So I got the Guitar Center holiday magazine thing and saw that there was a Jimi Hendrix Strat being sold for $900 with the reversed headstock and I can't find out anything about this guitar it's not on Fender's or guitar center's website and I don't know when it is being sold. Does anyone know anything about this?
They announced some kind of announcement coming 27th of October on their Instagram @fenderguitar, under the tag #alteryouraxis and an upside down pic of Jimi. Expect to hear more then. You probably got your magazine earlier than you should have.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
They announced some kind of announcement coming 27th of October on their Instagram @fenderguitar, under the tag #alteryouraxis and an upside down pic of Jimi. Expect to hear more then. You probably got your magazine earlier than you should have.

Ahh I didn't even think to check there Instagram thanks dude!
this is all over Stratocaster boards. it's real but not all that authentic in terms of being a "hendrix" guitar. neck isn't to spec for that time period and truss rod placement is wrong as well. the bridge pickup is reversed angle though. it comes in white or black with a maple neck and has custom shop 65 pickups in it.

honestly despite being a huge hendrix fan i can't get all that excited about this guitar. it's a MIM with a leftie neck and nice pickups. big deal.
the Jimi Hendrix Strat has just been released.but not one i would pick personally.I am not one that buys a signature guitar I would rather find one and make it my own IMHO
I wouldn't say no to one. It's a nice slightly different Strat that should hold its value well compared to a regular MIM model
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
It has nothing to do with Hendrix, only his money grubbing estate. So I'd pass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

I'm sure it's a nice enough Strat but that "Authentic Hendrix" neckplate means about as much as an election promise.

Reverse headstock Strats in general only interest me if done manually - i.e. take a left-handed neck and put it on a righty guitar. If the writing's the right way up, there's no mojo for me. It's like decals pretending to be relicing (though I know lots of people object to relicing generally). Kind of stupid criteria, I guess, but that's just me

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
The Hendrix guitar has a weird feature or two.

Body route is more like triple humbucker then SSS or swimming pool. This is a big deal because the pickups are right handed and mounted backwards in the Voodoo pickguard; NOT a custom wound left hand set. This changes the orientation of the base-plates and perhaps directions of the winds. Modification would be needed to fit backwards mounted pickups in a standard RH SSS body.

Additionally, the original would have had no RW/RP middle pick up. What does the Hendrix guitar have?

Issues, for me, on the electronics in this "tribute" are unaddressed.

Also, a Nitro body would be preferred. Shaped neck. Maple cap fret-board. Many things will keep me from buying this model.

Any other issues guys? The upside down tremolo bar is the toughest sell for comfort reasons.
Quote by FocusedVision
The Hendrix guitar has a weird feature or two.

Body route is more like triple humbucker then SSS or swimming pool. This is a big deal because the pickups are right handed and mounted backwards in the Voodoo pickguard; NOT a custom wound left hand set. This changes the orientation of the base-plates and perhaps directions of the winds. Modification would be needed to fit backwards mounted pickups in a standard RH SSS body.

Additionally, the original would have had no RW/RP middle pick up. What does the Hendrix guitar have?

Issues, for me, on the electronics in this "tribute" are unaddressed.

Also, a Nitro body would be preferred. Shaped neck. Maple cap fret-board. Many things will keep me from buying this model.

Any other issues guys? The upside down tremolo bar is the toughest sell for comfort reasons.

http://www.fender.com/alter-your-axis
The new model's different. Pickups are rightly the wrong way round, body and trem are wrongly the right way round, headstock is rightly the wrong way round but the logo is wrongly the right way round.

AV65 pickups, which is nice. Boring and wrong 9.5" modern C neck.

I think this is definitely playing towards the lower end of the market.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Nov 2, 2015,
Funny thing - It doesn't even come in a lefty model.

Better thing - take a lefty strat and make it righty - instant Hendrix rig.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
The only negatives people seem to be talking about are that it's not what Jimi played and it's not period correct. I wonder what the reception would've been like if it didn't have his name on it. For $900, it doesn't seem like a ripoff. The price is about the same as the Classic series. And you get American Vintage pickups in it. If it sounds and plays good, I don't think there's anything to complain about. If this was part of Fender's Pawn Shop line, maybe people wouldn't be so negative about it. I personally wouldn't play one but it seems like a pretty interesting guitar.
Quote by JELIFISH19
The only negatives people seem to be talking about are that it's not what Jimi played and it's not period correct. I wonder what the reception would've been like if it didn't have his name on it. For $900, it doesn't seem like a ripoff. The price is about the same as the Classic series. And you get American Vintage pickups in it. If it sounds and plays good, I don't think there's anything to complain about. If this was part of Fender's Pawn Shop line, maybe people wouldn't be so negative about it. I personally wouldn't play one but it seems like a pretty interesting guitar.

$900 for a MIM strat? that is not a good deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm a Strat and Hendrix fan (the two comments are pretty much synonymous I know) but I'm not really feeling this at all.

It is said that you can hear the difference with a r/h strung left (or a l/h strung right) over a standard configuration. Obviously my ears are too old and rocked out to tell but, if that is what you are after this would achieve that objective. But then just buy an opposite hand and string it the other way around (as stated above) ....job done....and a damn sight cheaper.

