I've beem going crazy with my new US strat. The low E goes up and down 10 cents or more when I try to tune. Some of the other strings vary but to a lesser degree. On my Ibanez tuning is fine. I lowered all my pickups and no change. I raised the action, and adjusted intonation but no change. Tried tuning with each pickup position and adjusted the knobs many ways. No significant change.

I use the peterson istrobosoft tuner on ipad.. Same issues with other app tuners. Plugged through iRigHD. I bought a Snark SN8 last week to try and get around it if there is an issue with tuning theough my ipad and irigHD. The snark doesn't display much variation, but the accuracy is so low there is no way to tell. Waste of money.

There's not a good store near me to get it checked out. Hoping I can find a fix for it. If you have any ideas please let me know.

I can tune by ear but i want to properly set up the intonation and need the tuner to work for that.

Separate but related question: in the event that this issue is not the fault of the setup, would a stompbox like Polytune 2 be more accurate than the strobosoft?
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
If the Snark isn't picking up the difference then I wouldn't worry about it.

I would recommend replacing the standard tuning machines with either locking Fender/Ping tuners like they use on most of their Deluxes, or getting some Sperzel locking tuners. If you don't mind a satin finish, you can also get Fender/Schaller locking tuners, but they're hard to find in a polished chrome. I've got all 3 kinds; IMO, the Schallers are the best, then the Sperzels, then the Pings. If you can't find the Sperzels you want at a retail outlet, you can call them and do a custom order usually for less than what something similar would cost in a store.

Also be sure to stretch the strings until they stop dropping pitch.

Finally, you can replace the nut with an LSR roller nut, or at least use something like a graphite lube in the nut slots and saddles (don't bother with pencil lead).
Do you actually hear this tuning problem?

The low E can be a floppy/loose string in many combinations of tunings and gauges and if you pick hard, you will see the pitch fluctuating easily with the string going sharp initially before it settles down. This is a problem of many guitarists who use strings that are on the thinner side - tuning the strings slightly sharp isn't really a way to solve it, but working on technique/getting heavier strings most certainly is.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Oct 24, 2015,
Quote by derek8520
Not sure what your problem is.

+1 is your problem the guitar or the tuner?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Replacing parts makes zero sense when you do not know what the actual problem is.It is possible the nut is not cut properly and the string is hanging up/catching there. There is a ton of info on the care and feeding of a Strat out there on the internut. Time for you to do some homework.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Looking at your posting history, you've been tinkering with the setup. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to take into account the balancing act between string tension and tremolo spring tension. This can be dialed in by adjusting the claw.

The nut could also be binding the strings.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
It's always a good idea to install locking tuners on a Strat if you like tuning stability. Or at least tie the strings on and don't use windings.

Also, if it's an American Special or Highway 1, then it will come with 2 string Ts and getting locking tuners will give you staggered heights so you can get rid of the string Ts and get more stability there, too. But the trem will be inferior to an AM Standard due to the 6 point trem instead of a 2 point.

If the trem isn't decked anymore, then it will be important to get your spring tension right so that the trem floats in tune at the right height.
Quote by SpeedSterHR
It's always a good idea to install locking tuners on a Strat if you like tuning stability. Or at least tie the strings on and don't use windings.

In my experience, locking tuners don't offer any additional tuning stability over non-locking ones. They just make the guitar faster to restring.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
In my experience, locking tuners don't offer any additional tuning stability over non-locking ones. They just make the guitar faster to restring.

Agree on the first point (they don't offer any better tuning stability whatsoever, if you have any clue as to how to restring properly) and disagree on the second - I've had the damn locking mechanism get stuck more times than I can count to on both Gotoh and Schaller ones.

Unreliable junk, that's locking tuners for you.

Thanks guys. To answer some of this.. I am stumped on if it is the guitar or the tuner that is the issue. Probably the guitar though since the Ibanez tunes with the tuner. It is probably not a problem with the tuners or nut, since variation during tuning occurs on every fret on the 6th string, even the 22nd. It does sound a little strange on the 6th. It doesn't sound as bright or clear as the other strings.

I am using 9-42 elixers on this. I just installed the strings 2 weeks ago so while I would like to experiment with a heavier gauge, I want to wait until a change is needed.

The tremelo is in the position is comes in, connected to the body where I can only push down on it. I have not adjusted the springs at all.

Thanks
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Could possibly be a bad restringing. The angle over the nut has to be sufficient, and that requires a certain amount of wraps around the post of the tuner - every wrap should go neatly over the other, pushing the string down.

Quote by HomerSGR
Could possibly be a bad restringing. The angle over the nut has to be sufficient, and that requires a certain amount of wraps around the post of the tuner - every wrap should go neatly over the other, pushing the string down.

I looked now and the number of wraps on the 6th string are excessive. I will try rewinding and see if that works. Of course I wonder how that would affect the fretted notes?

So, I did redo the 6th string. Definitely helped with the tone, even on fretted notes for some reason. Tuning is more stable now, about 3 cents in either direction. I figure that's a good improvement for now and I'll try hybrid strings with heavier bottoms next time and be careful in stringing. Thanks!
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Oct 25, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

gotta disagree on this. locking tuners if done correctly keep the strings in almost a totally straight line which helps them slide at the nut easier. most come with staggered poles which eliminates the need for string trees (another place where strings often bind).
Quote by monwobobbo
gotta disagree on this. locking tuners if done correctly keep the strings in almost a totally straight line which helps them slide at the nut easier. most come with staggered poles which eliminates the need for string trees (another place where strings often bind).

Just get non-locking ones with staggered poles?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
i am not a fan of locking tuners. i have had schaller and they locked up on me twice, and i replaced them with normal tuners. they are faster to string though.

strats can stay in tun fine with any type of tuner, although staggered aren't a bad thing. not worth upgrading though really unless you have a major problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
strats can stay in tun fine with any type of tuner, although staggered aren't a bad thing. not worth upgrading though really unless you have a major problem.

I can attest to this. I have a Squier Standard Strat that stays in tune very well. I replaced the nut with a Tusq, and once I got the trem properly floated and the claw set right it doesn't go out of tune any more than my Epi Les Pauls. Which means virtually not at all.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Elixers are coated strings are they not? This would mean they have a slightly larger diameter than the non-coated versions. If your Strat came with 9-42s perhaps the nut slots are a tad too tight and your getting binding in the nut.
Todays's guitars have the basic stuff done by machine which includes fret slotting, location of the neck on the body, location of the bridge components etc so the guitar will have been made accurately, the issue is elsewhere and may even be induced during your setup attempts.
BTW don't unwind strings and re-install them again, they'll likely break on you after that.
Moving on.....