Sorry about making yet another thread, but I reckon this deserves a topic of it's own rather than being shoved onto the end of my last thread.

Anyway, I found this Fender Standard Jazz Bass on an online music store called bax-shop.co.uk for only £429. It's new, a typical MIM jazz bass (as far as I know) and seems to have all the bells and whistles of normal online retailers (2 day delivery etc). Most of these basses go for £700+. Should I be worried? It's an absolute steal if not, I guess. I'm looking for a bass around this price point anyway.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/right-handed-bass-guitar/fender-standard-jazz-bass-candy-apple-red-mn?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtaexBRCohZOAoOPL88oBEiQAr96eSIeHilmMnIBRXmTqWRp0sYx6ZncZqr1FCTsHgWbdQbcaAjpv8P8HAQ

Woody
Last edited by Bassmania127 at Oct 23, 2015,
Either it's an older model that's been lingering in their storeroom (MIMs used to be dirt cheap like this just a few years ago) or it's a new model without the updated price.

Either way, don't buy that trash.
Quote by Spaz91
Either it's an older model that's been lingering in their storeroom (MIMs used to be dirt cheap like this just a few years ago) or it's a new model without the updated price.

Either way, don't buy that trash.

Maybe we have a different perception of "trash". I've been using a £99 Stagg BC300 for three-ish years now. When I see a Fender (a real Fender) for £429, I guess my reaction is different to yours.

Can I ask what the difference between the MIM Fenders and the USA Fenders are?

Woody
Quote by Bassmania127
Maybe we have a different perception of "trash". I've been using a £99 Stagg BC300 for three-ish years now. When I see a Fender (a real Fender) for £429, I guess my reaction is different to yours.

And I think you totally missed the smiley face just beyond "trash."
I started on a BC300 too. I feel your pain.

I call MIM Fenders trash because that's exactly what they are in their price range, even at 400. I've had three over the past ten years and two of them played and sounded like shit (the other was a Highway One). I've also had a metric fuckton of Squier CVs and VMs all of which completely outclassed the MIM in build quality and tone.

In the 400-500 range you want to be looking at brands like Ibanez or maybe even Rockbass where you might actually get your money's worth rather than paying a premium just because it has Fender written on the headstock.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Oct 24, 2015,
I have a list I'm looking at, including the Ibanez SR375-BBS and the SBMM Stingray SUB 5. Also looking at the Squier VM Jazz Bass. One compelling thing about the MIM Jazz Bass for me is the incredible sound that the youtuber "Davie504" can get out of his. That's exactly the tone I'm looking for. I'm obviously nowhere near as good a bass player but that sound man....

Woody
His tone is pretty great but it has pretty much nothing to do with the brand of bass he uses. He's always using a fresh set of RS66s and an MXR M87 compressor which is going make your sound punchy as fuck on any bass but he also records both the DI and amped sound (a GK combo IIRC) and blends them to perfect his tone. It may be that he got a gem of a MIM bass (all my gigging and recording basses and guitars are cheap models that turned out well by accident) but I doubt it's important in his tone.

If you want a good jazz bass then my recommendation is to either go used, like this used MIJ 70's reissue so you're effectively stretching your budget by several hundred pounds OR get something nice from the Cort factory like a G&L Tribute JB2 which is also cheap on that weirdass website.

Get a good compressor too, they're everything.
I should have mentioned - my original budget was only £350, so I was stretching it a lot with the Fender Jazz Bass as it was. I don't think I can afford anything more expensive than that.

A compressor is next on my list for stuff to buy. I've just ordered a Fender Rumble 30 as my new practice amp, and next is a new bass. After that, compressor. Anything else you'd recommend?

Woody
IF £350 is your budget then a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz is your best bet without at doubt. I know they do a lot more CV and VM models these days so shop around.

I'd wait until you're gigging and recording before spending any extra money on effects because there's only so much you can do when you're playing through a practise amp. I definitely recommend using a USB interface for playing through modeling software and recording (good for practising with songs and doing covers) but I'm not too well read up on those things atm.
I've got a Digidesign MBox 2 Mini as my audio interface, using GarageBand on my MacBook Pro. I don't do a huge amount of recording, but I will normally sit down once or twice a week and record whatever my fingers want me to do for a few hours. If I find anything good, I jot it down in tab for me to use for songs later on.

All I need now is a decent bass to make whatever I play sound half decent. My BC300 is fairly pimped out, all it needs is new pickups and a new bridge for it to be changed entirely (I've got a newish set of Ernie Ball Extra Slinkies on and I've installed a new tone capacitor), but it's still not quite got the sound I want.

I'll look into the Squier models you suggested. With a set of Rotosound RS66s they should sound great. Might even change the pickups later on. I often try to make the best of what I've got, rather than just wait until I can afford a more expensive bass.

Woody
Quote by Bassmania127

Can I ask what the difference between the MIM Fenders and the USA Fenders are?

Woody

The real difference? MIM are made in Mexico. The MIA ones tend to be more variable with poorer quaility control than Mexican ones if anything but the real high end Fenders are all MIA. There are a wide range of outcomes for both USA and Mexican Fenders and you may get a good one or a dog of any model. It's really important to try Fenders out before you buy. For instance someone else has had a bad experience with a Highway One but my Highway Jazz sounds great.

I wouldn't go for this one because you can't try it out. You'd get more for that price going used with the advantage of being able to try before parting with a lot of money. The other thing is that mail order firms don't usually do a proper set up before selling their basses and most shops will. There's very little to go wrong with a bass and most things can be easily fixed so there are few risks in buying used. Just check the neck is straight.

Rather than letting yourself be seduced by a picture on the screen start going round the shops trying basses, it's much more fun and you will know when you find the right one for you.