HI!

Since i am a poor student and have a tight budget i couldn't afford a good cab and was stuck with the Valveking combo i hated. Luckily i had some V30's lying around and decided to build a cab myself together with a friend and transform my combo to a head.
We had around 3 weeks of work with some days off to make 2 of these cabs. But the result is there, They look and sound massive.

Specs:
2x12
18mm Birch plywood
Oversized dimensions from Zilla Fatboy
Celestion V30 and G12H creamback
Closed back.

Sound:
Very full and big, they almost sound like a 4x12 (what zilla says is true). The bass response is through the roof. I have the feeling that the G12-H creamback rounds off the V30's harshness very well and completes the sound spectrum. I'm absolutely loving these!

Done!

Cosy at home with the rest of my gear.

Sorry if this was in the wrong forum!
And for those who wonder how i could afford a PRS as a poor student, I sold my MTG collection
Last edited by AEnesidem at Oct 25, 2015,
Gaudy as hell.

Congratulations I suppose.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Good job on constructing those. You did a good job. The only thing i would have done differently though is maybe put the led strips on the inside, or mount the leds in such a way that you cant see the individual leds; i like it when you only see the overall glow and not so much the source(s)
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

@ cxrlxscr
Yes, the tolex was more gaudy than i hoped, on the pictures it seemed darker and not as gaudy looking. But thanks.... i suppose

@Watterboy
Yeah that was the original plan. We did make a smaller border behind the exterior one to put the leds on, so the leds are lower than the front border but aren't concealed completely because if we made the border on which they rest smaller, it would have been hard to screw on the baffle. And if we put them behind the grillcloth you'd get the same effect but then uglyer :p

And this is the first thing i ever built, literally. So there's a lot to improve!

Anyway, thanks!
Nice build.
You should have taken more pictures along the way and posted it in the sub-forum where I put my cab build : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230

And I agree with Watterboy's assement on the LEDs.
What you could have done (would probably have to design your build for this in mind), is put the LED's behind some white translucent plastic.
Or inside white translucent plastic tubes.
That would diffuse the glow from the individual LED's.
Quote by CodeMonk
Nice build.
You should have taken more pictures along the way and posted it in the sub-forum where I put my cab build : https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230

And I agree with Watterboy's assement on the LEDs.
What you could have done (would probably have to design your build for this in mind), is put the LED's behind some white translucent plastic.
Or inside white translucent plastic tubes.
That would diffuse the glow from the individual LED's.

Thanks, i'll take a look as i have more pictures.

I could stillput plastic over them or put them in a tube as the are actually not sticking out above the front border. If you sit right in front of the cab you can't see the leds but if you look at it in some kind of angle you'll see them cause the aren't far enough behind the border.

But i'll experiment with some plastics! thanks for the tip
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dude, if I for some random reason was in your living room (creeper lever 10000 already, nice post josh) I would just sit in front of that cab and stare at it for hours.
So how does it sound with the V30 and the Creamback playing at the same time? Interesting going for the combination instead of double V30s. Obviously it must be better in your opinion, you did say the creamback smooths out the V30 a bit.
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Oct 25, 2015,
totally absolutely bitchin'

nice work!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
So how does it sound with the V30 and the Creamback playing at the same time? Interesting going for the combination instead of double V30s. Obviously it must be better in your opinion, you did say the creamback smooths out the V30 a bit.

Thanks!

Yeah, i liked my V30's but i always found them to sound harsh at the high mids. They have a strong "ice pick" effect. The g12-h creamback makes the sound somewhat rounder and smoother because it has less mids and more bass to it. It also makes for a very versatile setup, which is good for someone like me who plays a lot of different styles.

Misha mansoor actually uses these and Zilla offers this combo on their site i believe. There must be some demos on youtube.
Last edited by AEnesidem at Oct 26, 2015,
Quote by AEnesidem
Thanks!

Yeah, i liked my V30's but i always found them to sound harsh at the high mids. They have a strong "ice pick" effect. The g12-h creamback makes the sound somewhat rounder and smoother because it has less mids and more bass to it. It also makes for a very versatile setup, which is good for someone like me who plays a lot of different styles.

Misha mansoor actually uses these and Zilla offers this combo on their site i believe. There must be some demos on youtube.

Interesting, funnily enough I've watched a few Misha vids but didn't know about the speaker combo he uses. I mainly watched the videos to do with the bareknuckle juggernaut's though. Cool, as long as it sounds awesome.
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Interesting, funnily enough I've watched a few Misha vids but didn't know about the speaker combo he uses. I mainly watched the videos to do with the bareknuckle juggernaut's though. Cool, as long as it sounds awesome.

It's the premier guitar rig runfdown, they used those cabs for the whole album i believe.