I'm interested in any bad habits that people have in their playing and also any advice on getting rid of them. To clarify - when I say bad habits I don't mean sloppy technique; I mean something you do that is the right technique but perhaps used too much or in the wrong context.

For me my worst habit is when I play an open D chord I nearly always play a little riff by hammering on/pulling off on the high e string so I actually play D, Dsus4, D. It's something that I thought sounded cool at first but when I listen back to recordings I can hear that I over use it and in many cases I didn't even realise I was doing it.

I had a similar problem with the over use of pinch harmonics but I've managed to stop doing that. For some reason I can't seem to stop the 'D chord thing'
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
I play too much blues.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Improvising too much in E minor. It's such a comfortable thing for me to do, but I do it too much. I just love E minor way too much.. I'm slowly breaking that habit though. I try to force myself to improvise in different ways as much as I can.
Also whenever I pick up an acoustic the first thing I always do is play Nothing Else Matters
I also always do the same rasgueado strumming pattern whenever I'm improvising on acoustic.
Last edited by vayne92 at Oct 26, 2015,
I currently don't have too many 'bad' habits. I have a few friends that either stick to a certain strumming pattern, or can't keep a beat. It annoys the heck out of me since I'm also a drummer. I'd say that for me, my one bad habit is not playing enough Three Days Grace songs. jk. As for the open chords, it sounds cool live, not recorded is my guess. Try to control it ;P
Planting! For lead stuff I should clarify.

Not practicing slow enough

Using way too thick picks (3mm stubbies, the bastards)

Trying to tap everything

Palm muting my sweeping (wtf)
Quote by Tony Done
Messing about too much with sounds and not worrying enough about notes. I spent over an hour yesterday mucking about with OD options. All very interesting, but it doesn't make me play any better.

I have a POD and I know that feel.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Tony Done
Messing about too much with sounds and not worrying enough about notes. I spent over an hour yesterday mucking about with OD options. All very interesting, but it doesn't make me play any better.

Same here. When I start messing up with my amp or amp sims, I forget that a couple of minutes ago I would tell constantly to myself: "I didn't had much free time lately, so today I'll focus for real on my practice session". Fortunately I'm starting to overcome it

Also, sometimes I do legato instead of picking in solos where I'm supposed to pick, but fortunately it hasn't been happening too much lately. Depends on how lazy I'm feeling I guess.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 26, 2015,
^^^^ I've had several different digital multiFX, and decided to give them up because of the distraction problem. I also keep my pedal collection fairly small for the same reason. Now all I have to do is get rid of half a dozen electric guitars, and I'll be more or less right.
Quote by Tony Done

improving your tone isn't a bad thing as long as you don't get to silly with it. i spend time like that every so often and consider it time well spent getting to know the ins and outs of my gear. any time i get a new amp or pedal i'll take some time to really find the sweet spots. in the end sounding good makes me want to play more so it doesw help my playing in the long run.
My biggest bad habit is overplaying and trying to fill holes that don't need to be filled. Whenever I record a live gig I am ashamed of myself for not keeping my playing simple and giving the song a chance to breath and have better dynamics. Paraphrasing that line from Jurassic Park, I'm thinking too much about how to do it and not enough about whether I should. I find my best playing happens when I just relax and keep it very simple. It's a constant struggle to remind myself.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
My biggest bad habit is overplaying and trying to fill holes that don't need to be filled. Whenever I record a live gig I am ashamed of myself for not keeping my playing simple and giving the song a chance to breath and have better dynamics. Paraphrasing that line from Jurassic Park, I'm thinking too much about how to do it and not enough about whether I should. I find my best playing happens when I just relax and keep it very simple. It's a constant struggle to remind myself.

I once wrote a song that had a generic chord progression (G, D, Am, C) so to try and make it interesting I added little fills here and there. Within a a few hours this had morphed into playing a fill before every chord change and in the end I basically took all the chords out so it was just a series of scales and licks. Not a bad warm-up exercise but a horrible song! LOL
Vibrato on every single bloody note I play. (Tony Iomi would be jealous) That and using hammer ons and pull offs out of sheer laziness to the point where my plectrum gets lonely.
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Oct 28, 2015,
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
Vibrato on every single bloody note I play. (Tonny Iomi would be jealous) That and using hammer ons and pull offs out of sheer laziness to the point where my plectrum gets lonely.

Glad I'm not the only one
Quote by DanyFS
Glad I'm not the only one

Seriously when I read tabs it gets to the point where I just see h's and p's between every number.
I would personally classify using legato instead of alternate picking as sloppy technique and I think we're all guilty of that at times!

So we all do things we know we shouldn't - the question is how do we stop doing it when it has become so ingrained into our playing?
I think guitarists can become guitarists of their own through habits. Possibly a mushy viewpoint but hey, if everyone aimed to do things the same way we'd all be the same.
My bad habit is probably that I over-think most things guitar related and then spend alot of time thinking about that stuff instead of focusing on the acutually getting better/playing.

Although my worst habit is probably that I speed up w/e song or excersice I've learned too quickly resulting in sloppy playing.. Trying to break that habit but it's demanding, especially when I haven't gottenn the hang of using the metronome for w/e..
Quote by Tony Done

What do you mean by OD Tony?

My worst habit is mentally masturbating with my guitars. I pick them up and play the same things over and over. It's automatic now to play some of those songs, but I feel I'm not progressing as much as I should. The next step for me, as a player, is learning to switch smoothly between barre chords, but I keep dicking around with the easy stuff I already know. Doesn't motivate me much when I see my favorite players (Fahey, Doc Watson, etc) never using barre chords though.
Quote by TobusRex
What do you mean by OD Tony?

My worst habit is mentally masturbating with my guitars. I pick them up and play the same things over and over. It's automatic now to play some of those songs, but I feel I'm not progressing as much as I should. The next step for me, as a player, is learning to switch smoothly between barre chords, but I keep dicking around with the easy stuff I already know. Doesn't motivate me much when I see my favorite players (Fahey, Doc Watson, etc) never using barre chords though.

My guitar teacher had my convert all the chords in the songs I was playing into barre chords. A bit different sound but it helped alot.
For me, as I don't play the guitar yet it just covers the Ukulele and Mandolin. I cheat and use the open strings in stead of doing the fingering for certain notes as I find them difficult. I don't play the scales as much as I should even considering I'm a beginner. I try to speed ahead too quickly, but I try and over come this by going back over things. Oh the list is endless.
More of a physical thing, but I tend to tense up too much. Too much pressure on the frets and too tighter grip on the pick. Trying get over it now.
Guitarist/singer/songwriter/producer from Melbourne, Australia.

Check out my blog on everything music at www.lockyberesford.com
To get rid of the bad habit similar to the one OP posted (D chord thing), try to practice by playing the lick you hear in your head. Try to come out with cool stuff in your head first, then play it on your guitar. Not just the notes, but also the phrasing, articulation, the details in your playing, in your head. That way it will helps you play what you want to express through guitar, not just what your finger tend to do(though it is not necessarily bad, but don't let it limit your playing).

Best Regard

Bobby