Poll: Which guitar cable do you use?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar cable do you use?
Planet Waves
16 64%
Mogami
2 8%
Sommer
0 0%
Klotz
0 0%
Evidence Audio
2 8%
Canare
2 8%
Lava
1 4%
George L
1 4%
Dimarzio
1 4%
Vovox
0 0%
Voters: 25.
Which guitar cable do you use, and which cables weren't you impressed with?
Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ at Oct 23, 2015,
I use Spectraflex N-Flex and also Monster...Pro-Co has never impressed me, Mogami cables are also kind of *meh* for me...haven't really used any others.
Now I'm on Zoloft because you told me I was crazy,
and I won't jump 'cause now I know you'd never catch me.
Fender Custom Shop - because I like the look of the old fashioned tweed covering. I've tried many leads over the years and can't say that any have had a discernible impact on my sound. But when I started we all used curly leads so anything will sound better than that. Perhaps it is the quality of modern leads but they don't seem to need attacking with a soldering iron quite so frequently.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I love the Planet Waves American Stage cables, they lock into the guitar's input very nicely and they're very clear! I swear my tone cleaned up more when I got one
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
Mogami and I build my own.
Tried some Hosa years ago and thought they were total crap.
I could tap my pick on the cord going from my guitar to my amp and heard it through the amp.
I've been using Fender cables for a few years. They're cheap, and I haven't had one shit the bed on me yet. Livewires and Monster cables used to crap out on me all the time, and they don't seem to have as much shielding as the Fender ones. Also, the fender right angled jack cables are cheaper than other brands right angle cables.
I use a mix of planet waves American stage cables for the 4 cable method. And then evidence audio for the patch cables and speaker cables. I'd love to have evidence audio for all of it but I'm not made of money...
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Don't really like planetwaves

I've liked most of the reasonably-priced (~£10-£20 per cable; less for patch cables) pro quality European stuff i've tried- van damme, klotz, sommer, cordial.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
South Creek Audio Cables. Straight on one end, 90° on the other.
Mustang v2 III/IV●EXP-1●FUSE●REMUDA●Yamaha THR10C
Epi LP Florentine Pro●LP Cstm Pros●LP PlusTop Pro●Sheraton-II Pro
Cstm Strat Vntg Noiseless●Guild D-55
So Creek Cables●BOSS RC-1●RS7500
D'Addario Strings●Vari-Grip●Planet Lock Straps
Last edited by MusicLaw at Oct 26, 2015,
I almost never use bridge pickups and usually keep the tone knob below 5, so I don’t care if my cheap cables are sucking tone. Right now I’m using some no-name cable I found in a bargain bin because I like the black and grey checker cloth on it. I use a Fender cable when I need something long. I have a lot of 10' Livewire cables that I use between the amp and pedals.
I use Monster for my guitars and other general cables on everything else. Monster is not on this list.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 25, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I use Monster for my guitars and other general cables on everything else. Monster is not on this list.

Because to many musicians they are considered inferior and overpriced. They are great cables though, without a doubt.
i make mine with cable that out specs canare and moogami with switchraft jacks.

i do use monster for live use only, (mainly because i have them), and they are pretty rugged. i like that the plug side is solid resin, for some reason i feel that they would be less likely to fail during abuse.

but mine are noticeably better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree that Monster cables can be overpriced but I don't think they are inferior. I have a 20 ft. Mogami cable that I have also used for a few years and they are also good. The two Monster cables I have (a 10 ft. and a 20ft.) are my regular guitar cables (10 ft. from the guitar to the pedals and the 20 ft. out to the amp.) Mine are not the top end Monster cables but after five years of use they still work fine with no hum or noise and I would buy them again. There are lots of good cables but a few are way very overpriced. I'm not a connoisseur of cables so I am not familiar with most on the posted list. If the cable works and is quiet, that's it for me.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 26, 2015,
Dimarzio, but I'm looking into building my own pretty seriously.

Also, as far as sound quality from cables - they're all the same.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I make my own out of a reel of microphone cable from when my dad was an electrical contractor. It's almost free.

As far as I'm concerned as long as the cables aren't made from monkey metal, it doesn't matter. There are better things to be spending money on.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 26, 2015,
this thread is dumb.

to me durability/reliability is more important.

i think you could probably tell the difference on a $5 cable and a $100 cable yourself knowing your own tone and rig, but there are millions of other factors that go into your tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Where is "none of the above" on the poll?

The first electric guitar & pedal cables I bought were from Radio Shack. Yes. And they were as crappy as you could imagine.

Over time, I picked up different patch cables as they went on sale at GC and other stores, including some as-yet unused Planet Waves ones- but most of what I have was made for a local family owned music store.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I use SHOOTOUT!

;O)

Before I used custom mades with Neutrik ends (one reason being that hardly any brands using traditional barrel plugs are made with proper strain relief i.e. glued heatshrink and Neutriks are a distant second best to that).

Way back I used Whirlwind with the moulded strain relief but I don't recall if that was actually sealed/glued down.

These days I'm not at all impressed with most cables on the market as I now know better!

Gold plated plugs are a Hi-Fi world joke and are actually a galvanic corrosion risk etc.

Lots of cables even quite expensive ones use inferior spiral shield or solid rather than foam PE insulation for example.

Tons of absurd snake oil in guitar cable world. Would be funny if it wasn't so sad/misleading.

Cheap is generally crap and really expensive is snake oil... basically.

Cheers,

Marc.
Last edited by SHOOTOUT! at Oct 29, 2015,
Quote by SHOOTOUT!
I use SHOOTOUT!

One speculates that you might have a slight bias...

But I agree with your contentions.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by imgooley
I've been using Fender cables for a few years. They're cheap, and I haven't had one shit the bed on me yet. Livewires and Monster cables used to crap out on me all the time, and they don't seem to have as much shielding as the Fender ones. Also, the fender right angled jack cables are cheaper than other brands right angle cables.

I agree100%. I know that cables DO indeed make a difference with feedback and fuzz. I've blown through sooooo many cables over the years. So many that I don't trust buying a super expensive cable for 40-75$ when I can buy 4 for that price and just use them temporarily and when one breaks either resolder it or toss it. No big deal.

I've tried monster, live wire, demarzio, cheap cables, mid priced cables..... I've found fenders to be the most reliable best sounding for me personally.
Quote by Arby911
One speculates that you might have a slight bias...

But I agree with your contentions.

lol

but yeah agreed as well
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have some mogami, some monster, some planet waves, some monoprice, some live wire. All kinds of stuff.