Page 1 of 2
Mystifying...I can't play properly because I keep turning the volume down accidentally as it's literally right on top of the bridge pick up...I've been looking for some models that don't have it but they literally all have!

Literally in the pick guard

I want the volume and tone knobs BEHIND the bridge
I don't want a pick up switch right where I am strumming

It's fucking mind boggling that no one can offer this I am going to have to put EMGS in a les paul jnr because no one else does minimalism.
Last edited by MyOceanToSwim at Oct 26, 2015,
Stop strumming over the bridge pickup, that's bad technique. We had this discussion in EG about Strats. A LOT of people like that it is close so that adjustments can be made on the fly while playing.

If you don't like it, you're entitled to that opinion, but understand you are in the minority. I have always played Strat-styled guitars and can't stand having to stop what I'm playing on my SG just to tweak the volume.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If I can play by the saddles on an ashtray Telecaster bridge you can cope with a volume knob there. Aren't metal players supposed to have precision?

a) Learn to strum without hitting the volume knob like a numpty.
b) Strumming by the bridge as standard is stupid; in the situations where it makes sense you should definitely be able to manage it without being so sloppy.
c) Nearly anyone playing on anything approaching a professional level is using that knob a lot, and needs it in a useful position.

You're right that buying Kirk Hammett's signature guitar would be a pretty stupid decision though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
ESP? Fender has been doing this since 1957 and no one is complaining about that!
Work on your technique.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I'm going to try to set up an internet feedback loop to open a portal in time. That way I can stop Leo (and others) from making this turribad mistake:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1689350&page=1&pp=20
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 26, 2015,
Quote by ryanbwags
ESP? Fender has been doing this since 1957 and no one is complaining about that!
Work on your technique.

1954, actually, but yeah, as linked above someone just did.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
Mystifying...I can't play properly because I keep turning the volume down accidentally

Correction: if that's happening, you AREN'T playing properly. Develop better right hand technique, and learn to control where your hand goes. The reason that so many guitars have that kind of knob placement, and have used it for so long, is that the vast majority of players don't have a problem with it, and many actually PREFER it that way, for the ability to easily reach the knob with the pinky while playing.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
I've been creeping UG forums for like 10 years... And I've just created an account, cause this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

I too used to have this problem. I started playing guitar on an Epiphone Les Paul, cause I liked the way they looked. But after a year or so, I realized a super strat style would suit me better cause I was really into EVH, Alexi Laiho, shredder kinda dudes.

But I couldn't play any of those guitars, cause of the volume knob placement. I learned to play on a Les Paul, and I think that made me play with my picking hand open, because all the knobs are way down the body on them. I ended up just sticking with Les Pauls.

I've since gotten over it, because a few years ago I ditched the Les Pauls for a Strat and a Tele, and I just learned to play around the knob.

He is NOT picking wrong, look at the way slash, randy rhoads, or any other Les Paul guy plays. They generally have their picking hand open, in such a way that if they were playing a Strat, they would bump the volume knob. When you play hard rock/metal, with all the palm muting you would do, you generally DO pick with your hand right by the bridge. I only stopped doing that cause I play blues, funk, and folk on Fenders now, and I rarely palm mute, so I play up closer to the neck pickup and do all my string muting with my left hand ala SRV, John Mayer, Frusciante.

So to the original poster, I would suggest that you pick with your fingers lifted OVER the volume knob. You can still play with your hand open, but you shouldn't hit the volume knob anymore. Thats what I do any time I'm playing a punk song or whatever, and have to pick closer to the bridge. OR learn to pick with your hand closed, like James Hetfield.
Last edited by clifford08 at Oct 26, 2015,
please dont buy a guitar with skulls on the fretboard.

please
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
Quote by clifford08

So to the original poster, I would suggest that you pick with your fingers lifted OVER the volume knob. You can still play with your hand open, but you shouldn't hit the volume knob anymore. Thats what I do any time I'm playing a punk song or whatever, and have to pick closer to the bridge. OR learn to pick with your hand closed, like James Hetfield.

It's strumming he has issues with. Not picking
OP, hopefully you don't have thin skin, you were begging to get flamed by all the very helpful denizens of this fine community. They are, to a degree right, that you should work on your technique, but only for the purpose of being able to play on a guitar with the knobs in that thoughtful position.

