So I'm a guitar player of relatively decent skill I'd say, and right now I have a basic set-up with my Epiphone Thunderhorse ran into a Blackstar ID Core 10 using a dinky Fender cable that came with a Squier that I've long since sold.

Been thinking about upgrading amps for a few reasons.

-The ID Core 10 is the smallest in it's family and doesn't allow for use with foot switches
-It has a AUX input but the speaker is too small to retain clarity along with the guitar and iPhone running at loud volumes
-The gain can be cracked to max but again if the volume is too loud it gets too harsh and you lose all clarity in the guitar.
-Long story short it's not articulate/loud enough.

I doubt it's the guitar or my playing but even though the ID Core 10 is a fantastic practice amp with tons of features, for some reason I've felt very limited with it lately and have been thinking about saving up for a new amp set-up.

The Orange Micro Dark was recently released I thought about picking up the head and a 1x12 Cab from Orange. I figured that's plenty loud for a bedroom guitarist. I hear it has tons of gain which is perfect for me since I consider my self a Rock/Metal player. From what I understand the tiny amp head has three basic switches and a FX loop, I assume that means you can use pedal board? Or just one pedal at a time? It doesn't have an AUX in I don't think which sucks when I want to cover music but the rig seems promising.

The amp head and cab are roughly $500 together versus the $99 I paid for my ID Core 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(Basically I'm looking for something loud, full of gain, yet articulate and clear at the same time.)
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Oct 22, 2015,
I would highly recommend the micro dark for the price. It's surprisingly loud yet is solid at bedroom levels, it has headphone output, and it has very, very good tone for the price. I have a mesa boogie iic+, and I love phenomenal tone, but I just really enjoy going to the micro dark for a really dark, heavy brit/Marshall tone. Also has surprisingly good cleans and is, of course, ridiculously simple to use. Only downside is that while it is very loud, it will have a tought time standing out through a mix with a drummer.
Quote by tfizzle20
I would highly recommend the micro dark for the price. It's surprisingly loud yet is solid at bedroom levels, it has headphone output, and it has very, very good tone for the price. I have a mesa boogie iic+, and I love phenomenal tone, but I just really enjoy going to the micro dark for a really dark, heavy brit/Marshall tone. Also has surprisingly good cleans and is, of course, ridiculously simple to use. Only downside is that while it is very loud, it will have a tought time standing out through a mix with a drummer.

Would you say I should get the amp head with the optional 1x8 cab, or is it worth saving for the 1x12 and buying that?
The 8" speaker is terrible, assuming that it is the same one for the original micro terror.

For $500 i would get a tiny terror combo and hit it with an OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
The 8" speaker is terrible, assuming that it is the same one for the original micro terror.

For $500 i would get a tiny terror combo and hit it with an OD.

Do you mean running a Distortion Pedal in the amp head? I'm sorry, you misunderstand I should have clarified.

The Micro Dark has an optional 1x8 cab that comes with it. Together that would be around $300

In the OP I suggested instead that I save up for a PPC112 which would make just the Micro Dark and the 1x12 cab around $500 together.

I'm still new to all this guitar tech, but my skills as a player are getting better which is why I'm asking if the Micro Dark and 1x12 would be fine for me. I've heard good things about both the amp head and the Celestion speakers.
OD = Overdrive

Typically when someone says "run an OD" into the amp, they mean to hook up an overdrive pedal (tube screamer, bad monkey or whatever one you fancy) in front of the amp, then on the pedal itself, set the volume all the way up, the gain off (or maybe on a little bit depending what you want), and set the tone (or EQ) to taste. In this kinda setup you're using the OD pedal to boost the amps gain (giving you a tighter, more distorted tone). By keeping the gain low on the pedal, you avoid coloring the tone too much with the pedal, unless that's what you want.

I think the dark T will work fine for what you want, but to be sure, if you can, go to a shop and try one out.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Oct 23, 2015,
I wouldn't bother buying the micro dark, it is more of a side step if anything at all. Yes you want to get a better cab, but the amp is still not anythig great at all

I agree get a Tiny Terror 1x12 combo and boost the front with an OD pedal like a Bad Monkey, or any other tube screamer variant you want.

A used Krank Jr series is deff worth a look, they run $300 used and are really nice amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 23, 2015,
Quote by red.guitar
OD = Overdrive

Typically when someone says "run an OD" into the amp, they mean to hook up an overdrive pedal (tube screamer, bad monkey or whatever one you fancy) in front of the amp, then on the pedal itself, set the volume all the way up, the gain off (or maybe on a little bit depending what you want), and set the tone (or EQ) to taste. In this kinda setup you're using the OD pedal to boost the amps gain (giving you a tighter, more distorted tone). By keeping the gain low on the pedal, you avoid coloring the tone too much with the pedal, unless that's what you want.

I think the dark T will work fine for what you want, but to be sure, if you can, go to a shop and try one out.

I see I've never used a pedal before, so I want that as feature when I eventually upgrade. "dark T" the Dark Terror head? Or is their a combo as well? I'll look into it.
It's not a feature, you're just placing it in your signal chain, in front of the amp... I think you should spend some more time researching, and reading about amps and pedals. I'm not trying to shit on you here or anything, but you're going to want to be a little more informed before you waste any money, or at least I would. There's only so much people on here can tell you.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
It's not a feature, you're just placing it in your signal chain, in front of the amp... I think you should spend some more time researching, and reading about amps and pedals. I'm not trying to shit on you here or anything, but you're going to want to be a little more informed before you waste any money, or at least I would. There's only so much people on here can tell you.

