Hi all, want to know if everyone experience the same buzz as me when you crank gain knob to to max level with any distortion or overdrive. I just installed dimebuckers in my ibanez rg320pg with volume knob off there no buzz or on low gain as well. But am really used to max level crank my amp or pedal to.get the distortion I want and it creates the buzz noise and only disappear if I touch my string on my guitar. Whag I want to know is. Are my pick ups install wrongly or the buzz is a natural occurance when dailing in max gain
Do you have a noise gate? If not, you should get one.

I know that every person has their preferences, but cranking up the gain to max on the amp and pedals might be too much... you shouldn't need all that gain.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 24, 2015,
Getting some noise is natural when using a lot of gain. Like DanyFS suggested, look into noise gates if you haven't already got one.

As for the problem, when you mention that the sound goes away when you touch the strings, it sounds like it's a grounding problem - check your connections, it's probably just a dodgy solder joint.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Do you mean that the noise stops when you touch the strings? If so, thats a sign on a bad ground.

Did you install the pickups yourself? If so, check all the connections that you touched.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I got my dimebucker installed at the shop tho. I read if I turn down the volume knob even amp is on its not a ground problem. Then must have a noise gate then. Shall try it out. Thanks
Quote by policevsfire
I got my dimebucker installed at the shop tho. I read if I turn down the volume knob even amp is on its not a ground problem. Then must have a noise gate then. Shall try it out. Thanks

I don't really understand what you're trying to say... I think you're missing some words in there...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Make sure your guitar is grounded. There should be a cable coming from the electronics cavities, probably soldered to the back of a pot, leading to the spring claw at the bridge.

Probably worth shielding the electronics with copper tape or shielding paint.

But more importantly, that much gain is insane. Try playing with the other knobs to get the sound you want, you probably don't need that much gain. You're always going to have some problems with hum with gain on 10.

Oh yeah, and I reiterate the advice given on the noisegates. They make a big difference, I can personally vouch for the Boss NS-2, but there's tons more out there.
Measure the resistance between the strings and the shield on your output jack. It should be very close to 0.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay after reading all the comments. Am pretty sure I have a minor ground problem and I need a noise gate. Thanks guys
If you have a ground issues, a noise gate is not going to fix it. It may cover it up a little, but you'll still hear the buzz as you're playing.

When you said "dialling in max gain" in your 1st post, are you talking about on your amp, or the volume on your guitar?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Amp as well as pedal. Am using a marshall MG15R, I always like to max dial the gain on the overdrive channel kinda give that rock and roll yet metal feel, as for metal am using a modtone extreme metal also max gain for that metal feel. If my ground wiring right am just suppose to have slightly humming buzz right if I crank the dial?. The buzz from my dimebucker set is awful if I dont touch my fret board. You recommend I bring in to the shop for an inspection and buy a noise gate right?. Am looking for a sweet yet metal tone distortion sound as the stock infinite 3 and 4 ibanez kinda lack warmth tone to me feels like it's because the guitar has a thin neck
It's normal, the more gain you dial in the more noise you get. Generally guitar players use noisegates to attenuate this.

BUt i'd also like to tell you that maxing out the gain often is a bad idea. Your note definition goes down and everything will sound messy if you play with a band. Using less gain will usually result in a better defined and, yes, heavier sound.
Gear:
PRS custom 24 (2000)
PodHD500x (cause i'm poor, upgrade soon)
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
Quote by AEnesidem
It's normal, the more gain you dial in the more noise you get. Generally guitar players use noisegates to attenuate this.

BUt i'd also like to tell you that maxing out the gain often is a bad idea. Your note definition goes down and everything will sound messy if you play with a band. Using less gain will usually result in a better defined and, yes, heavier sound.

This. Heavy metal bands use less gain (specially when recording) than you might think TS. You don't have to max out the gain on both amp and pedals to get that super br00talzzz sound. You'll sound heavier and, more importantly, better if you roll down that gain knob.