Hello everyone.

I'm having a odd problem with my guitar, it's a jazzmaster and has been incredibly reliable until now. The noise is a crackling type of noise that is triggered when I strum and pick, shake the guitar or knock on it as if it were someone's front door. It doesn't matter where I knock on the guitar, the same noise is produced from the headstock, tuning pegs, neck, body, pick guard but I have noticed the bridge and trem are more sensitive than other parts.

Basically I've ruled out numerous things by testing with other equipment, it's not my amp, cables or pedals.

Originally I thought it was static build up on the pick guard as it sounds similar, however softly rubbing on the pick guard doesn't trigger the noise. It's triggered when it is played, knocked on or shook.

Does anyone have any ideas? Dirty guitar jack? Loose wires/solder joint gone bad?
Sure it isn't rattling screws or anything? Offsets are known for that kind of issue.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Sure it isn't rattling screws or anything? Offsets are known for that kind of issue.

I'm sure. It's silent unplugged and a loose screw wouldn't create this noise nor an amplified one.

Quote by Tony Done
Jack socket? I had to clean one of mine recently to fix that kind of problem.

Did you have similar symptoms? Specifically a crackling noise when the guitar is knocked on or shaken around? The guitar has been well loved and cared for but it's old enough now that it's not an unreasonable suspicion.
Loud (ie at least as loud as the guitar volume) crackling sounds when I played anything at all. The vibration of the strings seems to be affecting the socket-jack connection. I fixed it with contact cleaner on a cotton tip; I also pushed the contact points inwards a bit to exert firmer pressure on the jack.
I had the same problem with my guitar. It turned out to be a bad connection in the output jack.
I had a similar issue that randomly started and continued on a cheaper guitar of mine until it literally made no sound at all. Turns out the solder connecting the pickup wires to the jack input had completely worn off so all it took was a quick resoldering. So you're lucky if it's that, anyone with a solder can fix it.
I'm inclined to believe that it's either a dirty jack or poor solder connection, that would be consistent with the sound it's making and what's triggering the noise. I'll give that a shot and report back.
Quote by hillybilly
I'm inclined to believe that it's either a dirty jack or poor solder connection, that would be consistent with the sound it's making and what's triggering the noise. I'll give that a shot and report back.

Cool, hope it goes well for you.