Seems to be one hell of a lot of OD pedals out there, do any stand out from the pack in both killer sound and originality or is this like searching for a baboon in a thermal vent - a fool's errand
Nope, mostly just klones and screamers.

But the Hungry Robot and variants are original circuits with too many dipswitches. DOD Boneshaker has para EQ (it is a distortion, though). Seymour Duncan 805 Drive is a screamer with 3-band active EQ. Chellee effects has nice takes on the screamer and klone circuits also. EQD Palisades is a versatile screamer clone as well. And the Dr. Scientist The Elements has a lot of options too.

And this apparently: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/mxr-evh-5150-overdrive.1629051/
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 24, 2015,
Check out Protone pedals they make some cool OD pedals, a signature Jeff Loomis and Misha Mansoor OD. I like the Misha Mansoor OD for the mid boost it offers.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
I have a Dr. Scientist The Elements distortion pedal and it lets you hook up an expression pedal, so you can gradually change the amount of gain with your foot. Pretty cool idea.
stereobloom.bandcamp.com
facebook.com/stereobloommusic
If you want to stand out get an EQ and shape your sound exactly how you like it.
The Seymour Duncan 805 and Earthquaker Talons are notable for having a 3 band EQ. I think EVH is putting out an OD with a 3 band EQ, so that seems to be catching on.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Stomps remind me of fishing lures - designed to catch anglers, not fish. They all work, more or less, but, mixing metaphors, how do you separate the sheep from the goats?

I would have to have a compelling reason to stray away fro a Digitech Bad Monkey and a Boss SD-1 as a complementary duo. - BM for smooth, SD-1 for rough.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 24, 2015,
I like my Gigfx VOD. three band eq with three different levels of gain, think of a wah pedal with 4 positions, Off, Od 1 OD2, OD3
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by NakedInTheRain
original doesn't necessarily mean good-sounding.

+1

but yeah there are some fairly original things out there. of course, often when something original and good comes out, it's about 15 minutes till someone else clones it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's what you do with it that makes it original or not. overdrives are fairly simplistic when you get down to it. giving you more tone shaping isn't really original just makes it better for dialing in sounds. of course teh sounds you dial in can be the original part. as far as something new and exciting i don't think overdrives are where you are going to find a whole lot of innovation per se. 50,000 tubescreamer clones can't be wrong