I played mostly on ML style guitars (and an SG) for most of my early guitar days, and thus ended up with quite a wild right hand. When a Jackson fell into my possession, I had a hard time with the volume knob for a while, but I learned a more "controlled" way of playing (which is totally less fun, btw), and I usually don't have an issue anymore when playing those types of guitars...usually.

It did however, make me think about knob placement when I decided to design and make my own guitar(s), and while I don't expect you to buy one for the knob placement because you saw me post in a thread, I couldn't resist chiming in and sympathizing with you, as I have had the same problem, and took a rather large step to fix it!

Here's a pic:

http://i.imgur.com/lDR5f0o.jpg

When designing bodies, one of my priorities is to keep the closest knob under the bridge laterally, if at all possible, if not, behind it laterally. I've found it a good compromise between being too close and in the way, and too far for "convenience". -although I don't understand why if all these "pros" are so good, they can't just learn to "improve their technique" and move their hand faster!-

Anyway, I don't believe we should all be playing exactly the same, and if your wild right hand doesn't cause you to mess up, why try to change it?
Quote by RestinPeaceDime
-although I don't understand why if all these "pros" are so good, they can't just learn to "improve their technique" and move their hand faster!-

Don't confuse skill with speed, they are two very different things.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Don't confuse skill with speed, they are two very different things.

Fairly certain that was a joke, lol..
Quote by IaraYael
Fairly certain that was a joke, lol..

Perhaps, but it didn't appear that way to me. It looked like a mild dig at the folks suggesting that perhaps the TS's technique could use improvement and the "pros" in quotes pretty clearly implied that they weren't, and thus perhaps they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

If that's a joke, it's a poorly delivered one.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Perhaps, but it didn't appear that way to me. It looked like a mild dig at the folks suggesting that perhaps the TS's technique could use improvement and the "pros" in quotes pretty clearly implied that they weren't, and thus perhaps they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about.

If that's a joke, it's a poorly delivered one.

Hmm...Well I'd say it was a bit of both, but as you are not on my side of the argument, of course you don't find it funny. It wasn't really meant for you. If you took my full post into its context, you'd see I also encouraged the OP to tighten his technique, just in a *hopefully* positive way, instead of a critical and jerk-ish way as most of the posters here have done. I try to post when I have something helpful to add to the conversation, not just to attack people, which is why I'm trying to make light of both sides of this.

As Cliff pointed out, there are plenty of famous, dare I say pro guitarists (see, no quotes this time!) that have differing styles that, if they hadn't had such success, their techniques would be considered dreadful. Marty Friedman, and to a lesser extent, Darrell Abbott come to mind - Abbott having managed to play on a guitar whose knob is quite far from the bridge, yet still made it work just fine.

My point was simply to sympathize with the OP, so he knows plenty of people have had his problem, and represent the "other side" of this coin. Some may prefer to have the knob as close as possible, others find it a liability. A pretty simple concept, I just don't attack those who like it a different way than me. The "joke" was a way of saying: from my perspective, I could consider anybody who cant get to a volume knob in time because it's 1 inch further away than they're used to shouldn't be able to say they're "anything approaching a professional level" without being super hostile and aggressive, as I understand they see the inability to keep your hand away from the knob until needed as a lack of skill - just different perspectives.

If that offends you (or K33n), then I really am sorry....I'm intending to be rather playful, while still trying to make my point logically. I understand those who don't agree probably don't see much logic in my posts, of course.

Anyway, OP, I hope you find a guitar you like with knobs where you like (some have posted a few alternatives). To those who want it under the pickup, rejoice!

- also, should I be saying "TS" now? I can't keep up -
Replace the volume pot with one that’s hard to turn—they exist. There’s probably somebody at The Gear Page who can tell you which pots are stiff like that.
I don't get the whole dig on op's techniques. Its not like every guitar is the exact same and everyone is suppose to play the exact same way. I love LPs and Strats, but I don't get along with either because of the placement of the toggle on the LP, and the bulky clumsiness, and the volume knob on a Strat. Perhaps if they were the only type of guitars to be had I would and should alter how I play, but they're not, so I won't because I don't have to play an LP or a Strat.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I don't get the whole dig on op's techniques. Its not like every guitar is the exact same and everyone is suppose to play the exact same way. I love LPs and Strats, but I don't get along with either because of the placement of the toggle on the LP, and the bulky clumsiness, and the volume knob on a Strat. Perhaps if they were the only type of guitars to be had I would and should alter how I play, but they're not, so I won't because I don't have to play an LP or a Strat.

Yea you're right, not every guitar is the exact same, but a sloppy/poor technique is just that... a sloppy technique and can be a hindrance regardless of knob placement.
Quote by lucky1978

Hey, I'm not exactly the shining of great technique (in the last couple of years I more or less had to reteach myself how to play because of so many flaws in my playing, it was atrocious) but I think that their is a control issue if you can't keep from hitting the volume knob. It's one thing if you just want to bash the shit out of the guitar punk-style, but you SHOULD be able to strum without hitting the volume knob.

TS (and everyone) has every right to not buy a guitar for the knob placement, that's fair. Claiming that knob placement is a huge design flaw is not fair to the guitar at all though.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
this thread is sooooooo stupid. user ******ation.

according to darwin, adapt or die. i clearly think OP would be dead.

if you have that much of a problem, buy a different guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by MyOceanToSwim

i'm not aware of any guitar that has that.

but dspellman will probably post a pic of the 5 vintage ones he has.

what? i found one!

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You could always remove the front volume pot and rewire the center to be a master volume the hole can be plugged with a small plastic plug that can be found in the plumbing section of most hardware stores.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

^ That's actually quite an elegant solution.

Still though, if the volume knob gets in the way of your playing, there's a good chance that your right hand technique is too sloppy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by MyOceanToSwim

Here you go, the Kent 834:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHld4fHTL4&sns=em

I think most Rickenbackers are like that.
http://www.rickenbacker.com

The PAF series Crimsons:
http://crimsonguitars.com

Veilettes
http://veilletteguitars.com

Classic semihollows like this Heritage H535:
http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/h535almsb_specs.html

There's a pattern developing- it's a control arrangement on certain old guitars and modern luthier guitars, but not a lot of mainstream "shredder" axes.

As noted, this is probably because a lot of modern players want to do volume swells.

Heck, even the oldsters wanted this. There's a reason the Bill Kirchen tele modification exists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 27, 2015,

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^ That's actually quite an elegant solution.

Still though, if the volume knob gets in the way of your playing, there's a good chance that your right hand technique is too sloppy.

I don't get how people come to strum around the bridge pickup. The actual bridge must be REALLY far back for that to even start happening if you're compensating for palm muting or something. Then there's the fact that the strings just resist the pick way too much at the tightness of that area.
I don't often strum near the bridge, but there are techniques I do use in that area. For instance, rubbing the pick edge up & down the lower strings there can give you a pulsing "bowed" tone.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't often strum near the bridge, but there are techniques I do use in that area. For instance, rubbing the pick edge up & down the lower strings there can give you a pulsing "bowed" tone.

Yeah, there's techniques to use there. Just not full on strumming imo :P
Quote by MyOceanToSwim
Mystifying...I can't play properly because I keep turning the volume down accidentally as it's literally right on top of the bridge pick up...I've been looking for some models that don't have it but they literally all have!

Literally in the pick guard

I don't want a pick up switch right where I am strumming

It's fucking mind boggling that no one can offer this I am going to have to put EMGS in a les paul jnr because no one else does minimalism.

The guys at ESP do it just to screw with you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The guys at ESP do it just to screw with you

I was going to post this (or a derivative thereof) and chose not to.

I am now disappointed in myself...

Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I was going to post this (or a derivative thereof) and chose not to.

I am now disappointed in myself...

Its OK Arby, it can be our post
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thinking I might buy a custom guitar. SOMETHING like this but with the volume switch moved behind the bridge

Quote by MyOceanToSwim
Thinking I might buy a custom guitar. SOMETHING like this but with the volume switch moved behind the bridge

if you want an ESP, it will start at @$4000 and go up depending on your options you want.

Easiest thing is to learn to control your strumming hand, because that is your issue easiest fixed right now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
if you are having that big of a problem, its just flat out incompetency.

again social Darwinism, adapt or die.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2