Page 1 of 2
hey guys i really need some help,i have a six strings electric guitar,when i first bought it the strings we're easy to play,and when i changed the strings (ps:i guess it's not because of the string gauge because i'm using custom light 0.9-0.46) they became really stiff for picking but i'm fine with the fretting hand though sometimes the strings show some resistance to bending ,the thing that made me wonder is that i tried to play a friend's guitar who uses the same strings mark and gauge as me (La Bella perfectly balanced sets) and his guitar was way easier to play than mine,so can someone please tell me what's wrong with my guitar,it broke 3 of my new strings the last few days it's getting even worse everyday!thanks guys
Do you stretch the new strings when you restring?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
It sounds like you might have tuned to a higher pitch than standard 440
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
no they're tuned exactly in pitch and in the right octave for each string,but since the first change (and it was changed by a pro ) the strings became tighter to pick thought it's nearly the same gauge as the old strings ,and pickinng was extremly hard especially for the high e and B strings,i even tried to change the pick gauge but that changed nothing still the same prob,and yes he stretched the strings,there must be something,i mean if it was the action or something it would've been harder for me to press the strings on the fretboard but i can do it fine,but on other people's guitars i feel they're really a lot easier for picking and and bending,one time i went to a friend to try his guitar and when i tried to play it i couldn't cuz it felt too loose for me,but the truth is that my guitar is too tight qnd that really affects my playability
Last edited by alblkreaper at Oct 27, 2015,
I'd guess that you're tuned too high, despite your protestations to the contrary.
Everything certainly suggests that, especially the business about breaking strings and difficulty bending.

What guitar is this, and do you know the scale (24.75", 25.5", etc.?)
Quote by alblkreaper
no they're tuned exactly in pitch and in the right octave for each string,but since the first change (and it was changed by a pro ) the strings became tighter to pick thought it's nearly the same gauge as the old strings ,and pickinng was extremly hard especially for the high e and B strings,i even tried to change the pick gauge but that changed nothing still the same prob,and yes he stretched the strings,there must be something,i mean if it was the action or something it would've been harder for me to press the strings on the fretboard but i can do it fine,but on other people's guitars i feel they're really a lot easier for picking and and bending,one time i went to a friend to try his guitar and when i tried to play it i couldn't cuz it felt too loose for me,but the truth is that my guitar is too tight qnd that really affects my playability

No they are not, because if they were you would not experience the problems your having.

you stating your friends felt loose, but his was in tune tells me yours is not tuned to correct pitch even if the note reads right.

Don't worry, it has happened to me a few times over the years
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
no i'm using a tuner mate ,and it's correctly tuned,and his guitar was tuned too,i check the tuning daily,but like i told you since the first re-stringing it started to feel odd,maybe the guy messed with the truss rod or the bridge
Last edited by alblkreaper at Oct 27, 2015,
Adjusting the truss rod shouldn't make your strings tighter. Maybe you've tuned an octave higher than you should have.
no they're just in tune,each strings sounds right and not an octave higher,i can tell even without a tuner
Quote by esky15
Adjusting the truss rod shouldn't make your strings tighter. Maybe you've tuned an octave higher than you should have.

All of his strings would break if he tuned a whole octave higher, not only 3 I guess.

TS, check if your tuner really says that the pitch is at 440 Hz. Yeah, the tuner may say that your strings are in tune, but they can be in tune to, like, 445 Hz.

If it is indeed at 440 Hz, I don't know what is causing your problem.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 27, 2015,
here's my guitar strings tuning now
E4:328,7Hz
B3:broke
G3:195,10Hz
D3:144.5Hz
A2:109 HZ
E2:81.32Hz
hope this helps
this is just bizarre.

seek professional help.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 27, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
this is bizarre.

if your strings are "too tight for picking" they are either tuned too high or are very old. the physics doesn't support anything else involving the strings themselves.

Judging from his frequencies, the strings are just a bit looser than what they should be. Isn't E2 supposed to be at 82.41 Hz with A4 = 440 Hz? I mean, it really depends on the string brand, each brand has different tensions I suppose, but yeah...

TS, try new strings. You could have just got a set of bad strings. I can't think of anything else to solve your problem.
Your symptoms from a physics perspective do not make any sense. You guitar should be fine.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Adjusting the truss rod sure can change how the strings feel. Depending how everything else is with the setup I would perhaps loosen the truss rod a bit, if this is really a problem.
Quote by dthmtl3
Adjusting the truss rod sure can change how the strings feel. Depending how everything else is with the setup I would perhaps loosen the truss rod a bit, if this is really a problem.

How?

Even if the tension of the strings did change when the truss rod was tightened, then the strings will go up in pitch, which requires tuning the strings back down again and cancelling the effect of increasing the tension.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 27, 2015,
Yeah, get a new set of strings and see if anything changes for the better.

