Now I was wondering... If I get an Axe Fx ii and use it with my power amp and cab, can I use it to block out amp hum like I can with my ISP Decimator G-String?

Also if im not going for any specific sound with the models per say, just something that sounds good, would it really be bad to leave my amp on clean with neutral EQ instead of going straight into the power stage through the loop with the Axe? If lets say I have a really nice distiortion tone from the axe with super nice clarity and I run it through my ENGL on clean (it has wonderful cleans) would it lose that accuracy/clarity of the digital signal or would it just sound colored?

Also, would I in general wanna run my Axe through the fx loop or in front of the amp? Could I still somehow cancel amp him if I run it before?

Here's the important one, does the axe fx have a way to run it before the amp but still also connect it into the effects loop for certain effects like the gate canceling the hum?

Thanks!
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 26, 2015,
Quote by Knight Elijah
Now I was wondering... If I get an Axe Fx ii and use it with my power amp and cab, can I use it to block out amp hum like I can with my ISP Decimator G-String?
It wouldn't work the same since you wouldn't be using your amp's pre, tho yes, you can use noise gates within it.
Quote by Knight Elijah
Also if im not going for any specific sound with the models per say, just something that sounds good, would it really be bad to leave my amp on clean with neutral EQ instead of going straight into the power stage through the loop with the Axe?
It most likely wouldn't sound like a guitar amp you hear everyday, tho it would not be "bad".
It would just sound funny.
If that sounds good to you by any means do it.
Quote by Knight Elijah
If lets say I have a really nice distiortion tone from the axe with super nice clarity and I run it through my ENGL on clean (it has wonderful cleans) would it lose that accuracy/clarity of the digital signal or would it just sound colored?
I don't see the difference between loosing accuracy and sounding colored.

It wouldn't sound as accurate as if you ran it through the fx return, and I wouldn't see why you would run it into the amp's input rather than the fx return.
Quote by Knight Elijah
Also, would I in general wanna run my Axe through the fx loop or in front of the amp? Could I still somehow cancel amp him if I run it before?
The hum from the amp is caused by the pre for the most part, and running the axe through the fx loop would bypass the pre.
So even tho the reason wouldn't be the one you pointed out, you would get less noise.
Quote by Knight Elijah
Here's the important one, does the axe fx have a way to run it before the amp but still also connect it into the effects loop for certain effects like the gate canceling the hum?
Yes, you could use the 4 cable method, but it wouldn't really make sense with an axe.

Judging by this and your other thread it seems that you like the idea of getting an axe but you don't really have a clue what to do with it, so I suggest finding a valid reason why to get it before dropping so much money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ah thanks, that helps

Quote by Spambot_2
Judging by this and your other thread it seems that you like the idea of getting an axe but you don't really have a clue what to do with it, so I suggest finding a valid reason why to get it before dropping so much money.

Also I do know what to do with it, but I haven't ever gotten to use one so I wouldn't be able to know the answers to some of these questions. Mainly I could use it to replace my entire pedalboard so it's more reliable. Then I also could get any pedal I wanted with it, without having to spend money on real ones. Then I could essentially bring all my pedals with me anywhere in a tiny box. I am researching whether most people like FRFR better than through a power amp/cab and it seems very mixed. I would like to get one now so that I can get familiar with it and I have a feeling that eventually it will probably solve a whole lot of problems that may arise in the future.

Mostly, the point is that I want to have my own sound and I don't care if a model of some amp made in 1979 doesn't sound EXACTLY like it because I'm not using 100% FRFR. I just want to because to make my own sound, and that will probably end up being mixture of diff things, because I see a lot of people happy with the Axe Fx tones combined with other things.

I was reading the other day that for example Synyster Gates (kill me for mentioning him I know, but he has super nice and clear distortion) uses the Axe Fx ii in combination with his signature Hellwin Amps to get some warm/smooth/whatever words he used undertones and great effects. That's essentially what I'm looking at it for, as I'd like to give the amp I have (that is very nice) a little more variability.
Maybe if you connect in the amp front, drop the cab simulation, although it would beat my why you spent all that money for the emulation in the first place?

You don't have to go Axe, you can try some of the cheaper options and see if you like it. Jennifer Batten of Michael Jackson fame did a tour with Jeff Beck and she used a Boss GT-10. Did you read anywhere that she sounded bad? There's the GT-100 and the POD HD500X which are around $500, try these out, I think your local GC should have them.

I gigged with a switchable preamp (Sansamp PSA-1) through tube power amp (Peavey Classic 50/50) and a Boss GT-10 in 4 cable method doing also midi to control my switching. Super reliable and whole setup cost half of what a Axe Fx does.
Quote by diabolical
Maybe if you connect in the amp front, drop the cab simulation, although it would beat my why you spent all that money for the emulation in the first place?

You don't have to go Axe, you can try some of the cheaper options and see if you like it. Jennifer Batten of Michael Jackson fame did a tour with Jeff Beck and she used a Boss GT-10. Did you read anywhere that she sounded bad? There's the GT-100 and the POD HD500X which are around $500, try these out, I think your local GC should have them.

I gigged with a switchable preamp (Sansamp PSA-1) through tube power amp (Peavey Classic 50/50) and a Boss GT-10 in 4 cable method doing also midi to control my switching. Super reliable and whole setup cost half of what a Axe Fx does.

I did look at those, but the POD has had some complaints, especially about switching different tones and effects and how the volumes can't be made to be constant sometimes, and the Axe Fx ii seems like it's a step above. The POD was apparently slightly better than the boss one from what I've heard (I could be wrong)

Also don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be against using a direct out and just using the Axe Fx ii with amp and cab sims, I'd just like to try it with my setup now first so see what it can add, and then see if I can get the same tones purely with the axe. You know, sort of see what it can replace. Honestly with shows when we have a small amount of time to set up, it would be nice to just have one board with all the effects I'd ever need and if j need it or if something goes wrong to just direct out and not even have an amp

I feel like I am replacing things and equipment so fast now if I get this I can finally not have to worry about pedals failing or power supplies not being right and pedal options not being enough, and I would definitely also use it to record.
If you only care about replacing your pedalboard and you want to keep using your amp you may wanna look into the fractal FX8.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Knight Elijah
I did look at those, but the POD has had some complaints, especially about switching different tones and effects and how the volumes can't be made to be constant sometimes, and the Axe Fx ii seems like it's a step above.

Re: Pod. Volumes CAN be made to be consistent. And the Axe does the same thing. The Axe is certainly more expensive (though the LIne 6 Helix is creeping that direction), but the real question (as with most boutique items) is whether you need the refinements that the Axe offers for the price paid.

You really do NOT want to go by Internet Wisdom on this one. It may be difficult to try several modelers one against the other, but you should attempt to do that before you toss money in one direction or the other.
Have you looked at Kemper? Usually Axe vs Kemper seems to be the big debate.
Looking at how prices drop on these in a year or two, I wouldn't touch these in a long time.
You can pretty much buy an used Marshall now and sell pretty much for the same price or profit, while the Axe and Kemper go down in price like computers.
Quote by diabolical
Have you looked at Kemper? Usually Axe vs Kemper seems to be the big debate.
Looking at how prices drop on these in a year or two, I wouldn't touch these in a long time.
You can pretty much buy an used Marshall now and sell pretty much for the same price or profit, while the Axe and Kemper go down in price like computers.

Kemper has been pretty quiet of late.

I think we're looking at a LOT of this kind of gear changing about every two years when the DSP technology gets a bump in speed. Given the eventual gap between new and used prices, it's going to be tough for the various players to show enough change from old to new to justify upgrading. In short, the builders' own older gear may end up being their toughest competition.