Thought this would be an interesting topic. we hear about problems more often than good points a lot of the time. I would like to discuss what companies are putting exceptional instruments out, and have been for a while. Price point can be a consideration, or not but I am just going to post about midrange guitars.

I would start by adding EBMM, ibanez prestiges, the new esp e-II's, Parker, and PRS S2..

So what do you think?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've never seen an upset player of Carvin and Suhr. But as you've mentioned, price is a part of that here.
^ Carvin is a good one too.

Suhr, Mayones, Anderson, Caprison, Black Machine, etc. are amazing. unfortunately I have only played a handfull but that is a different league than I was thinking about more midrange, but any perspective is fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Even though he was a Douche, Ed Roman Guitars are pretty friggin sweet. Not all fall into your list pricing.
G&L make a great guitar
Baker Guitars
I want to try one of the new Splawn guitars, if they are anywhere neer as nice as the amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're playing bass, look into AC Guitars in the UK. Custom builds.

I have seven Carvins, and will be doing another.

Suhr is doing excellent work, both with production stuff and with the custom builds.
^ I think Trashed is trying to keep it in the <$1500 camp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ I think Trashed is trying to keep it in the <$1500 camp

He did say mid-range, you're right.

The most I've paid for a Carvin to date (over half of mine were used when I bought them) has been about $1500, with that number paid for a relatively modest DC-145 (HSH configuration) with a mahogany body/neck and a very figured quilt top, back in 2006.

By not getting too extravagant with the options, Carvins can largely be kept under $2K.

The base price for a carved-top 24-fret PRS-alike 624 ranges from $1099 to around $1849 (the Neil Zaza sig edition), the latter version of which includes a lot of otherwise custom options, such as a quilted top and matching quilted headstock facing and a solid mahogany body with a tung-oiled five-piece walnut/maple set neck.

The flat top superstrat-style Carvins start at $849 base and wander up to a bit over $1500 base price as well, but that top end price *includes* a lot of the custom options most customers tick off in their ordering process.

By the time you get into the $2K+ range, you're looking at an instrument that makes a Gibson Trad in the same price range look like a student guitar.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Even though he was a Douche, Ed Roman Guitars are pretty friggin sweet. Not all fall into your list pricing.
G&L make a great guitar
Baker Guitars
I want to try one of the new Splawn guitars, if they are anywhere neer as nice as the amps

Do they still make Roman guitars? Thought he died a few years ago and they stopped.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I would love to try a splawn guitar.

I think <$2k would be what I was intending on, but i am up for whatever.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Do they still make Roman guitars? Thought he died a few years ago and they stopped.

Roman is dead (RIP). His wife has taken over the shop, last I looked.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Yeah, all of the Ed Roman Guitars are still being made by the same guys who worked for him
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dean, I love my cheap ass ML-X.Best sounding guitar that i've had and i've had some nice Jacksons too.This cheap Korean made basswood just growls like a wild animal, it's better sounding than any Jackson or ESP i've tried.
Quote by King Shredder
Dean, I love my cheap ass ML-X.Best sounding guitar that i've had and i've had some nice Jacksons too.This cheap Korean made basswood just growls like a wild animal, it's better sounding than any Jackson or ESP i've tried.

We are not talking about finding a low priced player. We are trying to find companies or guitar lines that as a whole are producing nothing but good guitars.

And you clearly haven't tried any Jackson or ESP guitars other than the entry levels at most
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 23, 2015,
Without repeating anyone else's' fine suggestions...

Love them or hate them- and I love them- Reverend is a model of consistency. I currently own 4, covering 7-8 years of production, and haven't seen a single example of the typical production error that would affect playability. Necks are laser straight, frets are properly set, electronics without issue, etc. I currently own 4, and am shopping for more.

While I don't own any yet, every Godin (or their subsidiary) product I have ever played has been likewise well-made. Currently have several Godins, Richmonds, and Seagulls on my "watch" lists on several websites.

The work of Illinois luthier Jon Kammerer is another fave of mine. Ditto New York luthierie Rock Beach. I currently own 2 Rock Beach guitars, and 6(!) of Jon's. Both make guitars that- amazingly- still cost under $2000. Their standard designs have some aesthetic quirks set them apart, but the guys are a pleasure to deal with, and you get great workmanship, killer axes for your money.

Honorable mentions: Fernandes, Electra. I love the ones I own, but my sample size is too small to know if what I have is the exception or the rule.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Robbgnarly
We are not talking about finding a low priced player. We are trying to find companies or guitar lines that as a whole are producing nothing but good guitars.

