Well hi there people of UG! i have been in this site for like 5 years but never actually got into the forums, my loss right?
anyway, i have this problem that i have seen been covered up a bit but it can't seem to get rid of.
so, recently i have been trying to speed up my picking, alternate picking, and got into a problem that is carried on to all of my playing, even while not practicing this specific technique. whenever i pick now i have serious tension in my right shoulder and arm, which as you can imagine after several minutes starts burning and hurting and i really dont know what to do with it! i have tried changing posture, anchoring, not anchoring, sitting differently, nothing works. how in the world do i fix this crap? it sucks and it makes me play suckishly whenever i try to speed up, and is painful even if i don't try speeding.

help me fellow guitarists!

best ragards,
snirkd
Don't move anything but your wrist.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Don't move anything but your wrist.

tried this, of course i try not to move anything, i don't usually, but that doesnt matter...
its no use...
Quote by snirkd
tried this, of course i try not to move anything, i don't usually, but that doesnt matter...
its no use...

Don't just try to do it. Only pick with your wrist. If that doesn't make the problem go away, take a break. Get back to it in a few days.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Don't just try to do it. Only pick with your wrist. If that doesn't make the problem go away, take a break. Get back to it in a few days.

i actually tried emphsizing the wrist only, but somehow the shoulder still get tensed and burns up, i also tried taking like a week break to wait until the initial pain will go away and its no good either.
It sounds like it's now a reflex action. The general advice you'd hear is to slow everything way down and concentrate on your shoulders NOT tensing up.

Beyond that, based on your experimentation, I'm inclined to say it's not because of your position that you're experiencing this.
thanks guys. ok so lets sum things up advice wise, before this stupid thing happend i was able to play quite nice solos and wasn't overall bad,and when i started alternate picking exercises (chromatic 1-2-3-4, spider type, etc) it showed up. i also noticed that i tend to tense more on the E-A-D strings and on higher frets. do you guys suggest that i start practicing from zero like speed? i mean 25-30 BPM and go on or its not just that? any more tips on how to get rid of this?