I am in need of some help finding a good amp to upgrade to. I am currently using an old Fender Mustang 1 and it sounds absolutely terrible. I am going for more of a Swallow the Sun/The Great Cold Distance-era Katatonia sound. I have already been looking at two specific amps lately: the Laney IRT30-112 combo and the Orange Rockerverb 50 combo. The Orange appealed to me because of its sound and the Laney because of its price tag given its stellar quality. I obviously haven't purchased either; the Orange is far beyond the reaches of my budget, and I feel like the Laney would be a quality amp but I am on the fence about its sound and am afraid I might end up not liking it at all. If anyone could give me some suggestions on some good amps that have a sound related to what I mentioned (Swallow the Sun/The Great Cold Distance-era Katatonia) that fall somewhere within the budget of the Laney, I would be more than grateful. Any help is much appreciated.
What is your current budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Harkness17
…and the Laney because of its price tag given its stellar quality.

Laney might be making some good amps now, but at no point in the last 48 years has Laney been known for stellar quality. If you want a stellar amp you need to start saving up for something hand-wired.

Getting the Swallow the Sun sound on a budget is going to be tough because nobody else makes amps with Orange voicing. Blackstar amps can get in the ballpark on the dirt channel. Even getting the Orange sound with a pedal is expensive because the only pedal that emulates modern Orange amps (most emulate the 60s/70s amps) is $380.

As for Katatonia, those guys have used all kinds of gear over the years—Matamp, Blackstar, Mesa, and Laboga. So chasing that one is probably a waste of time. If you just want to hit their Matamp sound Monstro Effects in Brazil builds a Matamp pedal for $150.
...nobody else makes amps with Orange voicing.

Actually, there ARE some boutique companies that do. Theirs just cost more!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There are Orange modules for the RM100 too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
Check your house. I bet you can find at least one amp in your house.

Problem solved, thanks!
save up for a rockerverb. its worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jpnyc
If you just want to hit their Matamp sound Monstro Effects in Brazil builds a Matamp pedal for $150.

Thanks man, I'll definitely check it out
Quote by trashedlostfdup
save up for a rockerverb. its worth it.

Yeah the Rockerverb is badass, I can totally see why its over 2 grand
Quote by Harkness17
Yeah the Rockerverb is badass, I can totally see why its over 2 grand

you maybe could find a used orange rockerverb for $1000. probably not much lower than that though.

have you looked into the "rocker 30" ? they are a bit cheaper. i am also unsure if they come in a combo. i haven't tried one in a very long time and don't remember so much what it was like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/