So I have an ENGL and ever since I opened it up the first day it smelled weird. Sort of like when you box a food from a dinner and take it home. Or maybe like BO and farts. It smells like this regardless of if its on or off. My other tube amp does not make this smell, it just smells like static.

I know ENGLs are German did someone maybe eat a sausage when they were assembling my amp or maybe someone rubbed their armpits on it

Does anyone else have an ENGL and experience this?

Anyway I was wondering if it would be okay to spray like 2 squirts of cologne on it (in it would prob be a bad idea) but maybe like on the top where it's just the outside. Or is there anything I can do to make it smell as good as it sounds. Would cologne with the alcohol hurt the material (that scaly/textured material all the amps are made of) or something? I REALLY would die if I caused damage to it, it's like the most expensive thing I own
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 22, 2015,
It’s probably the tolex. Some brands of tolex smell nice, others stink, and some don’t smell at all. I used to have an amp that had the same burning marshmallow smell that fresh nitrocellulose finishes have—that one was great.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s probably the tolex. Some brands of tolex smell nice, others stink, and some don’t smell at all. I used to have an amp that had the same burning marshmallow smell that fresh nitrocellulose finishes have—that one was great.

So what can I do
Use air freshener and/or burn some incense until the stank fades.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
Use air freshener and/or burn some incense until the stank fades.

True dat maybe some pumpkin spice febreeze get that old quesadilla rank outta the tubes

+ no alcohol like cologne would

My safe case smells good I was hoping it would help make my amp smell better but it's a stubborn bastard
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 23, 2015,
Quote by Knight Elijah
My other tube amp does not make this smell, it just smells like static.

I know ENGLs are German did someone maybe eat a sausage when they were assembling my amp or maybe someone rubbed their armpits on it

It should wear off after a while of use if not, put some odoreaters insoles in the case and close it up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mouse piss.

It goes away. Eventually.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Sorry for not offering anything constructive but "Why does my amp smell so weird?" has to be my favourite thread title I've ever seen on UG.

And just keeping the windows open when you're not around or something? Maybe it would fade eventually.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
this thread is fantastic.
perhaps try those aroma bead things? they are supposed to suck up odor.
thanks for the laugh today I needed it
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Knight Elijah
So what can I do

The only solution is to burn it..... or send it my way
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
this explains the angry faces so many metal players have.

now it all makes sense, thanks!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.