion pedal and i never really got it till i got myself a good amp.I have some nice pedals but there's no comparison.Nowadays i when i'm not using effects i plug straight into the amp.It's just better dynamics with pick attack and better tone.
^ lol, nice avatar

Quote by Chargrill3d
(a) Am I right in thinking that both types of distortion are great, (b) however pedal distortion allows you to tailor your sound to your own 'signature'.

(c) Also some aficionados rate amp distortion over pedal, however if you look at various artist rigs they've all got some sort of an overdrive or distortion pedal in there.

(a) yep

(b) nope, you can do that with either

(c) yep, though they might be using an od pedal as a boost to augment amp distortion. of course, they might also be using it as a standalone distortion pedal, or getting some distortion from both. it just depends on what you want, they tend to sound different and some players prefer amp distortion while others prefer pedal. some like both or like one for some tones and the other for different tones. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Personally I think it's a pretty good question and, judging by the different people replying, I'm not alone.

My playing is mainly in a cover band and although I'm not fanatical about getting that 'exact sound', I do use both methods to try and get closer to the original tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oops, sorry if I said something wrong there cobber.
I stand corrected if there is a way to get, for instance, a Black Keys/White stripes type tone out of my Marshall without using something like a big muff distortion/sustainer.
This is a forum, so a good place for you to educate me.
Quote by KailM
Most distortion pedals sound tinny, fizzy, boxy, and harsh.

And that is why they are great.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by SpiderM
Personally I think it's a pretty good question and, judging by the different people replying, I'm not alone.

My playing is mainly in a cover band and although I'm not fanatical about getting that 'exact sound', I do use both methods to try and get closer to the original tone.

I said that in that context because I think the OP's premise is flawed. Saying that pedals allow you to adjust your tone in a particular way is a moot point. And I don't think saying that the vast majority of distortion pedals just don't sound as good compared to a good tube amp is controversial at all.

If you're deliberately trying to make the amp sound different to a high gain tube amp with a distortion pedal, then that's fine. But then you aren't comparing apples to apples anymore.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 22, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I said that in that context because I think the OP's premise is flawed. Saying that pedals allow you to adjust your tone in a particular way is a moot point. And I don't think saying that the vast majority of distortion pedals just don't sound as good compared to a good tube amp is controversial at all.

If you're deliberately trying to make the amp sound different to a high gain tube amp with a distortion pedal, then that's fine. But then you aren't comparing apples to apples anymore.

Well, now you put it that way, I completely agree
Quote by SpiderM
Oops, sorry if I said something wrong there cobber.
I stand corrected if there is a way to get, for instance, a Black Keys/White stripes type tone out of my Marshall without using something like a big muff distortion/sustainer.This is a forum, so a good place for you to educate me.
This brings up a good point which I think we've all arrived at. Overdrives are often (not exclusively though) used to get "more" from the amp rather than be their own thing. However, dirt boxes like the Big Muff and the variants/clones have their own sound and really can only be the way to get that sound. I don't know of many amps that would do that sound, outside of modelers.

The whole idea of having dirt pedals (OD, distortion, fuzz, whatever) is really just a matter of "do what works".
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 23, 2015,
Yeah yeah, that's true, I don't know how Deicides guitarists get they're sound but the Digitech Death Metal gets that sound like instant Deicide and it's good too.