Hey everyone,

I am looking for a second guitar with which I can travel just to keep my chops in practice (I have a Les Paul, but I love this guitar too much and it just weights a lot for a travel guitar).
It should be a cheap used guitar costing around $100-200. In the local classifieds I found someone is selling a used Telecaster for $180.

The thing is, it is not an ordinary Tele. The owner description is as follows:

The body is masterbuilt and the top is ash;
The neck is from thomann.de - solid maple with rosewood fingerboard;
Excellent pickups from a MIM;
Electronics are from a MIA Telecaster;
Sounds great, worth more than its price, much better than typical Squiers;
Would stand on its own against a MIJ.

I am fairly not a very experienced player, started a couple of years ago. I would want to know whether this guitar is generally a good value and for how much I will be able to resell it afterwards.

Which questions would you suggest me to ask the seller about the guitar? From the owner's description the guitar seems like a bargain, but how can I prove that?

Also, Thomann is a German-based retailer of musical instruments. I used their services while I was in the UK and was very satisfied.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomann_(retailer)
I suspect that the neck is from this DIY kit: Harley Benton Electric Guitar Kit T-Style - Thomann UK
The neck in the kit is also maple with rosewood fingerboard. However, I am concerned that on this guitar not only the neck is from the kit, but the majority of other, if not all, parts are from this kit, which I think are not of very high quality.

Any help is very appreciated.

Cheers.
Attachments:
86578738_1_644x461_prodayu-super-telekaster-almaty.jpg
86578738_2_644x461_prodayu-super-telekaster-fotografii.jpg
Last edited by Hemingford at Oct 24, 2015,
"The body is masterbuilt" certainly does seem a bit suspect, being that there's no context whatsoever for that statement.

Probably not a bad price, though, nor a good one. I'd be tempted to say it's on the high side. The thing with Partscasters is they're practically worthless because any potential buyer doesn't really know what they're getting.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
A partscaster that plays and sounds great has value as a tool but no pedigree. Really sweet ones sell for $300-$400. Anything less than that is a good deal if you like the guitar. A real Fender has brand value and sells more quickly but a real player knows a player when he sees one. There is wisdom in traveling with a no-name.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I recently contacted the seller and he stated that:
- The guitar was assembled by the previous owner;
- The neck is not from the kit I suspect it is Harley Benton Electric Guitar Kit T-Style - Thomann UK
But how does he know it is not?
- The bridge is from some MIK guitar;
- He has no proof that the pickups are from a MIM, but he will have a look;
- The body was ordered by the previous owner from an unknown luthier.

What are you thoughts, guys? Does it seem like a lemon to you?
If you can get a decent couch, camping, roadtrip guitar for less than $200 and you like how it plays and sounds ~ done deal. Like cajundaddy sez " a rel player knows a player when he sees one." I have made a few kit type guitars and with time and patience you can come up with some nice pieces. I say do it !!
Quote by Hemingford

What are you thoughts, guys? Does it seem like a lemon to you?

The only way to tell is to play it and trust your hands and your ears. A partscaster has no pedigree so nobody cares where the parts came from if it plays well. If you play it and the guitar sucks, it's a lemon.

If you want a player on the cheap, go check it out. If you want pedigree, buy a real Fender.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY