Hi,
First of all sorry for my bad English.
I am a musician for 10 years and I haven't got any audio interface for home recording.
I play electric guitar and I'm searching for cheap and good quality audio interface to record my music.
I am searching a lot for a good one that I won't regret about it.
I want a sound card that I can connect my electric guitar directly and with guitar rig 5 to be able to record in high quality.

I have found several audio interfaces that seems promising
But still I have to pick the right one.
Onyx blackjack
presonus audiobox 22vsl
line 6 pod ux 2
Steinberg ur22
Those what I have found.
I have also saw the Scarlett 2i2 but it seems to clipping with electric guitar.

So someone can help me decide what is the best audio interface in this prce range for direct guitar recording?
Quote by yuvalmaster
I have also saw the Scarlett 2i2 but it seems to clipping with electric guitar.

Sounds like someone had no idea how to use it.

A focusrite saffire or a focusrite scarlet are the interfaces I'd definitely recommend over anything on your current list. The presonus is a nice second option I think. But I see no reason to get anything other than a focusrite.

Also, read the sticky. It has tons of information on the subject.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Sounds like someone had no idea how to use it.

A focusrite saffire or a focusrite scarlet are the interfaces I'd definitely recommend over anything on your current list. The presonus is a nice second option I think. But I see no reason to get anything other than a focusrite.

Also, read the sticky. It has tons of information on the subject.

I have heard about the saffire 6 but still I saw on the internet that it has clipping issues too. Btw I have an Marshall ma50 preamp. Can I connect it to the sound card directly instead of connecting it to the cabin and connect my guitar to the sound card? I really don't understand in recording
^ That is an amp head. With that thing on it needs a speaker load or you'll have problems. Even with the speaker attached, using just the effects loop send (the preamp) and you probably will not get a very nice signal. Or at least I don't recommend it.

If you plug your guitar directly into a high-quality interface, like the Focusrite or Blackjack (I have the latter) you should be able to reduce the input gain enough that you do not get clipping issues. Kevätuhri was saying that whoever said it clips with electric did not know how to reduce the input gain. However if the guitar has active pickups it might overload any interface's port entirely.

If you want to go direct (guitar into interface) and use software amp sims, you can do that with the Focusrite or Blackjack. You can also attach that Marshall amp head to a cab, and stick a mic in front of it and plug that into the interface if you want that tone as well.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 23, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
^ That is an amp head. With that thing on it needs a speaker load or you'll have problems. Even with the speaker attached, using just the effects loop send (the preamp) and you probably will not get a very nice signal. Or at least I don't recommend it.

If you plug your guitar directly into a high-quality interface, like the Focusrite or Blackjack (I have the latter) you should be able to reduce the input gain enough that you do not get clipping issues. Kevätuhri was saying that whoever said it clips with electric did not know how to reduce the input gain.

If you want to go direct (guitar into interface) and use software amp sims, you can do that with the Focusrite or Blackjack. You can also attach that Marshall amp head to a cab, and stick a mic in front of it and plug that into the interface if you want that tone as well.

Thank you very much for your answer!
I'm noob in recording.. I know how to use recoding softwares, I have pro tools.
I just want to record my guitars in a studio quality by direct input. What gear should I need with the audio interface? There is really difference between recording with mic and amp and recording directly? What do you prefer as a cheap interface? I want something that I will be able to record in the future more instruments like keybord and stuff.please help, u just want to know how to build a recording rig.

I've got the computer
A fender telecaster
And the Marshall amp.
My price range is at max 250$
Last edited by yuvalmaster at Oct 23, 2015,
If I am correct Focusrite has better quality interfaces than the Mackie Onyx Blackjack. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is the same price range as the Blackjack. I have not compared the two myself but I do not think you could go wrong with the Scarlett.

Recording direct will allow the amp sim software to do its work easier and better I think. If you record with the amp and mic you are really getting the amp's tone recorded. Looking at it this way, if you use amp sims while recording the amp with a mic, you are somewhat stacking two tones on top of each other. So it is better to go direct if you're using simulation software. The Scarlett and the Blackjack can both do direct.

And buying the interface itself should include the USB cable to connect it to your computer. You just need your guitar cable and a mic cable if you want to mic something.

With both of those interfaces, though, you can only record two sound sources at a time. So guitar and bass, keyboard and vocals, etc. So you cannot record an entire band at once. That is not usually an issue in studio, often parts are recorded individually. With an instrument like drums or vocals, you have to use mics. Drums can sound good with a mic on the bass drum and an overhead mic.
Quote by Will Lane
If I am correct Focusrite has better quality interfaces than the Mackie Onyx Blackjack. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is the same price range as the Blackjack. I have not compared the two myself but I do not think you could go wrong with the Scarlett.

Recording direct will allow the amp sim software to do its work easier and better I think. If you record with the amp and mic you're really getting the amp's tone. Looking at it this way, if you use amp sims while recording the amp with a mic, you're somewhat stacking two tones on top of each other. So it is better to go direct if you're using simulation software. The Scarlett and the Blackjack can both do direct.

And buying the interface itself should include the USB cable to connect it to your computer. You just need your guitar cable and a mic cable if you want to mic something.

I have heard that if I get a Scarlett I need to buy additional di box because it has low gain and it will clip without it.
BTW thanks for your help!! I will buy one of these interface with guitar rig 5. Hope it will sound good enough
Last edited by yuvalmaster at Oct 23, 2015,
Well then you can get a decent DI box with the rest of your budget. I haven't had an issue with headroom from the Blackjack myself, so if that makes you feel safer then you can get that one.

According to our Recording sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33012226&postcount=2 The 2i4 had pads that reduce the signal even more, essentially doing what the DI box would do. The 2i4 is still in your budget. That would be even safer I would think.
Quote by Will Lane
Well then you can get a decent DI box with the rest of your budget. I haven't had an issue with headroom from the Blackjack myself, so if that makes you feel safer then you can get that one.

According to our Recording sticky: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33012226&postcount=2 The 2i4 had pads that reduce the signal even more, essentially doing what the DI box would do. The 2i4 is still in your budget. That would be even safer I would think.

Thanks a lot!!
Just two last things,
If I connect directly can I connect bypass distortion (my tonebone plexitube) in the cabin to the interface or should I only use the guitar rig.
And if I will buy in the future a mic to record through my amp which should I buy? And if the sound card have phantom power?
1. You can connect a distortion box to the interface but it probably will not sound too good. The simulation software would probably sound better. So going right from guitar to the interface to guitar rig 5 will probably sound the best.

2. Shure SM57 mics are good, standard for recording. It does not need phantom power.

3. Both the 2i4 and Blackjack have phantom power, but it is applied to both inputs. An SM57 will be fine with phantom power. Some mics will break with phantom power though, so just be sure to do some research on other mics if you have to use phantom power.
Quote by Will Lane
1. You can connect a distortion box to the interface but it probably will not sound too good. The simulation software would probably sound better. So going right from guitar to the interface to guitar rig 5 will probably sound the best.

2. Shure SM57 mics are good, standard for recording. It does not need phantom power.

3. Both the 2i4 and Blackjack have phantom power, but it is applied to both inputs. An SM57 will be fine with phantom power. Some mics will break with phantom power though, so just be sure to do some research on other mics if you have to use phantom power.

Man you're the best!! Thanks for the helpful information!
I done my research and I found that the onyx blackjack has better quality sound and can handle any guitar without clipping. Has anything I want in 100$...