Hey there UG-ers it's been awhile,

Always been a fan of metal, but I have found that I often turn to the same bands for my fix. I was hoping someone could provide some insight into some bands I haven't tapped yet. Love almost every genre from Hardcore to Power to Progressive. Below is a list of my "go-to" bands to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Protest the Hero
Mastodon
Metallica
Megadeth
The Human Abstract (RIP)
Between the Buried and Me
Opeth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Periphery
Meshuggah (some)

I get a lot of suggestions for Dillinger Escape Plan, Dream Theater, and Animals as Leaders, and while I respect them I can't really get into them.

I have pretty diverse taste and LOVE what I listen to, it's just that I can only listen to Colors so many times
Seeing that you listed Colors by BTBAM as a favourite, have you checked out Autotheism by The Faceless? If you dig that, try Necrophagist and Spawn of Possession as well. Also if you want some more djent-y type bands along the lines of Periphery I'd go with Veil of Maya's id album
Last edited by supertom1 at Oct 27, 2015,
Enslaved (last 5 albums --- but check out their earlier stuff too)
Agalloch

And if you like those, I can list about 100 more bands to try, but they'll be a bit more "black metalish" if you will.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 27, 2015,
Just started Autotheism. It has similar, almost cinematic qualities as Colors so far. I dig.

Heard good things about Veil of Maya. I'll check them out next!
I'll share some 'fast' and some 'slow'.

Serious Beak - prog/math metal. Shorter songs, intricate. rawer, thinner sound than a lot of their contemporaries.
Unexpect - "avant-garde metal". What happens when one mixes Zeuhl with extreme metal
Shining - jazz metal. Allegedly. Really, they're very noisy prog/industrial metal.
Orgone - tech death, only without entirely needless wank
Ulcerate - tech death but due to odd time signatures, awkward phrasing and awesome drumming. also often droning.
Toxic Holocaust - crossover thrash. v=moJehH0IVy8
Boris - stoner doom/sludge. very diverse a band. "boris" is drone doom, noise, post rock, and "BORIS" is pop, stoner rock etc.

Celeste - hardcore/sludge with black metal elements. Extremely dense production.

Swans (only this album) - no-wave, sludge, noise rock. it's not so much a question of whether you'll get a headache so much as when you'll get one.

Khanate - extreme doom metal, drone doom, sludge - the result of a troubled childhood. Lots of repetition, lots of feedback, and some of the best vocal deliveries in the industry.

Naked City - "jazzcore". One of the progenitors of the subgenre.
KEN Mode - mathcore/sludge
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 27, 2015,
Quote by jimmyslashpage
Just started Autotheism. It has similar, almost cinematic qualities as Colors so far. I dig.

Heard good things about Veil of Maya. I'll check them out next!

Glad you like it man
Quote by KailM
Enslaved (last 5 albums --- but check out their earlier stuff too)

+1, especially the last two and Vertebrae
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Falkenbach, Graveland, Bolt Thrower, Demilich, Skepticism, Thergothon, Watchtower, Ayreon, Borknagar, Benediction, Suffocation, Sodom, Kvist, Iron Monkey, etc. Thousands and thousands of diverse bands out their to check out.

Check the stickied Rec Thread for starting points.

Quote by jimmyslashpage
I have pretty diverse taste

nah
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Feel free to dismiss the first suggestion if you didn't mention them in the go-to list but have given them a listen and just didn't feel it.

Black Sabbath. So god damn influential. Their first few albums is the more doomy stuff, then they get a little more energetic (but still dark) because of all the cocaine probably. Then Dio happened. But then again if you like Judas Priest you'll like the Dio era.

Try out mongol horde. They're relatively obscure and have just one album, but I guess that means you don't have too much to check of them. They lean into punk territory everynow and then but i'm talking about the cool raw kind, not so much the cheesy punk rock kind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dWGb06WOLBc
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Oct 27, 2015,
SikTh
Fall of Troy
Monuments
Skyharbor
Press to MECO
Royal Thunder
Tesseract
Black Peaks

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Timeghoul
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.