That is weird
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DanyFS
Judging from his frequencies, the strings are just a bit looser than what they should be. Isn't E2 supposed to be at 82.41 Hz with A4 = 440 Hz? I mean, it really depends on the string brand, each brand has different tensions I suppose, but yeah...

TS, try new strings. You could have just got a set of bad strings. I can't think of anything else to solve your problem.

i don't have A4 but A2 with 110Hz frequencie
and the low E string is supposed to be 82.41 but i didn't tune it just exactly like that
anyway as i said since the first string change the guitar started to feel odd
and it's not the string brand ,cuz my friend uses the same strings but they feel totally different on his guitar
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Your symptoms from a physics perspective do not make any sense.
You guitar should be fine.

i tried an other electric guitar and it was totally different and easier to play
i've been saying this all day long bro xD
bottom line is that individual string tension is what brings a string up to pitch. no matter what you change within the guitars geometry (truss rod tweaks, action adjustments, etc..), at the end of the day, string tension is what makes the desired pitch. if you cannot achieve nor maintain the correct tension upon the string given it's physical properties ie; c/s mass, tensile strength, elastic modulus, etc.. to obtain that desired pitch, it ain't ever gonna happen.

let's review:
-guitar was fine when new. scale is 25.5

-strings soon feel stiff and hard to play.

-guitar gets new strings from a "pro", old gage and brand unknown. new gage is .009~.046, brand is la bella

-problem continues. "getting worse every day", strings are breaking.

-op compares guitar with friends guitar. scale length is unknown. tunes in unison to friends guitar. problem still persists.

correct?

observations and possible course of action:
-broken strings. mechanical issues with the saddles, nut, or tuning posts, or strings are tuned high, or you are mauling your strings like a yeti. you did not state where the strings break.

-get new softer strings. ime la bella's are stiff. super slinky's are pretty soft. dr tite fits and pure blues are soft as well and have a round core. d'addario's are in between.

-understand and calibrate the tuner. double check with online tuners or tuner apps. trust but verify. a 440 tuning fork is a solid standard. imo, i think you really need to understand this stuff.

-or go back to the "pro", declare wtf?, and demand satisfaction.
Last edited by ad_works at Oct 27, 2015,
Quote by alblkreaper
i don't have A4 but A2 with 110Hz frequencie
and the low E string is supposed to be 82.41 but i didn't tune it just exactly like that
anyway as i said since the first string change the guitar started to feel odd
and it's not the string brand ,cuz my friend uses the same strings but they feel totally different on his guitar

You didn't understood what I said... Concert pitch is A4=440 Hz. If you tune your guitar using A4 = 440 Hz as reference, your low E will have a frequency of 82.41 Hz. Check this out: http://www.seventhstring.com/resources/notefrequencies.html

Check your tuner and set the concert pitch to 440. If it doesn't has this option, then it is already at 440 by default.

Try tuning with other tuners too.

Read again what I said. You might have gotten a set of bad strings. It happens. Quality control isn't perfect. That's why I suggested to change strings again and see what happens. It has happened to me getting bad strings two or three times.

What is the scale of his guitar? If it's not 25.5 like yours, they will obviously feel different. Also, there are other things that make strings feel different, like the action of the guitar.
Get a digital Micrometer and check the string diameter (strings slackened off), it wouldn't be the first time the wrong strings have been in the right packet or gave been put in packets out of step with each other... 11 thou in the 9 thou packet, 16 thou in the 11 thou packet and if your third (G) is wound then that's a dead givaway.

What brand strings came off it?

Sounds like a set of 11's or 12's (into acoustic size string sets) to me.
Be interested to see the diameters of 'em.

Don't play with the truss-rod to try and get things right, you could do a lot more damage than good if the string gauge is out.

Cheers
Get a new and different brand of strings. A truss rod adjustment will not cause what you are talking about so if it was adjusted by a pro leave it alone. DanyFS is right about quality control. Let's just assume the strings were mislabeled at the factory and put in the wrong package and put on a new set. If you bought several sets of the same strings from the same place get another brand to be sure it just that brand. I had a box of Ernie Ball Slinky string sets that had a mislabeled B string in each set. It happens.

The same thing often happens with batteries. You put a new set of batteries in something that wasn't working and it still doesn't work. You drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what's wrong only to find that those "new" batteries were no good right out of the package. It happens.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 28, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
this is just bizarre.

seek professional help.

+1
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
+1

unfortunately i caved in and tried to help. look where that went.
OK,
Ye Canna Change The Laws Of Physics...
So...
It must logically be either :-

1) Strings are over-tightened.

2) Strings are heavier gauge than stated on the pack.

3) Scale length is way over 25.4" bridge saddle to Nut.

4) Strings are made of a substance not conducive to making guitar strings out of.

