So I'm very intrigued by the Axe Fx 2 and I want to get one. But I have been seeing as of late all the neutral heads/cabs like the GT1000 fx by matrix that are supposed to have a flat response/eq curve so that models are more accurately represented. I have a few questions.

1: I saw a YouTube video reviewing some product you ran through your cabs and it ran white noise through it until it determined the eq curve of the cab and then basically reversed it so that the eq was neutral. If i wanted to run the Axe Fx through my ENGL cab but still get a neutral eq for accurate modeling could I tell the Axe Fx I'm using an ENGL cab with V60's and it can change the output so when it goes through the cab it neutralizes it and doesn't really paint the sound? Is this an ability?

2: the neutral power amps from these companies are also supposed to be strictly for amplification without painting the sound. This is useful for modeling purposes. But i have a really nice tube amp, it's an ENGL Savage, it's 120 watts and it's cleans are very nice and clear, would this be good enough to get fairly accurate and nice tones out of it? I spent all my money on this nice head and I want to be able to use it still if I got an axe. is there any upsides to doing so with the Axe Fx?

3: I saw a vid of someone adding their chain of stuff to a line 6 pod, they legit just dragged down all the pedals they wanted to use in a line of the chain, looked so easy a gorilla with down syndrome could do it. Does the axe fx also have a similar user face when you plug it into a PC? or is it extremely hard to learn how to use?

4: I hear the term Cab Impulse thrown around with the Axe Fx ii, is that related to my above cab eq questions?

5: anyone have a really good personal experience relating the Axe Fx ii to a real nice tube amp like mine? I'm sort of under the impression that digital can now do things to the sound that add superb amounts of clarity because after all digital signals are technically more accurate. I saw a vid of Misha Mansoor really excited because he was playing his 8 string through an axe fx and was getting fairly clear chords out of his lower strings. Now anyone who has played an 8 string can attest to the fact that if you play chords with the bottom 2/3 strings, whether dropped or standard, they always sound mushy and out of tune. He seemed very happy his were clear. Could I get the best of both worlds (digital clarity from the axe fx accurate digital distortion tones while still retaining the thickness of sound from a really nice tube amp) running it through my ENGL and cab on clean? Or would I wanna still get the amps/cabs made especially for the Axe Fx down the road?

Thanks guys, I know it's a lot of questions. Just try to answer what you can!

Oh one last thing, I heard that in the Axe Fx ii they were able to implement some filtering effects that you just simply couldn't do to the signal in just a tube amp. Possibly where the clarity comes from. This is perhaps the most important question: are these still retained when running through a tube/power amp?
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 25, 2015,
1. No -- your Engl cabinet/speakers have a very limited range, and while you can typify it with an RTA and apply EQ on a third-octave (or so) basis to flatten out some of the more egregious bumps and dips, you'll still color the output and you'll never achieve the range you want.

2. There's no upside to using your Engl power amp section with a modeler other than to save you some money. It will be heavier and less powerful than existing power amps.

3. If I read your version of the english language correctly (Google was no help), the answer is no, it's not quite that easy. You were watching a very experienced user, and there IS a learning curve to *becoming* a very experienced user. The Axe-FX offers a LOT of different options. If you want to use maybe $100 worth of the $2400 unit, it's sorta easy. The rest of the $2300 worth is attained with varying degrees of difficulty.

4. No. Impulse Response has nothing to do with flattening an existing speaker system. It has much more to do with replicating other speaker systems (and amps, for that matter) so that you can reproduce their characteristics.

5. Again, if I understand the question... Getting clarity from lower strings involves a lot of details, but one of them is having enough power (your Engl does not) and speakers capable of reproducing those bottom frequencies (your Engl does not). My system runs off a 1500W 9 lb power amp, and one or more speaker cabinets capable of reproducing frequencies down pretty close to 35Hz (yours might do 110Hz). A speaker reproducing a sound an octave lower needs to move four times the air in order to attain the same volume. So 1500W has nothing to do with producing "loud" but a lot to do with reproducing frequencies at the same volume as the higher ones with the same clarity.

You won't need amps/cabs made especially for the Axe-FX; you will want full range frequency response systems, however. These have existed long before the Axe-FX.