If you are a r/handed Hendrix tribute player it might suit and at least you could set fire to it at the end of a gig.

The wrong way/right way up logo would annoy the crap out of me and I agree that the neck radius is a joke.

I respect signature guitars if the signatory has had an involvement in specifying the guitar and has influenced/approved its ultimate configuration. Unless Fender has access to a Medium I'm not sure how they got Jimi's take on this particular marketing based sham.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Just makes you wanna go see Jimi's Woodstock guitar in Seattle, WA again and take it all in.

Hendrix's guitar in the Seattle ESP museum was strung backwards alright: the nut was unchanged though and the 2nd, 3rd strings were loose in the old 5, 6 string slots. If it was good enough for the best.... what do we complain about.

K33nbl4d3 - your comment still turns 6 on 9 and rightly freaks me out wrongly. I hope I can get it out of my head. Cheers and rock on.

JELIFISH19 - Pawn shop for this one is a great idea. All we really wanted was the neck on a body we liked with a voodoo pick guard. I actually think the neckplate etching on this one is pretty cool but hardly is that irreplaceable. Wasn't there a pride in not paying off an alleged wrongful Hendrix heir before this for decades, ehhh. Seems like we went back on that.

Again to all I ask; why use reversed right hand pickups in this model. Does this reduce right handed overstock?

Hell with collectability on this one. I ask alot of it, the guitar, because I have been debating a Hendrix build for a long time. As long as the next Hendrix fan picks up the guitar and can play I should probably just focus on practice.

Peace
I went options for the ciggerettsQ
Last edited by FocusedVision at Nov 3, 2015,
So did he just turn a guitar the other way without messing with strings? Or are the strings reversed so it is like playing a regular left hand guitar?
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Quote by tysona23
So did he just turn a guitar the other way without messing with strings? Or are the strings reversed so it is like playing a regular left hand guitar?

yes it's strung as a leftie (ie normal). blues great albert king just turned a rightie guitar upsidown and had the high e string on top instead of the bottom.
I thought the strings were left untouched. I bet he could play it that way, also.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Quote by tysona23
I thought the strings were left untouched. I bet he could play it that way, also.

Certainly there are biographical apocrypha (In all fairness, most of what's written about Hendrix falls into this category) that claim he learned to play with the guitar both ways round as a kid, and I've no reason to question that. But as far as his career goes, any photo or video of Hendrix performing you'll see the bass strings at the top and the treble ones at the bottom. His iconic thumb stuff would probably not have been such a big deal if he had the treble strings up top.

Back to the guitar - I don't object to it particularly in principle, but I think the fact that only a couple cues are taken from Hendrix combined with the price mean it's of limited applicability for someone emulating Hendrix, while its obvious allusions to Hendrix in the design would make it a weird choice for anyone else. As a guitar I'm sure it's fine, it just quite simply seems far from the first choice in most situations. That said, I typed that under the impression that Fender have left-handed Classic Series/Classic Player models, which is apparently not the case. I think I stand by what I said, but I'm less sure now.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by JELIFISH19
The only negatives people seem to be talking about are that it's not what Jimi played and it's not period correct. I wonder what the reception would've been like if it didn't have his name on it. For $900, it doesn't seem like a ripoff.

It's the Hendrix family trying yet again to make a buck off a dead man.
I'll say it again. Get a lefty Strat and flip it - That's your Hendrix model.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
Take a '63-'69 right handed Stratocaster and flip it around. Now that is the Jimi way of doing it by the man himself.

That is the best option but anything else would not be true for a right handed player period.
Quote by Clark Griswold
I'll say it again. Get a lefty Strat and flip it - That's your Hendrix model.

This is true, but bizarrely Fender don't seem to make any lefties in that price bracket.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
This is true, but bizarrely Fender don't seem to make any lefties in that price bracket.

you can buy a leftie MIM.

selling leftie guitars to flip is't really a marketable idea. for the vast majority of players an upside down guitar just isn't comfortable or desirable. being a leftie i can tell you from experience that it sucks. after a year and a half of playing flipped guitars (in 70s leftie guitars were rare hard to find) i said fuck it and started from scratch learning to play rightie. flipped strat body has terrible fret access so again many don't want that (jimi had some long ass fingers). so we get this guitar instead. they could have done a better job but it is what it is.
Quote by monwobobbo
you can buy a leftie MIM.

Yeah, I was thinking Classic Series/Classic Player type stuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
I just put one on my shelf yesterday, got the full explanation on it from a guy from the Corona factory. What do you want to know?

Quote by Robbgnarly

Be on the lookout for a new one coming out. It's called the Fender 70's Custom Shop Stratocaster. Made by masterbuilders in limited amounts. It's super odd they call it 70's, because it's actually made, to-spec, as a 1968 Strat.

Got my hands on one for about 20 minutes, absolutely killer guitar. They named it 70's because of a recent up-tick in the sales of the used ones, so they're trying to capitalize on the association.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 5, 2015,