I was fooling around with my guitar when suddenly I played this:

|--0--|
|--0--|
|--2--|
|--3--|
|--3--|
|----|

it's like a F without the bar and I like the dark sound of it...is there any chord that sounds like it? I think that the 2nd and 3rd string give it its dark sound (B and A)
Fmaj7#11
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yes, that's the name of the chord. Learn about chord construction and you'll be able to find more voicings for it (if you like the sound of it).

That chord works well with E major chord. Play E-Fmaj7#11 (and repeat) and it gives you kind of a "Spanish" sound.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by frecebutmito
what?...ok.
In case it helps (don't worry if it doesn't ) here's the full interval names for each note (relative to F root):

|--0--| = E = major 7th
|--0--| = B = augmented 4th
|--2--| = A = major 3rd
|--3--| = F = root
|--3--| = C = perfect 5th
|----|

Chord symbol shorthand reduces all that to "Fmaj7#11".

"F" implies a major 3rd (A) and perfect 5th (C).

"maj" refers to the 7th, because a plain "7" would mean an Eb note (the most common kind of 7th). "maj" means the larger 7th, a raised 7th.

"11", because chord extensions are counted (where possible) in alternate steps: 1-3-5-7-9-11-13. In that system, B ends up as the 11th from F. It's "augmented" because F-Bb is a "perfect" 4th/11th, which would be labelled plain "11" (or sometimes "add4").
Quote by jongtr
In case it helps (don't worry if it doesn't ) here's the full interval names for each note (relative to F root):

|--0--| = E = major 7th
|--0--| = B = augmented 4th
|--2--| = A = major 3rd
|--3--| = F = root
|--3--| = C = perfect 5th
|----|

Chord symbol shorthand reduces all that to "Fmaj7#11".

"F" implies a major 3rd (A) and perfect 5th (C).

"maj" refers to the 7th, because a plain "7" would mean an Eb note (the most common kind of 7th). "maj" means the larger 7th, a raised 7th.

"11", because chord extensions are counted (where possible) in alternate steps: 1-3-5-7-9-11-13. In that system, B ends up as the 11th from F. It's "augmented" because F-Bb is a "perfect" 4th/11th, which would be labelled plain "11" (or sometimes "add4").

holy sh*t, I have to study more.Thanks guys!
^This is just the tip of the iceberg. Have fun diving.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
^This is just the tip of the iceberg. Have fun diving.

Thanks for inspiring me,bro -.-
Nothing wrong with enjoying a sea of (mis)adventure!
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Yeah that was meant to be more of a "once you get into it you'll be learning new things literally every day AWWW YEAH" type deal.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by frecebutmito
holy sh*t, I have to study more.
No you don't.
Not unless you want to, of course - and it sounds like you do, which is great!

Theory can be seductive once you get into it. Just don't forget to keep playing. It only makes sense when you hear it all in action.