I put together this animated 3D fretboard for the C Maj Pentatonic scale in all 5 positions.

http://guitarshortcuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/3D_Guitar_C_Maj_Pent_anim.gif

Each position pauses for 10 seconds. I'd love to get some feedback on if this format is helpful to you and if you'd like to see more scales and modes like this.

My main thing was to try to convey a familiar guitar playing perspective... Most scale and mode charts are flat and either vertical or horizontal fretboards. Why not have it from the perspective of you playing?

Anyway, cheers!
Last edited by mitch247 at Oct 22, 2015,
I know my C maj scale inside and out, and I have to say I found this format pretty confusing. I think that a tab is a lot simpler and easier to approach. But I guess some people could learn better from this perspective. It's an option for those who are looking for options I guess.

Also, just a suggestion to make it appear more professional: don't use the phrase "key of C major pentatonic", there is no such thing as a pentatonic key. It'd be more accurate to call it simply a C major pentatonic scale. Most people wouldn't even notice it I guess, but it bugs me at least.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I know my C maj scale inside and out, and I have to say I found this format pretty confusing. I think that a tab is a lot simpler and easier to approach. But I guess some people could learn better from this perspective. It's an option for those who are looking for options I guess.

Also, just a suggestion to make it appear more professional: don't use the phrase "key of C major pentatonic", there is no such thing as a pentatonic key. It'd be more accurate to call it simply a C major pentatonic scale. Most people wouldn't even notice it I guess, but it bugs me at least.

Thanks for the reply... Yeah that was my concern that it was too confusing but for me utilizing many different methods helps solidify my memory and understanding of it.

The first line "Key of C Maj" is for the key and the second line "Pentatonic" is the scale. So I should make it clearer (i.e. put "Scale" in front of Pentatonic)... The scale name could change (i.e. to "Ionian" or "Lydian") and "Key of C Maj" could stay the same. Thanks again for the comment.
Quote by mitch247
Thanks for the reply... Yeah that was my concern that it was too confusing but for me utilizing many different methods helps solidify my memory and understanding of it.

Yeah, it might work for some people better than it works for me.

Quote by mitch247
The first line "Key of C Maj" is for the key and the second line "Pentatonic" is the scale. So I should make it clearer (i.e. put "Scale" in front of Pentatonic)... The scale name could change (i.e. to "Ionian" or "Lydian") and "Key of C Maj" could stay the same. Thanks again for the comment.

Oh, that makes more sense. Just don't start mixing up keys and modes.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Cool idea. The orange color you use for the root notes could be brighter or better contrast the color of the fretboard.