So.. on my attic I found an old acoustic guitar... It looks bad, there are lot of scratches and stains so I was wondering how do you recommend me to fix that? The other thing is that all of the strings are broken, the bridge is hanging loose and the tuning pegs look a little bit rusty. If I glued the bridge in it's original position, removed the broken strings and attached new ones, will it become a functional acoustic guitar? I'm not looking for a high end quality guitar, I usually play an electric guitar in a punk band so, yeah, I don't care THAT much about perfect sound, all I want is an acoustic I can mess around with in my house.
What do you think, should I give it a try?
Well, unless this is a brand name something or other, (Most likely Gibson or Martin), its going to be a labor of love, not of profit.

If the guitar has any markings, (name on head stock, paper sticker in sound hole), you might try googling it to determine its origin / history.

As far as fixing it for fun goes, if you have the necessary skills and tools to do the repairs, who am I to tell you not to do it?

You do have to take the time to learn what acoustic guitar setup specs need to be. Old acoustics are notorious for needing neck resets to get the action down to where it needs to be to make the guitar playable. "Neck reset" = "big, not likely worth it, project".

The too, if it's a really low end clunker, even a grunge aficionado such as yourself might not be happy with the tone.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 24, 2015,
Quote by leskarim7
So.. on my attic I found an old acoustic guitar... It looks bad, there are lot of scratches and stains so I was wondering how do you recommend me to fix that? The other thing is that all of the strings are broken, the bridge is hanging loose and the tuning pegs look a little bit rusty. If I glued the bridge in it's original position, removed the broken strings and attached new ones, will it become a functional acoustic guitar? I'm not looking for a high end quality guitar, I usually play an electric guitar in a punk band so, yeah, I don't care THAT much about perfect sound, all I want is an acoustic I can mess around with in my house.
What do you think, should I give it a try?

why not? nothing ventured, nothing gained.

post a picture of this thing and you will get better help.
It doesn't matter how it looks if it's not playable. Sight the neck to see if it's got a wee bit of relief and is angled OK to the bridge. If it's really BENT you're in trouble - the fretboard will need to be removed and the neck leveled. Bridge heights can be changed. Better to leave the saddle/bridge unglued for a while and install a temporary (or not) tailpiece til other problems are sorted out, even then you may not need to glue it, they tend to hold their place anyway and differences in string intonation can be adjusted by moving the saddle around.
As far as looks, if it's badly beat up a filler and solid color paint is your best bet.
I don't care how stinking cheap or damaged a guitar is, I do everything possible to make it good/easy to play. It's always worth it to me but I respect others' opinions. If you don't have the inclination or the skill it's not worth the trouble.
Last edited by skido13 at Nov 6, 2015,
Thank you all very much for your replies, however I don't think I'll be messing around with that guitar for now