Been playing for 2 months about 3-6 hrs per day. My main influences are john frusciante, to a lesser extent omar rodriguez lopez, mainly for the atmosphere of his songs not neccesarily his guitar playing. I also dig alot of songs from the piper at the gates of dawn so another would be syd barret. I also like alot of folky style acoustic music. My main question is though how long would it take one to reach the ability to play johns music smoothely, or write stuff of the styles that i just listed? Im pretty damned disciplined too, now and again i find that i float off and start noodling around but usually just snap right back. Already worked through a book and started on another course.
It depends entirely on you. There's no "set time until I'm good"

It just doesn't exist.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
okay i guess that will do. Since i have no job im playing guitar like it is a job heh. I'd say i made good progress so far. Probably pretty insane progress. I need to expand my influences a bit i'd like a little more than 3. The only other one i could think of is eddie van halen but i dont see how his style applies to the others really. I just love the sound of his guitar
Last edited by guygroomes85 at Oct 24, 2015,
I agree with ChemicalFire.

You could practice your Syd Barrett style guitar playing for 20 years and never learn to play anything else, but then start to learn something by EVH and find it a real challenge.

If you want to learn to be a consummate musician, then you must consume as much different music as possible as they will all be stirred into the big melting pot that is you and you will come out with a playing style all of your own.

Joining a covers band is actually a really good way to do this as it will force you to learn songs you wouldn't otherwise listen to (let alone play).
kinda the idea right now to just have a very very strong foundation, got a couple books on theory as well, frusciante mentioned in interviews he would strongly advise that to a beginner. Yeah as of right now and probably for awhile i won't laser focus. The thing is for a beginner is hard to have any timetables for progress although i guess thats missing the point of the journey in the first place. Im 30 years old though and i would like to be able to play excellent before im 36-40. Infact asap. When i learned drums i would noodle around alot and it took forever to get better. Infact i would say i probably wasted a year farting around. I had fun farting around but i couldn't hang with people who were way better than me and that always sucked.
Last edited by guygroomes85 at Oct 24, 2015,
If you're really set on getting good and you don't have a teacher.

Get a teacher.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'll atleast try it. Do a couple lessons and if its not going well then stop. Trying to wrap my head around the theory book. lol
Last edited by guygroomes85 at Oct 26, 2015,