1, The most probabl cause, but discounted because your tuner says they are OK... how much faith do you put in your tuner especially if (by the sound of things) it is the first time you have used it? Try it out on another known "in tune" guitar.

2, It's not unknown for wrong sized strings in right size packets... Measure them with digital micrometer (doesn't have to be digital, analogue works fine).

3, Not very likely and easily measured.

4, Very unlikely boardering impossible seeing as La Bella was Established in the 1640s and started manufacture in USA when the first factory opened in 1914 at 170 Fifth Avenue.... they should know what to make guitar strings from by now.

I have been setting up and repairing guitars for some years now and these are the only reasons I can see that would cause you the problem you are having.
Unless any one else can come up with anything I've missed out???

Simplest thing (and easiest for you) is just to take the whole thing to your local music shop, explain problem and ask for thier advice.
Last edited by oblivion5036 at Oct 28, 2015,
Your guitar is possessed. You'll need an old priest and a young priest.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If it's definitely not the tuning as you say it isn't, take it back to the store where the guy changed the strings and ask wtf he did to it... and let us know hahaha
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Sounds like they put the wrong gauge strings on.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
It's a thing with the truss rod.Propably to much bow in the neck and needs to be straightened a bit.I've had this many times on a couple of my guitars, very easy to check for and tighten the truss rod a little.If it were the opposite way that would cause strings buzzing on the frets.
Quote by DarthV
Sounds like they put the wrong gauge strings on.

This.

Just buy new strings. The gauge should be fine. 46-9 should feel pretty loose.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by King Shredder
New strings are not going to make any difference to a setup issue.

Yes they will if a) they are bad strings, b) they are the wrong gauge strings.

Adjusting truss rod, action, etc, doesn't makes the strings feel stiffer or looser. What determines the stiffness of the strings is the gauge and the tuning. (edit: And scale length, forgot about that)

TS's problem doesn't sounds like a setup issue, but a issue with either bad strings or wrong gauge strings. As I said before, QC fails at times and problems like this one may happen from time to time.
Last edited by DanyFS at Oct 31, 2015,
Quote by DanyFS
Yes they will if a) they are bad strings, b) they are the wrong gauge strings.

Adjusting truss rod, action, etc, doesn't makes the strings feel stiffer or looser. What determines the stiffness of the strings is the gauge and the tuning.

Exactly. Well, tweaking the truss rod could have a tiny effect on the overall nut to bridge distance, but not enough to really be noticeable.

9-46 would never feel tight on a 24.75 or 25.5" scale guitar.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Don't touch the truss rod. Of course you could check if your neck relief is set up correctly (there are plenty of guides online), but if it's set up correctly, adjusting your truss rod is just going to screw up your set up. If it's not causing the problem, adjusting it is not going to solve anything. And it is not causing the problem, I'm 100% sure of that.

Also, I would only advise checking the neck relief after you get new strings. If they have screwed up with the string gauges, your neck relief will change when you change your strings.

The problems you are describing don't sound like adjusting the truss rod is going to change anything. I have had too much neck bow on my guitar and the strings didn't feel noticeably tighter. They were harder to press down (because badly set up neck results in high action), but that's not what TS is describing. I'm pretty sure the strings are the wrong gauges. They may have accidentally installed two low E strings, an A string instead of a D string, a D string instead of a G string, etc. This would be a good explanation, but I can't be sure.

Or then the strings are just bad - sometimes they are. Buy new strings. If that doesn't fix it, then there's really something wrong with your guitar. But I don't know how that could even be possible. Nothing can really affect the string tension that much. 9-46 set should always feel pretty loose on a normal scale length guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you've had the same set of strings on for a while and they were fine before i don't think they stiffen up or ''go bad'' by themselves like that, bridge height doesn't change by itself either.Doesn't leave much else but the neck relief which needs periodic adjustment.
Quote by King Shredder
If you've had the same set of strings on for a while and they were fine before i don't think they stiffen up or ''go bad'' by themselves like that, bridge height doesn't change by itself either.Doesn't leave much else but the neck relief which needs periodic adjustment.

He bought the guitar. The strings were fine when he bought the guitar. He eventually changed the strings. The new ones that he changed to are giving him the problems he mentioned.

He still has those same strings that are giving him problems. They were bad from the time he put them on. So yeah, they are either bad strings or wrong gauge strings.
OK, so basically it needs to be set up for different gauge strings or go back to the type that was on before if that's known.A higher string gauge will have higher tension at the same tuning and this will cause more bowing in the neck which will make it seem like having a very high string tension.Higher gauge strings by themselves will not cause a dramatic increase in the string tension feel like you've described when the guitar is set up right.Truss rod needs to be adjusted for the right amount of counter tension for thicker strings.
Last edited by King Shredder at Oct 31, 2015,
Page 1 of 2