Hey guys just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on going on tour? My band has the possibility of going but we wanna make sure we have all our bases covered before making the commitment.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Bring at least one pair of clean underpants.

Screw that just go commando.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Why would you think they were for wearing?

I had no idea The Blode was in a touring band...
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
First off make sure you have copies of all the contracts for the places you are playing and make sure you know how the method of payment is listed in the contract. This is an extremely important thing because some payments go back directly to the agent or agency that booked you and you probably won't see that money till you are back home. Make sure someone with experience is handling your hotel bookings, vehicle needs and overall financial needs. Do not leave it up to someone in the band or someone's girlfriend or best friend who has no experience dealing with this stuff.

Once you have the contracts I suggest you call the places you are heading for a week or two ahead of your appearance and make sure you are expected and that the place still exists. I have driven hundreds of miles only to find the place we were contracted to play closed two weeks ago and the owner ran off leaving a ton of unpaid bills. Now we are stuck for a week in the middle of nowhere with no money coming in to pay that night's hotel bill or feed anyone.

From my experience I can only say that it's important to know that going on the road is not easy. It's not a party, it's hard work. You have to stay healthy, stay focused and deal with life on the road in a professional manner. Any problems you have now (personal problems with band members, equipment issues, financial problems, etc.) will be amplified by 100% on the road. Fix them ahead of time or stay home.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 26, 2015,
Quote by Guitar0player
I had no idea The Blode was in a touring band...

Slapsy secretly Blode illuminateh confrimed
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Slapsy secretly Blode illuminateh confrimed

Uhm.... I'm not sure... where you'd.... get that from... It's nothing I ever mentioned in a letter to Jim Root... uh feet... yea.
Do you own a van?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
It's not so much whether the opportunity has presented itself, it's more about whether your band is ready musically, physically, financially and mentally to do it. It can't just be a matter of "teen dreams".
Quote by ty.little36
Hey guys just wondering if anybody could give me some advice on going on tour? My band has the possibility of going but we wanna make sure we have all our bases covered before making the commitment.

Have enough available cash to cover all your expenses even if you never see a dime from performance fees.

Book all your dates in advance and get the details in writing.

Have an exit agreement in writing in case things go south.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Have enough available cash to cover all your expenses even if you never see a dime from performance fees.

Pay close attention to the bolded above.

To know how much you need, sit down and plan the tour, figuring in every meal, fuel costs, lodging and every other incidental you can think of. Be honest.

Then double it.

Then hide 10% more that no-one else knows about.

You'll still probably be short, but you won't be as short...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Don’t become one of those bands that gets their gear stolen and has to beg for money on GoFundMe to replace it. Never leave your gear alone. And insure all of the gear you are taking with you. Don’t just get cheap internet insurance—talk to managers and other bands to make sure you’re buying a good policy from a good company. If you can’t afford insurance than maybe it isn’t a good idea to tour anyway.

Read this, too: https://reverb.com/blog/8-tips-to-avoid-music-gear-theft
Drill a hole through your guitar and handcuff yourself to it, and weld the handcuffs shut.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Cajundaddy

yup. make sure you have your route between shows firmly planned as getting lost sucks. be prepared to be treated like crap by other bands. keep it humble you don't want to get a rep for being a jerk band (let the music do the talking). keep your gear down to the essentials and have a backup plan. until you get the tractor trailer truck to haul the gear and roadies to set it up then having a ton of gear makes no sense. the weather channel is your friend.
I recommend the Rick Steves tour books. He has good info showing popular places, lo-key places, lots of places to eat for varying prices, etc. Also be sure to check out the A to Z road atlases. We have GPS's and stuff but using the road maps are cool and retro. Some tour sites have guides, but quite a few don't really need them. Ultimately it's up to you but I find that tours are better enjoyed uninterrupted.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Thanks to everyone that took the question seriously. I really appreciate the advice.
...Do you have a van?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

bring free shit to give to fans. having a small fanbase in another city is great if you ever want to go back. Everyone loves free shit, even if it's just business cards with a free download
A lot of good advice has been given already but I'll add my two cents worth of advice.
It's something that I learned from my own personal experience of being on tour, which you can add to the proverbial pot before stirring to taste.

Make sure that your band's vehicle is in proper working order BEFORE going out on the road.

The last thing that you want to happen is for your vehicle to suffer a major breakdown, especially out in the middle of Butt-Fuck-Egypt Nowhereville. All the other i's can be dotted and t's can be crossed but if you miss this one point of contention it could bring your band's tour to a screeching halt before you can even get started. For all you know you could wind up in a scenario similar to some of the nastier scenes from the movie "Deliverance." Something like squealing like a pig for the sexual amusement of a deviant backwoods mutant.

You don't want to wind up being like this guy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRxUbv90lLI

A situation like the one in the video above can be a real pain in your ass...uhm...literally.
Last edited by davidyanity at Oct 27, 2015,
There is a lot of good advice here especially the one about finances. Make sure you have everything covered financially before you leave including all hotels, meals, gas and lots of incidentals. I don't mean to be negative because touring can potentially make a good band great but expect the worst and be prepared for it. Lots of extra strings, drum sticks, picks etc. If the band is struggling financially or personally take my advice and stay home till things are 100% taken care of. Like Cajundaddy mentioned do it with the idea that you won't make any profit at all and expect to cover everything yourself.

Make sure you have those signed contracts in your possession and you have read them. I drove with a band from New York to Denver, CO for a two weeks gig at a big club. We arrived at 6:00 PM for our first night and were told we had violated our contract because it said we had to arrive the day of the first performance at 1:00 pm to do a sound check and meet with the stage crew and lighting tech. When we didn't arrive at 1:00 we were replaced by a local band. Our agent did not provide us with copies of all of the contracts, just a list of dates and places. Since our contract also included hotel space we had no place to stay, no money, and one of our vans needed new tires and a wheel alignment from the trip out there. It was a nightmare, all because we didn't have those contracts with us.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 27, 2015,
Can you sleep in it?
Quote by ZanasCross