Lol I think of it that way cause my current amp has effects built in. Yea I'll read up some more before I decide on anything though looking at the combos and different heads from Orange I noticed that all the ones I'm looking at are the same in regards to them all only having a Volume, Shape, and Gain controls. The only difference is a few amps can switch from 15-7 watts. Like I said I've never messed around with pedals before but I have an idea how amps work. I just like Blackstar's ISF/Orange's Shape controls. Makes it really easy to dial in the EQ. When I'm in a Guitar store I'm always intimidated by amps that have Treble, Middle, and Bass controls cause I don't know how to dial in the sounds that I want.

Simpler the better. I'll due my due diligence though.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Oct 23, 2015,
Quote by anthonymarisc
Lol I think of it that way cause my current amp has effects built in. Yea I'll read up some more before I decide on anything though looking at the combos and different heads from Orange I noticed that all the ones I'm looking at are the same in regards to them all only having a Volume, Shape, and Gain controls. The only difference is a few amps can switch from 15-7 watts. Like I said I've never messed around with pedals before but I have an idea how amps work. I just like Blackstar's ISF/Orange's Shape controls. Makes it really easy to dial in the EQ. When I'm in a Guitar store I'm always intimidated by amps that have Treble, Middle, and Bass controls cause I don't know how to dial in the sounds that I want.

Simpler the better. I'll due my due diligence though.

Sounds like you're on your way to finding the right amp then! Just don't get too excited and pull the trigger on something you may end regret buying in the future.

Try not to get too overwhelmed by an amps EQ/other controls. Whenever I'm trying out a new amp that I've never played before, I always approach it the same way; I start by putting everything (with the exception of the pre-gain and master volume if the amp has it) on halfway, start playing, then slowly start making adjustment until you have everything sitting where you want it. It can take a while sometimes starting out, but as you get more experience working with tube amps, it'll come a lot easier. Just don't run out and buy a Mesa Mark V right off the hop (unless you want to spend the foreseeable portion of your life dialing in knobs)
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
So I messed around with an Orange 1x12 CR60C today at my local Guitar Center. Solid State, has some really good clean tones, but when I switched around to the Dirty channel I just could not for the life of me get a heavy enough tone with it. I messed around with the control but the most I could achieve as a relatively Sabbath War Pigs kinda tone. Definitely part of the music I play but still not heavy enough for me. I've been eyeing the Micro Dark, Dark Terror, and Tiny Terror. My friend thinks I should give Blackstar another chance though. I like Blackstar amps, but I've never truly messed with anything other than a Solid State combo.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I wouldn't bother buying the micro dark, it is more of a side step if anything at all. Yes you want to get a better cab, but the amp is still not anythig great at all

I'm curious as to why you feel that way... From multiple videos on YouTube that thing seems to have gain on tap for days. Perfect for Metal...
Quote by anthonymarisc
I'm curious as to why you feel that way... From multiple videos on YouTube that thing seems to have gain on tap for days. Perfect for Metal...

It is a cheap amp and they don't sound that great

Go play one in person and you'll see what I'm talking about
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Orange CR60C it is.
Quote by anthonymarisc
Orange CR60C it is.

Yes, it is also cheep crap, stay away from anything Orange makes that is SS. If you really want an orange you'd do yourself a real favor by at least getting a used Tiny Terror. You will need a boost to get to metal territory, but it sounds way better than what you are considering
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes, it is also cheep crap, stay away from anything Orange makes that is SS. If you really want an orange you'd do yourself a real favor by at least getting a used Tiny Terror. You will need a boost to get to metal territory, but it sounds way better than what you are considering

Lol if you can't tell I really want an Orange. Ok I'll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand Tiny Terror.

EDIT: Actually I might as well save for a Dark Terror or Dual Dark.
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Nov 6, 2015,
The Dual Terrors kick arse. Don't buy the Crush.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Dual Terrors kick arse. Don't buy the Crush.

I fucking love my dual terror.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by anthonymarisc
Lol if you can't tell I really want an Orange. Ok I'll keep my eyes peeled for a second hand Tiny Terror.

EDIT: Actually I might as well save for a Dark Terror or Dual Dark.

The new dual Dark is stupid priced for what you get.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Ehhh IDK man 3:19 that sounds pretty good to me, I mean the choice of cab is gonna make a difference for sure but man... I'm on a budget too nom saiyan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI0srUDFyF0
Quote by anthonymarisc
Ehhh IDK man 3:19 that sounds pretty good to me, I mean the choice of cab is gonna make a difference for sure but man... I'm on a budget too nom saiyan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI0srUDFyF0

Play a real amp and then we'll talk
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Play a real amp and then we'll talk

Lol okay, I am still a noob I'll be honest.

EDIT: Brb not a real guitarist till I play a Thunderverb 200 through a wall of 4x12s
Last edited by anthonymarisc at Nov 6, 2015,
Quote by anthonymarisc
Lol okay, I am still a noob I'll be honest.

EDIT: Brb not a real guitarist till I play a Thunderverb 200 through a wall of 4x12s

No, there are plenty of great amps that are pretty cheap. You just have to know what your looking at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate