Hey guys,

Currently in the market for a new acoustic up to the £800 region, and have seen that the aforementioned guitar exists. My local PRS dealer doesn't have it yet, but I've tried the previous Angelos models and quite enjoyed them. Quite like the idea of a shallower body as well, as I don't particular require outward acoustic projection. My only concern is obviously that I wouldn't be able to hear it at the moment before buying, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too far removed from the PRS acoustics I've played before.

Any input, or potential other models to check out? I generally play 90s-esque alt rock, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam, that kind of thing, and some fingerstyle solo work.

Thanks in advance, and if there's any info I've missed, just let me know.
Well, chamber volume affects free air resonance. Which means a smaller volume will have a higher free air resonance. Which means, generally speaking a thin body guitar will have less prominent and higher pitch in the bass than it's fatter siblings. If this is something you can deal with, then it wouldn't be an issue.

Ovation is sort of famous for making different bowl depths for different ends. The thin bowls are just that, thin sounding. You gotta plug in, and still the high end is favored. which amounts to an "acoustic lead guitar". Erstwhile, the fat ladies sound good and full acoustically.(*) Wood guitars generally fare no better or worse given the same criteria.

!. I doubt the guitar would be as full in the bass as the "Angelus" series which you have already played.

2. Every time PRS sells an "Alex Lifeson" model, Mr. Lifeson gets a check cut for his endorsement.

In any case, most thin body guitars are designed as live performance instruments.

At the end of the day, this is a "different strokes for different folks issue".

The "Taylor vs. Martin, which is better issue", can shed some light, (I think), on this issue).

Taylor's have a bright "modern" sound, which "cut's through the mix". While Martins have a, "traditional sound", which generally speaking is much more mellow. I believe Martins may be easier for for male vocalists, especially baritones to sing over.

What you want to do with the guitar will affect your choice. So then, what are your plans for this beast?

(*) (I'm not exactly sure if that pun was intended or not. At times, I have no control over them. They just sort of "go off on their own", as it were)
Cheers for the reply, man.

It's mainly going to be home recording and personal playing. I have a wonderful Warwick custom bass and a great Yamaha digital piano, and just want something to compliment those. I do the odd bit of singing, and I do sit in the baritone range. One thing I've not added, I do want a cutaway. Again, I know, it cuts down on internal volume, but I'd love the upper fret access.
Well, if you're sitting at the mixing board, you can recover some, (but not all), of the bottom, (if even necessary) with some judicious EQ. (Over boosted bass can get pretty sloppy).

To the upside, if you're going to be adding actual bass parts, a brighter guitar will position itself in the mix much easier.

Moving toward trivia, Lifeson in his latest Rush album, recounts multi-tracking
"about a 100 guitars", to, "fatten up the sound". ....(from interview in "Guitar Player Magazine)". Yikes!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 24, 2015,