And you clearly haven't tried any Jackson or ESP guitars other than the entry levels at most

+3.1415 dean consistently builds mediocre guitars. Play a real esp, ibanez prestige, or a mij Jackson they don't compare.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Robbgnarly

Dude, a ESP Horizon FR-2 or a Jackson Japan RR-3 isnt really a entry level guitar by any means.I've tried many a guitar and played seriously since 2000.
I love the 2 Deans I have- my Time Capsule Cadillac is a stone cold killer- but I wouldn't put the company's overall production quality in the same category as any of those in this thread.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by trashedlostfdup
+3.1415 dean consistently builds mediocre guitars. Play a real esp, ibanez prestige, or a mij Jackson they don't compare.

This Dean wasn't mediocre, i've played them all son.Ibanezez are the worst crap, just try to find one one setup right, take it home and what the hell?They'll sell you those cheap models.Cheap Jacksons are horrible too.Pretty much anything cheap was gonna suck so why buy this?It looked cool, hell yeah.To my surprise it was setup ok, but what the fuck?How can it it sound like that?Jeesus, that's a 220 dollar guitar for fucks sake not Slash's whatever year Les Paul.How can it sound like an angels orgasm?But it did and it still does.
Quote by King Shredder
Dude, a ESP Horizon FR-2 or a Jackson Japan RR-3 isnt really a entry level guitar by any means.I've tried many a guitar and played seriously since 2000.

We are talking mid-range guitar lines so $750ish-$2000 presently being produced, so no your Dean isn't even close.

Now there are some really good guitars that sneek out of the low-end lines at times, but we are talking guitar to guitar consistancy. not finding that gem out of 100's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
We are talking mid-range guitar lines so $750ish-$2000 presently being produced, so no your Dean isn't even close.

Now there are some really good guitars that sneek out of the low-end lines at times, but we are talking guitar to guitar consistancy. not finding that gem out of 100's

Allrighty then.
Quote by King Shredder
Allrighty then.

if you know of some lesser known guitar companies or ones that haven't been mentioned then list them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well if we are talking mid range then i'll give props to BC Rich. within the last few years they really have stepped it up with their mid-range to higher end guitars (basically neck thru models). for a long time they were judged almost solely by the bronze series guitars of the 90s (yes truly aweful). in the early 2000s they started to make some decent guitars that have been sadly overlooked. (yeah i know the asthetics still need some work for some of the guitars).
I second BC Rich. The two I have owned were very well put together, one of which was a dreaded Bronze series. And if you factor in price, you get a lot of guitar for the money.
Suhr , Heritage , Carvin , G&L and Reverand are the brands I been looking at lately ...... Heritage or Carvin/Kiesel is probably what I will get next (more and likely the kiesel) , but I've been more on a amp quest lately than guitar
Fender.

Have 4 American Standards (2 Strats & 2 Teles) and an American Deluxe Strat and for me they're the ultimate, go-to midrange guitar to have as your everyday workhorses.

Note: Some other brands discussed here either aren't widely available in Europe, or they are available but extremely expensive compared to the US prices.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Love them or hate them- and I love them

We know

Anyway, yeah, I'd say Fender. Obvious choice and sold in such volume as there'll always be people who have issues with them, but they're just a very dependable brand imo
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
We know

Is it that obvious?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 24, 2015,
I'm going to give another vote to Fender. Don't think I have heard of anyone be majorly dissatisfied with one and every one i have played has been very solid.

Also the Ibanez Prestige and LTD 1000 series are pretty damn good guitars.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Duesenberg, Rickenbacker (some of the more affordables fall into the price range given - in euros at least), Knaggs, Guild, D'Angelico, Maybach, Haar, Smitty. Zemaitis does some cheaper stuff as well now which is also great.
Knaggs are awesome, but do they make anything under $2500?

G&L are killer. The ASAT's i played were just remarkable.

I very rarely come across a bad Fender. Their QC is leaps ahead of other companies found in "big box" stores.
Burrito Enthusiast
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Knaggs are awesome, but do they make anything under $2500?

I played a single cut model of theirs recently that was just under 2k euros.

Probably one of the few under 2.5k that they do, most of them are 4K and up or something like that.
edwards, tokai and bacchus deserve a mention here.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I played a single cut model of theirs recently that was just under 2k euros.

Probably one of the few under 2.5k that they do, most of them are 4K and up or something like that.

Good to know!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Is it that obvious?

It was the altar with the votive candles that gave it away.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Good to know!

Absolute monster, also. One of the few single cuts I've played that I would actually buy instead of a regular old Gibson Les Paul. Nothing about the quality of Gibson, just the feel and the stuff in between my ears I guess.